IGNORED

Steve Jobs- 1955-2011 (One Year Today: 05 October 2012)

While I think Jobs was a great mind, amazing insight, created demand for his products regardless of what the consumer "really" felt about the product, I also predicted at the time of his untimely demise that I believed Apple would no longer be the Apple of Jobs. While many companies do move on after the main guy leaves or passes, Apple, IMO will founder with time. The cracks are already starting. In the one year since Jobs has died, we have witnessed no real new groundbreaking technology and to the contrary, some relatively boring upgrades of ground breaking Jobs visions and even those boring upgrades are now being trumped by their competitors.

Yeah Apple stills has the competitive edge, BUT, time is running out as we see the success of the Galaxy III and some really cool "ultrabooks" and tablets coming out from competitors.

I do like Cook's Mea Culpa regarding maps app in iOS 6. Mea culpas work WHEN and ONLY WHEN you fix the problem, not tell people to use someone else's solution.

Apple is becoming nothing more than a boring refresh of Jobs' visions and that can only last so long. They have seen better days. Good thing they have those cash stockpiles.

Re what Apple will be: Still too early to tell. But let's face it, Jobs will be an incredibly hard act to follow.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

MMM- lets take a few of those ideas and look at them a bit more closely...

While I think Jobs was a great mind, amazing insight, created demand for his products regardless of what the consumer "really" felt about the product, I also predicted at the time of his untimely demise that I believed Apple would no longer be the Apple of Jobs.

Since Steve Jobs expressly made the demand that Tim Cook not try to be "another Jobs" I would guess that your statement is true. On the other hand, the core vision of Apple was shared by many people there. It is far from dead.

While many companies do move on after the main guy leaves or passes, Apple, IMO will founder with time. The cracks are already starting. In the one year since Jobs has died, we have witnessed no real new groundbreaking technology and to the contrary, some relatively boring upgrades of ground breaking Jobs visions and even those boring upgrades are now being trumped by their competitors. [/Quote]

You surely don't think that Jobs did not know about an approve every single thing that has came out in the past year?

Just what might those "boring upgrades" be? The five million iPhone 5's that sold over a weekend?

By the number of iPhone 5's that just sold, I sincerely doubt any competitor is trumping Apple at this time. I don't see any other tablets gaining ground on the iPad either. And Macs are the top selling computers in the world. Somehow, I have trouble with your opinion there mate...

Yeah Apple stills has the competitive edge, BUT, time is running out as we see the success of the Galaxy III and some really cool "ultrabooks" and tablets coming out from competitors. [/Quote]

Ultrabooks are MacBook Air imitators, and I sure haven't seen any Ultrabook selling in numbers to challenge the Macbook Air. They sure are not selling out at our local BestBuy. In fact, they complain they cannot get rid of the things. Macbook Airs and Macbook Pros sell like hotcakes though.

The Galaxy III is a cool phone - but I do not think they have sold 5 million of them since it was made available.

Innovation? The most real innovation I have seen from Ultrabooks and Android tablets is how astonishingly quickly they can copy what Apple does.

I do like Cook's Mea Culpa regarding maps app in iOS 6. Mea culpas work WHEN and ONLY WHEN you fix the problem, not tell people to use someone else's solution.[/Quote]

MMm- I remember the MobileMe fiasco. That got fixed and Apple did right by subscribers. I don't see why Maps is particularly any different.

Apple is becoming nothing more than a boring refresh of Jobs' visions and that can only last so long. They have seen better days. Good thing they have those cash stockpiles.[/Quote]

Same old story, same old Apple Bashing. It's really sad that the same people who bashed Apple when Jobs was alive are using his death to go on a whole new round of Apple bashing. Just recently a bunch of half wit columnists where pushing "Jobs would have fired Cook!" over the Maps issue. In fact, it really doesn't matter, since Jobs is not here, and when he was here, he really insisted that Tim Cook run things his own way. Jobs trusted Cook to keep his vision alive, but do it in his own way.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Paul,

You got me confused with someone else. I don't bash Apple and in fact own tons of their equipment, including the new iPhone 5, iPads and MacAir.

By no means am I implying that Apple is dead, but that unless they innovate more, the waves of enthusiasm will start to diminish.

Despite my love for their products, the hard cold facts are that since Jobs demise, there has been little released or rumored to be released that is of earth shattering innovation.

The iPhone 5 which I have, is just another incremental upgrade, which is no biggie and still falls short of the Galaxy III. I am a hardcore Apple guy and this is the first time since the first iPhone I was thinking of alternatives and to be honest, unless the next iPhone has some uniqueness about it, this will probably be my last one.

As to the MacAir, my favorite of all notebooks, sorry but the competition has surpassed it. I fully expect Apple to make another "incremental" upgrade with a "retina" display, but the core will stay the same. The Macbook, likewise was an incremental upgrade and the inclusion of Thunderbolt, of dubious utility while the "retina display" has an underpowered graphics chip and requires interpolation for most applications.

Their MacPro, when was the last time that was upgraded? It is an anchor that even hardcore Apple Video suppliers like Promax are building alternatives for.

Trust me, I would love to see Apple stay at the top of hill, come out with some unique products such as a modular designed desktop, with a "brick" analogous to an iPhone that could combine all their products utilities wherever the end user goes, but all I am seeing from them are incremental upgrades, not unique new products.

Their cloud which I use, is OK, but nothing great. Over rated

Time will tell, but this is the first time in years that this hardcore Apple guy is looking at the alternatives. I have already gone to a different desktop, have a new iPhone 5 but as I said, this will be my last unless more is offered on the next go round, I have 2011 MacAir see no reason to upgrade as there is really no upgrade other than the alternatives to Apple, have no desire for a MacBook and have an iPad 3, which I still think is the best tablet but others are starting to catch up and quick. In fact, it is now Apple who looks like they are playing catch up with their new soon to be released of their "earth shattering" smaller iPad with a Lightening Connetor.

If you think the competition isn't moving I would recommend you look at the statistics. While Apple still has a commanding lead, others are indeed increasing market share.

I am not bashing Jobs dead or alive and think he is was one of the greatest minds of modern man. In fact, when Michael Dell was bashing Jobs and Apple, I wrote an essay for a computer magazine about how Dell was nothing but a good assembly line guy while Jobs was THE innovator that will be remembered forever as compared to Dell. In fact, I am giving Jobs more credit than I believe you are. My opinion is that Jobs was the creativity, was the visionary and as Jobs went so did the company.

Eh - perhaps I read what you wrote wrong, in which case apologies. I have been getting a lot of Apple hate mail lately, and I am sure I simply read more into what you wrote than otherwise was there.

I do disagree with you about innovation though. For instance, retina displays are astonishing, and have the potential to change a lot of things. They do change how one operates in several ways, significant ways, if subtle. IMO, etc.

I think part of what you are seeing is that current gear is "good enough" for just about anything, and no longer requires replacement every 18 months or so. I still expect astonishing and amazing things in the not too distant future. ;)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Eh - perhaps I read what you wrote wrong, in which case apologies. I have been getting a lot of Apple hate mail lately, and I am sure I simply read more into what you wrote than otherwise was there.

I do disagree with you about innovation though. For instance, retina displays are astonishing, and have the potential to change a lot of things. They do change how one operates in several ways, significant ways, if subtle. IMO, etc.

I think part of what you are seeing is that current gear is "good enough" for just about anything, and no longer requires replacement every 18 months or so. I still expect astonishing and amazing things in the not too distant future. ;)

-Paul

Paul,

I would never hate Apple. I have always been an Apple junkie. When Scully took over, he basically destroyed Apple for the Medical community and just about killed it for the Video community.

I understand the benefit of the retina display on their notebooks, but, to take full advantage, we need less interpolation of data and more native applications. We also need a better graphics chip integrated into the notebook. While the form factor changed a little, it is starting to age a little.

When I talk about a modular design, this was something that Jobs was talking about long ago and there are actually some innovative companies starting to come out with what was Jobs vision. I know Apple could do it better.

I don't disagree with you about the replacement cycle times, just what the expectations of those replacements are. I think the iPhone 4S v. iPhone 4 and the iPhone 5 v. the iPhone 4s are perfect examples as is the MacAir. Really not huge upgrades but the fervor drove sales.

Iphone 5s coming? In December;another 5 mln units will be sold.

4s has retina display(whatever this means).

Computer audiophiles should continue to use Snow Leopard rather than new Lion or Mountain Lion(bad sound IMHO-lost money on "an upgrade").

Iphone 5s coming? In December;another 5 mln units will be sold.

4s has retina display(whatever this means).

Computer audiophiles should continue to use Snow Leopard rather than new Lion or Mountain Lion(bad sound IMHO-lost money on "an upgrade").

pawel

I will tell you that on a subjective basis, whether it be my DAC or otherwise, I just the sound of CAPS 2 better than any Mac player. I went kicking and screaming, but I just found JRiver and CAPS to sound better on my system.

I am not sure the same number of people will upgrade to a 5s or 6 unless there are compelling reasons. Time will tell. I am rooting for Apple but am skeptical of Apple to follow in the Jobs tradition.

pawel

I will tell you that on a subjective basis, whether it be my DAC or otherwise, I just the sound of CAPS 2 better than any Mac player. I went kicking and screaming, but I just found JRiver and CAPS to sound better on my system.

I am not sure the same number of people will upgrade to a 5s or 6 unless there are compelling reasons. Time will tell. I am rooting for Apple but am skeptical of Apple to follow in the Jobs tradition.

Thanks

I have never tried anything but Mac for computer music but I believe that the caps 2 plus window program might be better.

Out of several choices in Mac system the only good one seems to be Snow Leopard with Pure Music in integer mode.

Wozniak and Jobs were great and hard to follow.

Steve Jobs died too early.

On semi funny side:I got partial retinal detachment in my left eye at the same time when Apple has introduced retina display!

Guys - don't talk yourselves into or out of Macs.

I run Mountain Lion / iTunes / Amarra on a Mac, and I think it sounds as good as a C.A.P.S. - better in some cases. It also meets my needs for streaming.

it also sounds a whale of a lot better to me than Snow Leopard. On the same hardware.

That isn't to say that C.A.P.S. doesn't sound great, it does - but so do Macs. (shrug)

-Paul

Thanks

I have never tried anything but Mac for computer music but I believe that the caps 2 plus window program might be better.

Out of several choices in Mac system the only good one seems to be Snow Leopard with Pure Music in integer mode.

Wozniak and Jobs were great and hard to follow.

Steve Jobs died too early.

On semi funny side:I got partial retinal detachment in my left eye at the same time when Apple has introduced retina display!

Robert A. Heinlein

It just seems like a few days ago. Man this getting old sucks it appears time just speeds up, faster and faster as you get older. Steve Jobs hope all is well up there.

I couldn't agree more.

Hopefully we will all get to meet Steve when our time comes. The guy was amazing.