IGNORED

Workout Headphones

I was hoping someone here might be able to help me out. My wife likes to workout and especially likes to run. I would like to get her a new pair of headphones for our anniversary.

Since she works out the headphones need to stay on during jostling and should be sweat proof. She also travels for work, so if there are some that have fairly good noise blocking, that would be a plus as well.

Cost is negotiable. If I can be convinced of quality / performance I am willing to pay for it.

Thanks in advance---

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

You're talking about two diametrically different functions. Anything that is a good noise blocker for travel will be way too cumbersome for workouts if over the ear, and drive her nuts if it's in-ear. So I'm going to suggest two very different headphones.

For working out, I've got a Sennheiser lightweight model with a hard thin plastic band you can wear over your head or behind your neck (I do the latter). The earpieces are held securely but not uncomfortably in my ears (I could never keep the earpieces in place as I ran or exercised with other types of headphones). I bought them on Amazon about 3 years ago for somewhere between 30 and 60 dollars.

For travel, I've found nothing that rivals the compactness, noise isolation, and great sound of the Etymotic ER-4P. I got them on a screaming deal a few years ago from Amazon. See if anyone's got them on sale for the holiday. If not on sale, I think they may be in the $200-250 range.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks for the suggestions. I knew the workout / sound isolating was going to be a stretch.

The Rocketfish concern me a bit since they have some pretty big foam covers that seem like they would soak up a lot of sweat. I am checking out the Sennheiser since the they have two recommendations.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

For travel, I've found nothing that rivals the compactness, noise isolation, and great sound of the Etymotic ER-4P. I got them on a screaming deal a few years ago from Amazon. See if anyone's got them on sale for the holiday. If not on sale, I think they may be in the $200-250 range.

ER-4P's are great sounding...I just don't recommend them as an exercise earbud. The cord has a pronounced "microphone effect" -- little boom noises each time the cord touches another object. Even strategic use of the accessory clip doesn't work in all cases..

Agree, ER-4P are great, but not for exercise. I have gone through many, many running headphones, including what seems like a dozen Sennhesier PX-100, and have ended up using Sony MDR-V150. They strike me as "good enough for running" and cheap enough that I won't mind too much when they break, which exercise headphones eventually (sometimes quite suddenly) will.

In my mind, that should be your goal: good enough to get through the workout but not so good that you'll be annoyed when you break them.

ER-4P's are great sounding...I just don't recommend them as an exercise earbud. The cord has a pronounced "microphone effect" -- little boom noises each time the cord touches another object. Even strategic use of the accessory clip doesn't work in all cases..

...which is exactly why I recommended other 'phones for exercise. :-)

BTW, the microphonics are I think simply confirmation of how extremely well the isolation works. The cord is essentially the "string" attached to a "tin can" (the earpiece), and the earpiece blocks all other sound so well that when the cord is caused to vibrate you really hear it. Outside of running and exercise - for regular seated listening, or for me, wearing them while on my riding mower - the microphonics are not a concern, particularly when the accessory clip is attached to my collar or a shirt pocket.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I have used the Ety ER6i for most all sports I have tried. They are covered with silicone, are very lightweight. The flanges seal well, and they do well with running/walking/biking. The cord is light, and has a clip.

They also have replaceable filters, which really really lengthens the life span.

Are they the equal of my UE-10pro, or FitEar 334, nope, but really great for exercise. I would not be able to run in either the heavier 334, and I tried the customs one day, and they 'THUMP, THUMP, THUMPED" with each step. Not so bad walking.

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I bought her the Sennheiser. She already took them for a round on her Spin bike and likes them so far.