IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Lumin & MQA

I believe Lumin is waiting to see if it actually survives before it jumps on the bandwagon. I understand it is frustrating but I also can understand not wanting to waste time and money if it's not going to be a "standard "

btw this is coming from a person that just ordered a D1 with an sbooster power supply a couple of days ago.

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

ESL, are you saying the MicroRendu sounds better then the Lumin?

Den: Kef LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Lumin D1, Cayin SCD50T, Jolida D9, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 7 IC

Livingroom: T+A PA1530 r Integrated Amplifier, Innous Zen MKIII, L.K.S audio MH Da004, Tyler Acoustics Highland H2, High Fidelity Reveal IC, Wireworld Eclipse Silver 8 Speaker cable. 

• 1 month later...
For those using Lumin app, there should now be a Masters category under Tidal. If you don't see it, please kill the app and retry tomorrow.

That is awesome! I can't wait to try it when I get home tonight.

[ATTACH]33272[/ATTACH]

Working!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Wlkie, is this just software decoding or are we getting both hardware and software decoding?

George, if you purchased an D1, how do you plan on getting the files to it? NAS or a hard drive direct to it? Also please remember the Lumin is not wireless like the Aries is so you need a wired connection. If it is a NAS, Lumin does recommend MiniMserver to be run on the nas or the computer holding the files. I am not a Lumin rep or anything like that. Im just giving you what I went through when I bought it.

I tried using my western digital without MiniMserver and the Lumin could read the files however, the order was way off and it could not read the full file name without MiniMserver running. For right now I am running MiniMserver on my laptop pointing to the NAS until I can change my NAS to a qnap.

I have heard the Aries on a w4s dac and LH labs Vi dac. It is a good sounding unit. The Lumin in my opinion is quite a bit warmer / smoother in sound but still very detailed especially when the power supply is upgraded. It also depends on your taste in sound.

Hello and thanks for the response - appreciated.

So I have a Synology DS212J containing ripped CDs in .wav format. I have just installed Java and MinimServer on it. However, mostly I will stream Tidal HIFI because sexeh :)

My listening room is on the 1st floor of my home, so will connect the D1 to my router via powerline adapters.

I have bought the D1 BTW - ordered it today for delivery tomorrow. If it can't better my Metrum Musette & Auralic Aries then it can go back. I have a 12V LPSU for it, so will do some comparisons.

Congrats! On mine, I think after 7 days it just started to open up but when I hit that 2 week mark is when I think it completely opened up. I am using a wireworld eclipse silver IC on it. I tried the regular eclipse and a acoustic zen matrix II but, it seemed to like the WW silver 7 better.

Im suprised. I thought the lumin was quite a bit warmer over the Aries with more bass. So much that I changed cables to a brighter cable. For me it took about 2 weeks and the soundstage really opened up. I am running all uncompressed wav.

What do you have your settings in the lumin app at? Have you upsampled yet?

• 1 month later...

I just went to the site and read it. It sounds like mqa is  right now, not future.  

On a side note, anyone who does the update, it enables the roon. If your not using roon, turn it off. I noticed a sound difference with it on and off.   

• 2 months later...

I tried it and using a Cullen cable. Good quality and doesn't break the bank

• 2 months later...

Cool test. I did not know about this.    Shocking how different the tidal speed test is vs internet speed.   Tidal test I got 

Latency: 23ms
Speed: 32.4Mbps

With Comcast speed test I got 89.3. With the lumin running at the same time Rush moving pictures MQA.   

Strange question, your going from your cable modem, are you running a router or are you using the cable company router? Do you own your own cable modem or using the cable company's?  

If using your own router, are you plugging the lumin right into it or do you have a range extender and plugging the lumin into an extender? If you are, that speed is usually under 1/2.   Also what brand and model router are you using? For myself I was using a Belkin and lots of streaming issues until I changed to an Asus. Now wireless we can stream to 2 tv's and all 4 cellphones at the same time without a hiccup. 

Now i havent experienced any dropouts until today actually.  This morning on a tidal MQA track it had a couple of pauses.  Before then, I have never had a dropout.  So it could be tidal issue. 

One more thing, I just ran that speed test again for Tidal. It doubled 

Latency: 25ms
Speed: 61.5Mbps

Forgive me one more time. I ran that test from my ipad wireless. went to my laptop on the wired connection and I got 

Latency: 17ms

Speed: 85.3Mbps

I am running Comcast, in a suburb of Chicago.   Asus AC1900 router, my own cable modem.  

• 7 months later...

Congrats!!!   Did you get a different power supply? If not an sbooster power supply makes a big difference.  

I don't know about the isolation portion.  

• 10 months later...

Did Lumin take the MQA symbol away on the Tidal portion of the app? It used to show MQA but lately it is not. Did something change or is it something going weird on my iPad? 

Here is a screen shot. On the one, you can see 2 of the same album. So the only way to know if it’s MQA is to play each one to find out.  

D4E3E04B-3DAE-4A70-8DC3-579B68310DD8.png

A9A6A874-D49D-4614-B3F1-27A005185EEE.png

@wklie  where is this within the app.  I only see  this in the screen shot. I am using the internal dac in the Lumin.  

71FBA2CA-CABD-4CB5-8E59-00E030BA0236.png

It only gives me options to log out @wklie

766D8E19-3F14-4851-BD66-63165B0A4B57.png

Found it!  It’s not very descriptive. It’s called stream icon location in appearance. I was looking at actual tidal and MQA settings.   By the name of it, I thought it had to do with Lumin Streaming not Tidal.    

F1381C1E-08C3-4A11-B417-64FD54458AC9.thumb.png.c1d67d17e45a623da563077e6fc2f83b.png

• 4 weeks later...

Great review!. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have read good  stuff on it but personally  i have never tried it because  its not on the Lumin app or  mconnect for my ps audio direct stream jr.  

I will say there is a difference  between  streaming services in sound.  I have tidal and qobuz both.  Since the lumin  does full mqa,  vs high rez from qobuz, to my ear qobuz beats it every time on both my rigs.  I would  be interested  in hearing  the difference  between  Amazon and qobuz.   

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, wklie said:

Those of you using non-Lumin hardware and experiencing Lumin app issue can try Esoteric Sound Stream app.

Are you sure about this app? It only gets 1.6 out of 5 stars.  

I am actually looking for a replacement for mconnect.    

7 hours ago, Philippe Bill said:

are you planning a solution?
or
will the Lumin app never be anymore compatible with "non-Lumin" hardware ?

If the lumin app would work or see non lumin hardware, this would solve my issues I am having on my 2nd system that I am using Mcontroll on.  Mcontrol when playing tidal masters, only plays 30 seconds of a song but ,the lumin app playing on the same network going to my D1 using the same ipad plays fine with 0 issues. If the lumin app could control other non lumin devices like my PS audio Direct stream JR, that would solve my issues and 1 app instead of 2 to control everything in my house. 

• 3 months later...

You also need to consider if mqa is important to you.   If you are using Tidal and not Qobuz, you will want a mqa dac.