IGNORED

Yes-Topographic Oceans on HD Tracks?

Listening now - this sounds absolutely wonderful. Not at all surprised by the DR data and spectrum plots, this is magnificent. Better than the CD or either vinyl copy I have.

Way to go HDTracks! Wish they could all be like this!

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage

Listening now - this sounds absolutely wonderful. Not at all surprised by the DR data and spectrum plots, this is magnificent. Better than the CD or either vinyl copy I have.

Way to go HDTracks! Wish they could all be like this!

The HDtracks version of "The Yes Album" is very similar to this. I'm just amazed we FINALLY got an audiophile grade version of Tales and they did not screw it up.

Just looked at DR on the database and it is the best next to vinyl and about the same there! I'll buy this weekend when they run the Labor Day Sale (hoping).

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

This album has the power to divide Yes fans (even members) down the middle.

I don't think it's possible that a Hi-res version is going to win over the fans that don't like this album, personally speaking. To me the opening track sounds like a game of 52 pickup.

For those that enjoy, go right ahead.

I did not hesitate to purchase Tales From Topographic Oceans 192/24 based on the feedback too early to benefit from the later discount offer published just in time for me to miss its posting.

I have no quarrel with those fans/members who are enthralled with this YES release. Music needs to be enjoyed not judged. One person's "must have" is another person's "take mine, please". Although on many occasions first listening followed by subsequent sessions changed my assessment to favorable. The start with the album was so mixed I just grew tired of it. By the opening of the third track, I had to stop play. I am reminded of Fragile and a few others I truly appreciate, but am unable to be taken with Tales. And woefully disappointed to be disappointed as I was so looking forward to another Yes addition to enjoy. This has nothing to do with anyone who has a different experience.

So for this YES ouevre I say NO. I concur with half of One and a half's assessment: I am sorry to conclude I am not impressed with most of the album musically compared to other of their discography. For those who do enjoy this music, I am glad. That's our goal.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

try fiio15 for 15% off. Worked for me a couple of days ago.

Thanks jazzy, that worked a treat to download TFTO and the 24/192 Ella Fitzgerald with Count Basie. :)

Now to go and listen to them!

Synology NAS, Mac Mini 2011 (with SSD and 16GB RAM), Lampizator L4 Gen4 PCM DAC, Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2 line pre-amp, SGR CX4F active speakers, Apple iPad (as remote).

Software: OS X Mavericks, Amarra Symphony 3.0 with iRC/Audirvana Plus 1.5.12/, Remoter VNC (on iPad). CAD OS X script v2.2 (to remove redundant processes).

OS X Mavericks running from SD card; 8 GB RAM disk for music files.

All connected via a snakes nest of various exotic cables! ;o)

I did not hesitate to purchase Tales From Topographic Oceans 192/24 based on the feedback too early to benefit from the later discount offer published just in time for me to miss its posting.

I have no quarrel with those fans/members who are enthralled with this YES release. Music needs to be enjoyed not judged. One person's "must have" is another person's "take mine, please". Although on many occasions first listening followed by subsequent sessions changed my assessment to favorable. The start with the album was so mixed I just grew tired of it. By the opening of the third track, I had to stop play. I am reminded of Fragile and a few others I truly appreciate, but am unable to be taken with Tales. And woefully disappointed to be disappointed as I was so looking forward to another Yes addition to enjoy. This has nothing to do with anyone who has a different experience.

So for this YES ouevre I say NO. I concur with half of One and a half's assessment: I am sorry to conclude I am not impressed with most of the album musically compared to other of their discography. For those who do enjoy this music, I am glad. That's our goal.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

As a big fan of Yes's music I generally concur with your sentiments. I do quite enjoy the album but would agree that it is nowhere near what I consider the holy trinity of Yes - Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge. I would put Topographic Oceans in that next group of albums from their 70s output along with Relayer and Going for the One. There is indeed some interesting music in there but also many forgettable moments. They would have been far better off if they weren't trying TOO HARD to be progressive and complex IMO. The concept and album are just too over-the-top to succeed. It's kinda like they were bound to this idea of 4 long pieces each around 20 minutes long to fill one record side so did that no matter what - adding lots of filler to a few interesting ideas on each side. Would have been better just making another album like Close to the Edge, perhaps shortening each piece to 10 minutes and eliminating some of the fluff.

Just IMO. Still enjoy the album but it was the beginning of the end of their ​brilliant run IMO.

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage

• 2 years later...

Topographic sounds lovely in high rez. Have it in 196k/24. The Remembering has an immediacy in the keyboard sounds that sound like their plugged directly into your stereo. Wow. Clean and warm sound, and punchy. Decent noise floor. Best version I've heard, and of course beats any LP in the noise floor/distortion department.

Other titles, like Going For The One and Drama don't fare so well. Surprising as I thought Drama would really jump out as a winner, being a good recording, but for some reason, it lacks the punch and clarity of Top. GFTO sounds (to me) rather like the versions I know: very tinselly recording with recessed/smeared vocals and some congestion in the mids.

Haven't bought the Yes Album yet, but the samples sound fantastic - right off the master tape: low noise floor, dimensional and clear.

90125: meh, wanted this to sound great, but it's a very processed sound to begin with. Maybe give it another listen...

Excellent news but I have to say that I'm surprised that there is no discernible tape hiss given the year it was recorded.

Esau

Very little tape hiss - it's there, but doesn't get in the way of an otherwise finely captured recording. I notice more on GFTO and Drama, actually. Definitive version for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Just a head's up that the Steven Wilson version of this should be out sometime this year.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Just a head's up that the Steven Wilson version of this should be out sometime this year.

I hope so!

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

OK so don't trust me...........I am over 30 for sure! I read about it over at SH site and now the more I read it looks like it is not coming out. A bummer. I really prefer the SW mixes to anything out there. CTTE is really good in remix and remaster and I believe I've owned almost every iteration of that (yes, back in the day an 8 track for the car, that was laughable how it would switch tracks during a dramatic passage!).

OK so don't trust me...........I am over 30 for sure! I read about it over at SH site and now the more I read it looks like it is not coming out. A bummer. I really prefer the SW mixes to anything out there. CTTE is really good in remix and remaster and I believe I've owned almost every iteration of that (yes, back in the day an 8 track for the car, that was laughable how it would switch tracks during a dramatic passage!).

Is the SW CTTE mix available as a download? I have the Blu Ray but find the ripping process too laborious. I love that mix though, even just the stereo version.

It's really confused. Steve Howe says SW is working on it. SW says project abandoned. An "Insider" says it's done. The Insider retracts. At another forum there are some screen shots of a sleeve that were supposed to think is the forthcoming product. etc.

Well clearly a lot of people are very interested in this.