IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

my AQ Diamond has arrived. now I just have to suffer through the burn-in process...

best regards to all

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I recently bought the Synergistic Research Active SE with Enigma tuning circuits. Love it!

Musician Setup

Black Mac Pro 2014 ->Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt ->Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Cable --> Harmonic Tech Magic Link 2 XLR --> Focal Twin BE 6's --> 2 Silent Source The Music Reference Power Cords --> LAT International Signature Power Cords --> Balanced Power Tech AC power Cord with Furutech Connects ->>Balanced Power AC Pure Power Center-->Dedicated AC line with PS Audio Soloist Limited Edition.

I recently bought the Synergistic Research Active SE with Enigma tuning circuits. Love it!

love that one, too, especially with the black bullet

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Yes, black bullet all the way.

Musician Setup

Black Mac Pro 2014 ->Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt ->Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Cable --> Harmonic Tech Magic Link 2 XLR --> Focal Twin BE 6's --> 2 Silent Source The Music Reference Power Cords --> LAT International Signature Power Cords --> Balanced Power Tech AC power Cord with Furutech Connects ->>Balanced Power AC Pure Power Center-->Dedicated AC line with PS Audio Soloist Limited Edition.

I would like to try the synergistic cable. Amazingly, Paul Pang in China, makes some fantastic cables. His USB cable is pretty amazing. I was using an AQ Diamond and like his 300 dollar cable better. Really a very good cable I wholeheartedly recommend.

I also also recommend very strongly, his SATA cable which is equally effective.

Lastly, I recommend Acoustic Revives Ethernet filter.

I had Nordost Blue Heaven USB in my system. Changed it to Vertere D-Fi Double USB. Wow. Big improvement. Bass is huge and clear (after some 80-100 hours though). Have not tried other upgrade USB cables. Best thing I ever done in terms of getting rid of digital glare though, was buying Meicords audiophile Cat 6 ethernet cables. Perfect sound, no matter what power conditions in the neighborhood.

Auralic Aries LE - Intona - W4S RUR - Curious Cable - Metrum Pavane DAC - PS Audio BHK preamp - McIntosh MC601 - Magico S3 - 2 x JL Audio f112. LPS: Paul Hynes SR7, Empirical Dynamo, HDPLEX, SBooster. Cabling & power conditioning: Lessloss, Synergistic Research. Isolation: Stillpoints Ultra SS.

• 4 weeks later...

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

I had upon reading through this thread among others decided to try out the Mapleshade USB cord. I was pretty excited to see what it could do. I have had a Ridge Street Audio Alethias cord for quite a few years and I don't really know how it compares to the latest stuff. Not like I'm not happy with my system just wanted to try out a USB cord for fun. When I got the cord and plugged it in I was immediately noticing some popping and clicking type noises coming through my speakers. When I moved the cord I could aggravate it. I couldn't seem to dress the cord in a way to make it not happen. Also the sound was not good either, much of the life was sucked from the music and it was dull. I swear even my airplay devices seemed to suffer though you would think this was impossible. I called the Mapleshade guys and they said they have had problems with this cord and certain Mac systems. I am using a 2013 iMac and PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC II. What a bummer I was really looking forward to this. They guys at Mapleshade said they don't really have an answer for why just that they had been told of the same symptoms before. They were very nice and promptly issued me a return authorization.

Nope but I have the continental USB for 325 and i can say i performs solidly and is very neutral.

You mean the Oyaide Continental 5S? $325?

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Why do you think they get it right? Have you measured the impedance of any USB cables? My guess is "no".

You are right about one thing: they will be more consistent than something made by hand. Consistent does not mean right. (Sort of like bragging "We are ISO 9000!", when all it could mean is "What we make stinks, but everything we make stinks in exactly the same way.)

Hah, this thread was indeed very interesting! I've been lent a Y cable from Kingrex together with their UPower battery brick, I'll give it more critical listening with my "Stello Eximus DP1" DAC and will chime in with impressions in due time :)

Hi leeperry,

I'm curious about the Kingrex. Any findings so far ? Do you like it ? Thanks.

Robert

WD Thunderbolt > Mac mini i7-3615QM/16GB/OSX 10.9.2 optimised > A+ 1.5.10 > Asus Essence One Muses Edition > XLR > Plinius M16 > XLR > Plinius SA100/III > Harbeth M30

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody, hell, my dear sir...Cheap adaptors to better the Chord USB? You have just saved me some money, although I have a modest DAC and pair of speakers - Arcam rPAC and Boston Acoustics A25, 150 GBP each.They are connected with the worst possible cables to HK 6550 integrated amp.So now I am desperately stuck between Chord Silver USB, Furutech ADL Formula 2, and some adaptors-I cannot find the exact ones you have shown, may I use any adaptors? Can anyone help me?

• 2 weeks later...
There is an interesting review of different USB cables in the last issue of HiFi Critic (UK). This is a great, ad-free mag published by Martin Colloms.

The cable tested were:

AQ Carbon

AQ Diamond

Cardas Clear

Chord USB Silver Plus

Furutech GT2

Kimber USB

Kimber USB-AG

QED Graphite

Supra USB

Wireworld Platinium Starlight USB

Each cable was given a points score. Interestingly, they found that longer USB cables, sound noticeably worse than shorter versions of same cable.

Was considering the QED Graphite or Supra as i'm not convinced on spending mega bucks on a USB cable, in that review how did they do?

Was considering the QED Graphite or Supra as i'm not convinced on spending mega bucks on a USB cable, in that review how did they do?

Since I know HiFi Critic testing are made by DBT...

The problem is each computer (or music server) and DAC (or USB interface) are very different at the USB end. Then it could be very hard to establish the 'correct' USB cable length and construction for the 'best' SQ. And the 'bets' SQ for who? For your (musical) taste, or of those on the DBT?

Please don't fool yourself, to choose the right USB cable please make the comparison with your gear. There are DACs very sensitive to USB cables and others that don't. An other very important thing, there is no USB cable in this world that can change completely the sonic signature (or SQ) of a DAC. Changes are, most of the time, very subtle.

Good luck,

Roch

Since I know HiFi Critic testing are made by DBT...

The problem is each computer (or music server) and DAC (or USB interface) are very different at the USB end. Then it could be very hard to establish the 'correct' USB cable length and construction for the 'best' SQ. And the 'bets' SQ for who? For your (musical) taste, or of those on the DBT?

Please don't fool yourself, to choose the right USB cable please make the comparison with your gear. There are DACs very sensitive to USB cables and others that don't. An other very important thing, there is no USB cable in this world that can change completely the sonic signature (or SQ) of a DAC. Changes are, most of the time, very subtle.

Good luck,

Roch

Thanks Roch,

Hmmm difficult to try many low budget cables, so has anyone recommendations for the Arcam rDac (with upgraded PSU) ?

Someone has tested Oyaide NEO d+ USB Class S ?

I've got one - but my old Locus Nucleus is far more detailed and dynamic but no longer available (sadly Lee, the manufacturer, died suddenly).

Source: Pink Faun Ultra - Chord DAVE

Amps: VTV Purifi

Speakers: Trenner and Friedel RA

Cables : JCAT reference USB, Tellerium XLR, Kubula-Sosna Elation speaker

Plus CEC TL 5 Cd transport - Blackcat Tron BNC - Chord DAVE

For the Audioquest Diamond or any Audioquest cable with the xxV DBS battery packs, there should be no break-in period required as the constant voltage acts like a permanent break-in.

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

I am building a 2 stage power supply for USB use, the first will supply 7.5Vdc with low ripple (<1mV) for upto 1A,

RF control will be a priority, as well as propogation of noise from mains to output. The second box supplies 5.000V

upto 1.0A, fully protected, noise figure under 5uV rms, controlled turn on (reduce in-rush), high stability with regard to temp, load etc. I am also modifying a 24bit ADC with a 4.096V reference (SOIC) to be trimmed to 4.09600V and +/-1ppm/oC and noise figure around 2uV rms . for my DAC i am obtaining a Hiface2. System Sansui AUD11, Modded hafler DH100 (150Wrms), JH audiolab turntable, Sony PSX-800 turntable, Sansui FM tuner, TEAC and ROTEL cassette units, Technics SB-10 and Polk Audio model 3 speakers. Computer custom water cooled i7 2600K @4.8GHz 16GB of 2133 @ 2400MHz, 10x4TB HDD, 2x250GB SSD, 2 x Bluray burners, 1.5Kw power supply, 2 x24" monitors, Fatality pro soundcard , dual tuner digital TV card etc etc , Blackberry playbook, looking for an HP white tablet (touchpad ?) . I am getting an A&B systems 6N MkII cut to allow the psu to be used (power lines only). Love a pair of magneplanars..... I i get the overall consensus, copper can be a bit dull, silver a bit bright, has anyone used silver plated copper, litz wound, platinum, palladium or rhodium coated/solid wires ?? The 90ohm transmission doesn't need to be maintained on separate power supply lines in the USB cable.

Another +1 on the Mapleshades cable

I had the Belkin cable and was fairly satisfied, there was a slight veil through mid-range and HF plus cymbals were a little too truncated. So, I was hoping for at least some sort of improvement in those areas. The Mapleshades did deliver but provided more of than expected. My own digital cable skepticism is now long gone.

It has been one of the good purchases that has you chasing through different recordings, putting all the checkmarks in the improved section with no trade-off or better on this but worse on that feelings. The standouts are cymbals now actually shimmer and in a lovely metallic way, veil is not only lifted more relaxed with focus, articulation, separation layering and depth. The differences are not subtle or only noticeable in critical listening session...it's just there.

So thanks CA forum for a good recommendation

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

So what did you think of the Diamond cable compared to the others?

Well, when I wrote this I had already tested that cable so I knew what I was going to get. Here and here are the posts where I talk about the differences between the last cables I tested. No need to say that the best in my system was the Diamond, since I actually bought it.

hi, build quality of Tellurium's USB cable is good, it feels like a solid cable, although not as well finished as AQ diamond or Ww platinum. it sounds to me more balanced than the other 2, especially the Ww. if you can, test it in your system. I haven't test graphie version, I suppose it is better, but much more pricier...

regards.oscar

Dear Oscar,

Tellurium Q have now got the Black Diamond in production:-

The first review can be seen here:-