IGNORED

Need a small very high fidelity portable headphone

My wife just did a run-through of my headphones in a comparison to her beloved B&W P5. She didn't like anything I had until she listened to the Shure 1840, which she loved. But she wants a very compact portable, preferably closed and small like the P5, but with much better sound. Is such a thing available at any price? She did not like the v-moda M80 for example. Price is no object, but has to be small, not stick out like a Martian helmet, and sound really top notch - very hi-fi, but not bright.

Keeping an eye on this thread - I am currently eyeing the Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350:

Amazon.com: Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350: Electronics

Getting a lot of good "buzz" and sounds like the kind of thing I'm / we're looking for.

Have you heard it? Or anyone else on this thread have any experience with the DT 1350?

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Have you heard the new Focal headphone?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Keeping an eye on this thread - I am currently eyeing the Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350: Getting a lot of good "buzz" and sounds like the kind of thing I'm / we're looking for. Have you heard it? Or anyone else on this thread have any experience with the DT 1350?

I had 2 - the first clamped tight and gave me a headache but had fairly good sound. The second did not clamp as much and sounded hollow. If they could improve the clamp and the earpads they could have a real winner. The DTX501p is an example, but not a real Beyer I've heard.

How about a pair of:

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER-4? MicroPro Series

They are small, sounds great and you can have custom molded earplugs for maximum comfort and noise suppression.

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

How about a pair of:

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER-4? MicroPro Series They are small, sounds great and you can have custom molded earplugs for maximum comfort and noise suppression.

Thanks for the suggestion, but in ears are a no-go. Price is no object - even $1000 USD would be OK as long as they aren't bulkier than the P5 and sound better.

BTW, this is making the P5 look like a good deal for $300, something I wouldn't have guessed.

I owned both P5 and DT1350 and I slightly prefered the P5 because of the better construction & design. DT1350s have a piercing peek in the upper frequency range, otherwise the sound is ok. P5 is more on the laidback side but can sound a little dull sometimes. If you want to achieve much more sonically for portable use there's no getting round high end IEMs.

Auralic Aries -> iFi iUSBPower -> Accuphase DP-720 -> Accuphase E-600 -> B&W 802 Diamond

High fidelity and upscale headphone

They seem a similar size to the P5 though I've not had them side by side.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I owned both P5 and DT1350 and I slightly prefered the P5 because of the better construction & design. DT1350s have a piercing peek in the upper frequency range, otherwise the sound is ok. P5 is more on the laidback side but can sound a little dull sometimes. If you want to achieve much more sonically for portable use there's no getting round high end IEMs.

I have or have had many excellent portables, far better than the P5 or DT1350, for example the Sennheiser Amperior. It's just slightly too bulky for my wife is the only problem there. So we're holding out for something smaller.

I have or have had many excellent portables, far better than the P5 or DT1350, for example the Sennheiser Amperior. It's just slightly too bulky for my wife is the only problem there. So we're holding out for something smaller.

Don't know all that much about headphones (would suggest Head-fi.org for a wealth of information - may even seem like too much), but wonder if Grado might be something to look at. (Have the ER-4P myself, and like DigiPete I'm extremely happy with it. But it is very definitely in-ear, and if that's a feeling you and your wife don't like, then as you say it's a non-starter.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Don't know all that much about headphones (would suggest Head-fi.org for a wealth of information - may even seem like too much), but wonder if Grado might be something to look at. (Have the ER-4P myself, and like DigiPete I'm extremely happy with it. But it is very definitely in-ear, and if that's a feeling you and your wife don't like, then as you say it's a non-starter.)

Thanks for the reply. I've gotten a lot of good suggestions. True, the in-ears aren't for either of us. I had a Grado PS-500 and really loved it. The sound, the way it's put together, great. But my tech-closet got to overflowing so I donated it to a happy new owner in Singapore. Head-fi is interesting, but as soon as one guy says "This is a great item", the next guy says "This thing is truly awful". And you look and both of them have a zillion posts, so they should know....

• 1 month later...

Heh - maybe too "cheap" but the baby Sennheiser's: PX-100 IIs. have a good reputation for use with i-devices, only 100 SGD, or 140ish SGD with volume control etc. I pair my PX-100 IIs with a FiO E11 at work occasionally (iphone / iPad) and the sound is dam good.

No need to point you to Mike's site: Headfonia as I have seen you post there :-), but they have a good review of a collection of portable cans.

Source: 1.0TB OWC Mercury Elite Pro < FW800> Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

1.0TB WD MY PASSPORT Mac Mini (2009 / 10.8.3)

Players (Hardware): MacBook Pro 13 (2011, 10.8.3 8 gig), ATV2

Amp / DAC: Nuforce DDA-100

Speakers: ELAC 201

Software: iTunes & BitPerfect / Audirvana Free / Audirvana Plus / MPD 0.16.6

Connectivity: subject to random changes

My wife grabbed the PX-100II and I never got around to getting another one. She keeps that one and the P5. I'm currently switching between the B&W P3, the Logitech UE4000, and the v-moda M80 for walkabout use, so that works OK for now. I would sure like to get something with slimline cups like the B&W's, but sound like the Senn Amperior.

Just wondering why no IEMs? I have a pair of Shures I've been using for years but they are starting to fail. I've been looking for something that sounds better and everything that does sound better is too bulky to travel with. I'm actually thinking at this point I will be seeking out some custom IEMs to replace the Shures. They just make travel so easy without a compromise in sound quality; especially if price isn't a factor. Just wondering if I'm missing something about IEMs I should know. Thanks

Not only do some of the IEM's sound good, but even the Apple Earpods (the ones sold separately) sound good. IEM's are not something I want to use because of the ear canal fit, but the Earpods are good for me in some circumstances. Headphones are preferred though, at least until someone has earpods that sound as good as the better headphones.

Just wondering why no IEMs? I have a pair of Shures I've been using for years but they are starting to fail. I've been looking for something that sounds better and everything that does sound better is too bulky to travel with. I'm actually thinking at this point I will be seeking out some custom IEMs to replace the Shures. They just make travel so easy without a compromise in sound quality; especially if price isn't a factor. Just wondering if I'm missing something about IEMs I should know. Thanks

Up-thread you'll notice DigiPete and myself liking the Etymotic E-4P.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Dale- you may want to try the Audio Technica ATHESW9A if you haven't already. I was on a similar mission for good portables and I can't do in-ears. I've tried the BW P5s and liked the ATs better.

Amazon.com: Audio Technica ATHESW9A Portable Wooden Headphones: Electronics

For reference, I started with the Klipsch Image ONE thinking I could get close to the P5s on a budget but they have too much bass. I took a chance on the AT ESW9s because I liked the sound of lower end ATs and fell in love. They lay flat and can be put in a case. IMHO, nice balance of treble, mids, and bass. Very smooth, sweet sound that makes even compressed modern music sound good but is best with jazz, slower rock, acoustic. Kind of a "tube" sound. They are easy to drive. The only con I have is the cord is thin.

If you have an unlimited budget, I'm sure there is something better and more Hi-Fi but they are worth a try. I even listen to them at home when I also have Senn. HD 650, Denon 2000, and Grado Sr80 in the stable.

Good luck in your search.