IGNORED

How much SHOULD I spend on a DAC relative to other components I have?

I've been looking at DACs thinking, "I only want to spend X or no more than Y" but never really considering how much I should spend based on the other components I have.

I don't want to buy something that will bring my system down sound wise but there's also no sense buying something so good that I won't notice the quality based on what I have now. Here's what I have:

Amp: Jolida JD1501 RC Integrated Hybrid Amplifier - ~$1,000

Speakers: Onix RS 750 Rockets - I think I paid ~$1,600

What do you think I should spend?

Thanks!!

Just enough to buy the DAC that you really like, whatever that may be. Start the auditions!

But as suggestions, the AudioQuest Dragonfly, a DAC*IT, a Wavelength Proton or Wavelength Brick, Music Fidelity M1, the Jolida Dac, MyDac, half a dozen others under $1000.

If you decide to go over a grand, you have a much wider selection, but conversely, the differences may be slighlty less obvious.

DACs are, without a doubt, the most fun to audition components to me. :)

-Paul

I've been looking at DACs thinking, "I only want to spend X or no more than Y" but never really considering how much I should spend based on the other components I have.

I don't want to buy something that will bring my system down sound wise but there's also no sense buying something so good that I won't notice the quality based on what I have now. Here's what I have:

Thanks!!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Should spend? No such thing. Try to get out and listen to at least a couple. If there's one you like a lot better, great. If not, save your money.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

A sub-$1000 DAC of your choice will do a job nicely, but as discussed it is up to you to audition and choose a specific DAC for yourself. And do not forget about transport - it is where your music chain starts and if its of poor quality none of the DACs would be able to correct it.

Main system: Music Server (Win 7/64+Foobar+JPlay) -> Furutech GT2 USB Cable -> Audiolab M-DAC -> Plinius 9200 (Chord Anthem interconnects) -> ATC SCM 40 w/Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cables

I'd say there's two classes that now seem to emerge: the ~$300-500 class where you get excellent entry level products, from Dragonfly to Shiit Bifrost to Rensonessence Concero to Micromega MyDac, plus the others mentioned by Paul. Most would agree that you can get great sound with excellent value for money out of those.

To move up, I'd strongly suggest trying some of the $1000-1500 category, that are at least for some a real step up in detail and definition, e.g. Wadia 121, Simple Design Sonore/exD (also has DSD), or the brand new Naim DAC V-1.

And also agree with obt_man, that you may want to put some money aside for a USB-SPDIF converter (usually improves most DACs in the <$2000 range), potentially an IFI USB power, plus cables.

And also agree with obt_man, that you may want to put some money aside for a USB-SPDIF converter (usually improves most DACs in the <$2000 range), potentially an IFI USB power, plus cables.

I don't think I understand why I'd need the USB/SPDIF converter...Couldn't I just hook up to the SPDIF output on my motherboard? Sorry, if it's a dumb question...

Thanks.

You most certainly can use the USB entry of any modern asynchronous DAC directly.

It has been a common observation on this forum that in the <2000$ price range the USB implementation is usually ok, but can very often be improved by a dedicated SPDIF converter with a high quality clock. You can find more reading in several threads here.

Don't be scared, I'd strongly recommend you start with a DAC alone and keep the external converter as an upgrade option for later.

Thanks!!

The Lindemann 825 dac at $1,100 is a good one. Teac will soon launch the UD-501 DSD Dac for $799, we are told....will do DSD 1 and 2.

Lots of choices!