IGNORED

'Audiophile' Ethernet Cables.

Again, now way over my pay grade but assuming it means absolutely phase aligned (absolutely matched sinewave start point for each driver).

I'm going back 20 years now but they always used to say that passive crossovers after amplification made it very hard to guarantee absolute phase alignment.

"ATC researched and developed the first active system elements, introducing the EC23 Active Crossover with built in phase correction"

This is what I'm thinking, click here

sure, but the absolute phase thing is odd in that context - isn't it?

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Again, now way over my pay grade but assuming it means absolutely phase aligned (absolutely matched sinewave start point for each driver).

I'm going back 20 years now but they always used to say that passive crossovers after amplification made it very hard to guarantee absolute phase alignment.

"ATC researched and developed the first active system elements, introducing the EC23 Active Crossover with built in phase correction"

This is what I'm thinking, click here

Just to kind of cut to the chase:

- "Absolute phase" means that each region of high pressure and low pressure that came from the vocalist and acoustic instruments through the air to the mic and was translated to high and low amplitudes of the electrical waves; and the high and low amplitudes of the signals coming from electronic instruments; all come through your speakers as regions of high and low pressure in exact correspondence to the way they went in at the recording location.

The recording may invert phase (equipment and software have switches for this). Also, improperly built or set up electronics or software may invert phase. So there is no way at all for speakers to guarantee correct absolute phase.

- "Phase aligned" may mean the drivers are in phase with each other, or that the speakers' crossovers have linear phase behavior. Both are possible with passive as well as active speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've personally never heard any passive speakers sound as good as the best actives... the methodology behind active design just makes sense (to me at least).

I don't doubt there are lovely passive speakers for one moment however and there are certainly plenty of wonderful amps.

I've actually got an ATC EC23 outboard active crossover lying around (a future project was to pull out the active amp packs in my SCM50s and use power amps of my choice, Jeff Rowland, etc)... but given how the system sounds right now that's probably not happening anytime soon (and probably the ATC P4 active amp packs are as good as I would ever need, if I was to change).

Suppose we ought to get back on topic (probably my fault for veering off) and let the boutique LAN cable debate continue.

;-)

- "Phase aligned" may mean the drivers are in phase with each other, or that the speakers' crossovers have linear phase behavior. Both are possible with passive as well as active speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Suppose we ought to get back on topic (probably my fault for veering off) and let the boutique LAN cable debate continue.

;-)

Sure. When you check your buffer à la Plissken, do you pull out your Ethernet cable with one hand or two, and if one, right-handed or left?

I say left sounds best (in the Northern Hemisphere).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

LOL.

...and they say you guys 'over the pond' aren't too hot on sarcasm.

;-)

I didn't really mess about too much with Ethernet TBH, I read about FMCs on here and it just made sense to do that with an LPS and have a very short bit of DIY CATx.

That little piece of optimisation is done as far as I'm concerned.

Sure. When you check your buffer à la Plissken, do you pull out your Ethernet cable with one hand or two, and if one, right-handed or left?

I say left sounds best (in the Northern Hemisphere).

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

I've personally never heard any passive speakers sound as good as the best actives... the methodology behind active design just makes sense (to me at least).

I don't doubt there are lovely passive speakers for one moment however and there are certainly plenty of wonderful amps.

I've actually got an ATC EC23 outboard active crossover lying around (a future project was to pull out the active amp packs in my SCM50s and use power amps of my choice, Jeff Rowland, etc)... but given how the system sounds right now that's probably not happening anytime soon (and probably the ATC P4 active amp packs are as good as I would ever need, if I was to change).

;-)

No problem here. I can keep track of two topics... :-)

Actives have all the advantages. Passives are a trade off in ease of use. I love Lake Processing.