IGNORED

Contemplating purchasing a pair of Zu Definition MK4's based solely on their reputation...

Wow. You spelled Nietzsche correctly. A true man of letters.

Why would efficient speakers sound worse with a squalid state amp?

I didn't even have to google it...

I know Srajan liked his Zus with a low output solid state amp. John Derda of Peachtree told me when he was here that at some audio show they plugged a Grand Integrated into a pair of Def 4s and he said it sounded awesome.

No electron left behind.

I can't remember which book it was from. I couldn't find it on google. I guess that means I thought it up and can take all the credit. Maybe it was "Human, all too human." Or maybe "Twilight of the Idols." Those were my favorite books for channeling teenage angst.

It is all the fault of Google and their nattering nabobs of negativism...

No electron left behind.

So, bringing this thread together with this one: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/question-regarding-soundstage-14752/

Reading the specs on the Zu Druid MK5 and I see this,

"Horizontal Listening Window: 60 degrees

Vertical Listening Window: 60 degrees"

Is this spec telling me that I will have the illusion of a taller sound stage than I am getting now?

You can see it here for yourself: http://www.zuaudio.com/docs/Druid-5A_Specs.pdf

Damn, man, buy them already so the wretched among us can start living better lives vicariously through you!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What color did you get?

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Bill, I have been meaning to type this out for a while, kept forgetting...

Anyway regarding efficient speakers. One of the things I like the best about them is that they never sound, to me anyway, as if they are working hard or straining to produce the sound. How to explain this... Inefficient speakers have to be turned up to get into their "sweet spot" of sound. The more inefficient, the more it has to be turned up. Probably not with all of them but as a general rule, IMO. My Zu's, and probably other efficient speakers as well, can be turned down and still sound as good as they do loud, with no loss of dynamics or sound stage. Second, the amps never sound strained either. They are loafing along storing all that energy for a big dramatic dynamic peak. Ease might be a good word to use to describe how the sound comes out of them, ease and flow. What I like about the Zu speakers in particular is the tone. Acoustic music is just beautiful, as are voices. IMO they are definitely worth a try, even with the amp you have. Or keep your Nova as a pre and get an energy sucking SET Class A Triode tubed power amp... ;-)

No electron left behind.

I ended up ordering the Druid MK5s and an Undertone subwoofer. Now I wait.

After spending some time with the Undertone, I may end up with the Submission... Time will tell.

Bill, here is another Neitzsche quote that fits well on this site...

"People don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." Frederich Neitzsche.

No electron left behind.

Anyway regarding efficient speakers. One of the things I like the best about them is that they never sound, to me anyway, as if they are working hard or straining to produce the sound. How to explain this... Inefficient speakers have to be turned up to get into their "sweet spot" of sound. The more inefficient, the more it has to be turned up. Probably not with all of them but as a general rule, IMO. My Zu's, and probably other efficient speakers as well, can be turned down and still sound as good as they do loud, with no loss of dynamics or sound stage. Second, the amps never sound strained either. They are loafing along storing all that energy for a big dramatic dynamic peak. Ease might be a good word to use to describe how the sound comes out of them, ease and flow. What I like about the Zu speakers in particular is the tone. Acoustic music is just beautiful, as are voices. IMO they are definitely worth a try, even with the amp you have. Or keep your Nova as a pre and get an energy sucking SET Class A Triode tubed power amp... ;-)

Thanks. Sorry, just saw this.

Post back when you get the timorous beasties.

• 5 weeks later...

AudioDoctor - they must have been waiting for you to order the new Druids with the Radian tweeters. I moved into a smaller house (last kid is finishing his Junior year at Emory with an Amazon internship this summer) and was emailing them about speakers. Woul be a pretty big trip to see them from here.

My new room is 9.5x14 feet, and I was wondering about smaller speakers, like the soul superfly with the radian tweeters. They pretty much said the ribbon tweeter is the best in their line for lower volume listening. They have also just released the Essence upgrade kit, which replaces the full range driver with their current one, and changes the high pass filter capacitor to mesh the two drivers more smoothly.

I elected the upgrade route, and expect the kit in 5-6 weeks. They break in the driver before shipping.

Jealous of your new set, but that much speaker, and money would be wasted in my room. Now I did order a top of the line electrostatic headphone rig...

I still use my kit made eL34 PP amp, and have completed an EL84 SE amp to try when the last tube gets in, to try out 5 watts of SE power.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

AudioDoctor - they must have been waiting for you to order the new Druids with the Radian tweeters. I moved into a smaller house (last kid is finishing his Junior year at Emory with an Amazon internship this summer) and was emailing them about speakers. Woul be a pretty big trip to see them from here.

My new room is 9.5x14 feet, and I was wondering about smaller speakers, like the soul superfly with the radian tweeters. They pretty much said the ribbon tweeter is the best in their line for lower volume listening. They have also just released the Essence upgrade kit, which replaces the full range driver with their current one, and changes the high pass filter capacitor to mesh the two drivers more smoothly.

I elected the upgrade route, and expect the kit in 5-6 weeks. They break in the driver before shipping.

Jealous of your new set, but that much speaker, and money would be wasted in my room. Now I did order a top of the line electrostatic headphone rig...

I still use my kit made eL34 PP amp, and have completed an EL84 SE amp to try when the last tube gets in, to try out 5 watts of SE power.

I did not hear about the Essence upgrade kit... They waited until I ordered something more expensive to release that no doubt... ;-)

I am in the midst of a move and have (or will have when it is done) a dedicated audio room. I do not need to mind pissing off the neighbors anymore, there are 2 acres between them and me now.

No electron left behind.

AudioDoctor, Who in the TC had the Zu speakers to audition?

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

• 3 weeks later...
Zu always sounds harsh to me. Auditioned in home setting and at RAMF. MK4s? not sure if they have broken the code yet.

That said:

"Speaker evaluations are mostly BS since your room and your music trumps all!!" ~ Nombe Watanabe

What amps? Sources?

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

Maybe this is akin to the "If the 1st watt sucks, why continue?" argument?

I'm awaiting some Union Cubes (w/ Clarity Cap and Birch) to test against my existing full range single drivers.

I'll keep scrolling, but wondering if your speakers arrived.

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote