IGNORED

Greatest hits CD's . . . Do they typically suck?

Now that I am having great experience with computer music I will pick up some music, on CD, that I have in my vinyl collection.

I wanted some Aerosmith so I picked up a greatest hits CD. Ripped and playback is nothing I would use. I will just play a record.

So I am asking, from your experience, should I just look for the original and stay away from any greatest hits CD's? I usually never buy a greatest hits anything. BTW . . . I am ripping to Mac Mini, XLD, AIF, and my CD rips sound great except for recent greatest hits rip.

Thanks in advance.

My System TWO SPEAKERS AND A CHAIR

I avoid them based on my limited experiance from many years ago.

They typically are produced with little concern for the audio quality, their producer's intent being of a more monetary motivation, IMHO.

I am sure there are exceptions.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

With the ability these days to sample stuff online I'd say no. I used to buy them to test the waters and see if I liked a band but now I just sample YouTube and search out albums if I find someone I like.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

It highly depends on whose hits they are.

A Pink Floyd greatest hits, or Beethoven greatest hits, would suck, ipso facto.

I'm listening to Joy Division's greatest hits right now, and that is well-done. I like the Radiohead greatest hits I picked up on iTunes.

In what way?

In the selection of tracks or in terms of audio quality?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

It highly depends on whose hits they are...
The flow of Joni Mitchell's "Hits" CD is breathtaking; it is like a concept album consisting entirely of 5 star songs.

In what way? ... In the selection of tracks or in terms of audio quality?
... and for what reason? I purchased Supertramp's "Retrospectacle" because it was a well done remastering of many of the tracks I wanted in an improved quality from the Supertramp CDs I already own. (FWIW, I have lots of Joni Mitchell too.)

Frankly, there are lots of bands where "Greatest Hits" are all I would want. Many albums are just collections of songs anyway with no over-arching "concept" tying them together.

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

I have 4 (I think!) .. The Cars Complete Greatest Hits, The Police Every Breath You Take: The Singles, Duran Duran Greatest, and The Clash The Singles. Although I rarely, if ever, listen to them in their entirety, I like to use them for playlists .. especially for a drive.

Dylan's Greatest Hits, the Beatles' Red and Blue albums, and the Stones' Hot Rocks.

Though it's hard to imagine people not buying several original albums for all of these artists.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I never, ever buy greatest hits albums, I dislike them intensely - I'm not really sure why, I just do. If I like an artist I explore their catalogue and buy the albums that strike a chord, which often means all of them . . . lol.

I only ever listen to complete albums too, so this could have something to do with it - an album to me is a complete work, put together for specific reasons, so picking out hits from an entire career seems disjointed and wrong to me.

My other hatred in music is *shuffle* play, the work of the devil - I do also know I may be a bit odd ;)

Tim

"Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air." - Tom Waits

Main: Custom W10/JRiver/FLAC music server | Rega DAC | Rega Brio-R | MA Bronze2

........I only ever listen to complete albums........

Yet another thing we have in common.

My other hatred in music is *shuffle* play, the work of the devil

*shuffle* = my radio (both analog & internet)

I do also know I may be a bit odd ;)

& yes, you are odd......

.....Odd as me.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!