IGNORED

HD Tracks albums you really care about

[TABLE=width: 0, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=width: 365]Out of hundreds, i keep coming back to my favorite... a file you can play at moderately high volume, and still hear your honey whispering.. Listening to Jimmy Cobb is like Mt Ranier coming into view on a foggy day...

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: td_middle, width: 365, bgcolor: #FFFFFF]

Artists | Jimmy Cobb | Jazz in the Key of...

Audiophile 192kHz/24bit

HD0090368034465_185.jpgTitle: Jazz in the Key of Blue 192/24

Artist: Jimmy Cobb

Genre: Jazz

Label: Chesky Records

Release Date: 2009

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

1.AsusROG750SSD/JRiver22>LightHarmonics-LightspeedUSB> PSAudioDSD+Huron/AnalysisPlus PowerOval10+ AnalysisPlus Solo Crystal In's >PASS Labs HPA-1 headphone amp-AnalysisPlus UltimatePowerCord/BlackDragonV2-AudezeLCD-X

Lush Life (John Coltrane). When I first purchased this 24-bit, 96kHz release, I was a bit disappointed to find it was up-sampled from redbook. Nevertheless, I closed my eyes and opened my heart, and learned to listen with my ears rather than via Audacity FFT graphs, and the music really touched my heart and soul. Once I stopped questioning why the objective data did not corroborate the inner warm fuzzy feeling I got, I learned the true meaning of high res is not the frequency output that I cannot hear anyway, but the cosmic oneness I share with those who upsample^H^H^H^H^H^H^H produce this music.

Rumours in 16/96. As far as I can tell, its a one of a kind release. They did replace it with 24/96, but I prefer the sparser 16 bit version.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Not purchased at HDtracks, as they don't let me, but you can find it there:

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX7041888516323

Ola Gjeilo - Piano Improvisations

I've said it before, it is like Keith Jarretts solo concerts in his better moments. And amazing recording quality.

Piano Improvisations [24_192].jpg

I recently came across three recordings from the new Binaural+ series on HD Tracks and I highly recommend the three titles by Amber Rubarth, Lenny White and this one by Wycliffe Gordon some of the most dynamic, "live" music I have heard.

https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HX090368035462

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

bluetrain.jpg

Coltrane's Blue Train is just magnificent, way way better than a regular CD recording. I have one at 24/96, but 192 is also available.

Main system: Music Server (Win 7/64+Foobar+JPlay) -> Furutech GT2 USB Cable -> Audiolab M-DAC -> Plinius 9200 (Chord Anthem interconnects) -> ATC SCM 40 w/Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cables

So far my faves would have to include:

Sleeper with Keith Jarrett/Jan Garbarek/Jon Christensen/Palle Danielsson. This is a live recording from 1979 and has 1 3/4 hours of music. All these guys were at the top of their games. Excellent transfer at 24/96 right from the analog tape with no noise reduction or any silliness. Has that ECM sound and takes me right back to my university days. This title is too expensive ($36), but it is worth it especially if you have a discount code.

Junta by Phish. An amazing transfer of a great album. I understand they did separate transfers for 24/96 and 24/192 so there was no conversion. CDs don't sound anything like this, I'm afraid.

Chet Baker - Baker's Holiday. Let's just pull out this master tape from 1965, put it on a Studer deck and hit play. It's like having your own private copy. Amazing.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm finding HD Tracks VERY hit and miss re DR/compression issues. I almost pulled the plug yesterday after buying Graceland by Paul Simon. WTF are the dynamics??? THEN I saw the thread with DR measurements and I was feeling ripped off.

HOWEVER, I'm just downloading some of the recommendations above: Ola Gjeio, Jimmy Cobb, and Keith Jarrett et al "Sleeper".

Please post MORE recommendations, as I'm fed up feeding money to cynical record companies trying to find novel ways to fleece people like me that are the sharpest tools in the shed!

Finally, I'll add the Stevie Ray Vaughan/Albert King "In Session" 24/192 transfer to the list. One of my WINS with HD Tracks! Excellent dynamic recording and playing.

Synology NAS, Mac Mini 2011 (with SSD and 16GB RAM), Lampizator L4 Gen4 PCM DAC, Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2 line pre-amp, SGR CX4F active speakers, Apple iPad (as remote).

Software: OS X Mavericks, Amarra Symphony 3.0 with iRC/Audirvana Plus 1.5.12/, Remoter VNC (on iPad). CAD OS X script v2.2 (to remove redundant processes).

OS X Mavericks running from SD card; 8 GB RAM disk for music files.

All connected via a snakes nest of various exotic cables! ;o)

1. The Paul McCartney reissues in the "unlimited" format (no added volume compression);not exclusive to HDT.

2. I've bought about 6 of the Blue Note reissues - all of them are really good, some are fantastic (see Blue Note HDT thread on this site)

3. Rolling Stones reissues (anything based on the DSD/SACD Bob Ludwig remasters);although the Redbook based on the same DSD remaster is almost as good. The actual DSD rip is even better.

4. Diana Krall - The Girl in the Other Room. Fantastic sound

5. Green Day - American Idiot. Much better than the CD and has less volume compression than CD

6. Gary Clark - Blak and Blu

7. Esperanza Spalding - Radio Music Society

8. Bill Evans Trio - Waltz for Debby ("you are there" sound).

9. Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On

10. Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story

11. David Chesky - Urbanicity (24/48)

12. I definitely didn't like the new CSN debut album: the added volume compression made it difficult to listen to for me. I'm assuming the other CSN(Y) reissues in this series will have the same problem

13. The Beethoven Symphonies - Barenboim with the East-West Divan Orchestra - is a great bargain and good sound. The performances are only good, not great. But for the money (and if you don't have the Beethoven symphonies) really worth getting.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks Hanuman22, what a great layback chillout album, and terrific sound. Can you recommend any other smooth layback jazz albums like this?

[TABLE=width: 0, align: center]

[TR]

[TD=width: 365]Out of hundreds, i keep coming back to my favorite... a file you can play at moderately high volume, and still hear your honey whispering.. Listening to Jimmy Cobb is like Mt Ranier coming into view on a foggy day...

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: td_middle, width: 365, bgcolor: #FFFFFF]

Artists | Jimmy Cobb | Jazz in the Key of...

Audiophile 192kHz/24bit

HD0090368034465_185.jpgTitle: Jazz in the Key of Blue 192/24

Artist: Jimmy Cobb

Genre: Jazz

Label: Chesky Records

Release Date: 2009

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Lush Life (John Coltrane). When I first purchased this 24-bit, 96kHz release, I was a bit disappointed to find it was up-sampled from redbook. Nevertheless, I closed my eyes and opened my heart, and learned to listen with my ears rather than via Audacity FFT graphs, and the music really touched my heart and soul. Once I stopped questioning why the objective data did not corroborate the inner warm fuzzy feeling I got, I learned the true meaning of high res is not the frequency output that I cannot hear anyway, but the cosmic oneness I share with those who upsample^H^H^H^H^H^H^H produce this music.

Hi Bill, I couldn't find an album by John Coltrane called "Lush Life" on HDTracks, any further pointers?

It was the one that started this whole thing off for me.

A friend of mine (who is about 70 and has had a lifetime collection of jazz on vinyl) wanted to hear what high res on computer audio sounded like, so he suggested that title, which I bought and downloaded, converted, and played for him. He was polite about it, but I could tell his response was "meh". He suggested I do a FFT on it (he's a scientist, in the Nat'l Academy actually) and so I googled and found Audacity, downloaded it, and we realized we had been had. I complained. It was disappeared. They gave me a merchandise credit and assured me it was a fluke.

So that's how it all started.

It actually is a really good album, and despite being redbook, it sounds fine to me. I don't know much about Jazz, but I think it is much better than say Love Supreme.

HDtracks seems to haveremoved it by now given that it turned out to be upsampled.

Anyone know if they are going to get the correct version?

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

• 3 months later...

So the only hi res file I purchased -- lush life -- wasn't legitimate hi res . Lol.

mac mini 2011, Transparent audio usb cable, bryston bda-2, hegel h300 integrated amp, audio physic virgo 25 speakers, transparent audio speaker cables interconnects and digital cables.