IGNORED

Best way to control macmini from ipad

Hi. I have my macmini set up using Amarra linked to iTunes and I want to run it headless controlling it with my ipad.

So far I've had a quick play with the "remote" app which is all right but I find it a bit fiddly. I have read on here somewhere ( can't find it now! ) that Screens is the way to go but I'm wondering how that works on a small screen like the iPad's. Would it work well?

Any other suggestions would be most gratefully received.

Thanks

B

Remote App is the easiest way in my experience using several vnc programs BUT I like amarra much better in playlist mode where Remote App is useless, and so I am currently using mocha vnc program, but it's clunky to use. Unfortunately, no vnc I am aware of allows you to watch the screen on the iPad (view only) , and view the mouse cursor -- the cursor doesn't show up on the iPad screen. If I could see the cursor on the ipad screen then I could use the mouse and avoid the clunky touch screen vnc commands.

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I like Remote which works fine for iTunes but I also use Amarra and would like to be able to have more control over it, hence my question. I have heard a lot of good things about Screens but was concerned to try and show the whole desktop on an iPad was a bit of a tough task. Do the other apps you suggest avoid this issue? I suppose that they allow you to "zoom in" on one app so that, for example only Amarra fills the screen, which would make it manageable.

Shame there are no free trials of apps nowadays.

B

Hi,

(New member,... Just getting started with mac mini computer audio system)

I use Roomie Remote which has a great itunes control interface.

It may not meet the "best" criteria but I also use it to control the rest of my gear so it's convenient in that regard.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I like Remote which works fine for iTunes but I also use Amarra and would like to be able to have more control over it, hence my question. I have heard a lot of good things about Screens but was concerned to try and show the whole desktop on an iPad was a bit of a tough task. Do the other apps you suggest avoid this issue? I suppose that they allow you to "zoom in" on one app so that, for example only Amarra fills the screen, which would make it manageable.

Shame there are no free trials of apps nowadays.

B

They are all scene-sharing vmc-like programs. Usually you just do the iPad pinch thing to zoom in and out.

Looks like splashtop is now ripoff-ware. Sorry.

I gave Splashtop a go. it was free when i got it yesterday. I had a quick play but found the sound was coming from my iPhone. I'm not sure how to remedy this but apparentl there is a sound app that is downloaded at the same time I need to fiddle about with? Does this interfere with the sound quality at all?

B

If you want to go the VNC route, then Real VNC is the way to go, although a bit costly (~$40 for VNC and $10 for iPhone app)

DS411+II <-> Mac Mini -> El cheapo 1 ft USB Cable -> QB9 -> Tyr XLR -> YBA Passion Integre 300 -> Auditorium 23 -> Vaughn Cabernets

What's the problem with Splashtop? Using it every day, and for the 4 bucks I paid am extremely happy.

I went to link the iTunes store thing, and everyone was ranking it one * and complaining that they were tricked into upgrading to a "free" piece of software whose functionality needs to be re-purchased as in-app purchases.

I actually didn't check myself to see if it still works. It has been awhile since I used the iPad like this. I guess I need to test it and see if it still works. I bought several other VNC-type apps, so I can revert to one of those if needed.

I went to link the iTunes store thing, and everyone was ranking it one * and complaining that they were tricked into upgrading to a "free" piece of software whose functionality needs to be re-purchased as in-app purchases.

I actually didn't check myself to see if it still works. It has been awhile since I used the iPad like this. I guess I need to test it and see if it still works. I bought several other VNC-type apps, so I can revert to one of those if needed.

I paid $4 and haven't been forced to spend anything since. The software does offer some paid in-app options like everywhere remote access or expanded keys which I don't use.

I suppose the 0$ approach was kind of a limited time free trial but probably not clearly advertised as such.

Overall, I'm very happy with Splashtop and use it several times daily.

I gave Splashtop a go. it was free when i got it yesterday. I had a quick play but found the sound was coming from my iPhone. I'm not sure how to remedy this but apparentl there is a sound app that is downloaded at the same time I need to fiddle about with? Does this interfere with the sound quality at all?

B

I think this is actually a proper functionality of Splashtop, that you can direct the sound to the Ipad if you wish to. You can deactivate this in the Splashtop streamer (on your Mac) options.

Haven't seen any impact on SQ.

Splashtop will ask for your permission to install sound flower (which is more or less harmless) and then will do this sound re-route. (This is what normal users want.) Just tell it not to stream the sound, or remove the Soundflower kernel extensions.

• 1 year later...