IGNORED

High Quality Power Cable for cheap...

Tried out a Cullen Cable Crossover Power Cable on my McCOrmack DNA-500 and it meets or exceeds the job done by cables costing way more. So, if you had the bug to try upgrading power cables but not willing to gamble the farm, might be worth a try.

Will share my observations: Have both a Synergistic MC with MPC and a Kimber Palladian PK 10, both pretty to very expensive cables with different strengths that I have used with the McCormack.

After a brief survey of musical styles (Dave Holland/Pepe Habichuela, Metheny/Scofield, Tedeschi/Trucks and Peter Case stuff), the Crossover has equal or more detail than the Kimber but with better focus and I get better balance and response at the frequency extremes than with the S MC. After a bunch of back and forth, had settled the S MC because it was fuller in the mids where the music's heart is (voices, sax, piano, guitar) and more 3D presentation and gave up deeper bass and extended highs of the Kimber, which seemed a bit hollow in the middle.

Crossover seems to retain the rich middle and add the high and low end extension, have better focus and clarity than either of the above resulting in a better 3D/spatial presentation of the instruments in the recording space. This is with only 24 hours on the cable, others have said a 100 hours does some good. Cost was @$175 versus the other two at like $500 and $1250.

No, I don't do double blind, I have good ears. I have no relationship with Cullen other than customer satisfaction.

Best way to connect Cullen Cables is on Audiogon, his new site is a WIP.

Tone with Soul

Good tip, thanks. I am always looking for high quality build, without "dark matter packed in fish oil" prices. I submit that build quality is the most important factor.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

I've communicated with Patrick Cullen quite a bit, and he seems to be very good to do business with. His cables come very highly recommended by Greg Graff, designer of my new favorite all-time interconnects/speaker cables (also a ridiculous bargain...my review is forthcoming), the StereoMojo-reviewed MG Audio Design cables. Greg doesn't do power cords and recommended Patrick's stuff. I am going to be getting the gold-ended Crossovers in asap to try in a few places. Thanks for the heads up, 57gold.

FYI...I bought the complete MG Audio Design cable loom, but am still trying his various recipes (copper, silver, hybrid foils) before I do the complete review.

Ted_b,

MG Cables caught my eye as I use some used Mikro Omega (foil in an active mesh) cable for mid/tweeter in a bi-wire with my 10Ts. Buddy was upgrading to ultimate MO cable and brought them over and it was a WOW moment when we connected them.

Hearing details with Cullen I didn't get before with the Synergistic (probably a couple of generations old) active Master Coupler on the amp.

Curious to hear about the MG stuff.

Still haven't messed with firmware, nor clipping the Mytek...sounds pretty good to me now and no one has said that PCM files, which are all I have, have been effected. Do you know if A+ direct mode will work with Mytek?

Tone with Soul

Do you know if A+ direct mode will work with Mytek?

It definitely works, with the proviso that the A+ betas still have a ways to go in terms of stability, IME. To me, the sonic benefits of direct mode are quite noticeable.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

So if a $1000 power cable outperforms a $3000 cable, that makes it cheap?

Um...relatively yes. If you have a $1k budget, of course. To me it always has to do with perceived value; otherwise cheap is defined by under $10?

Um...relatively yes. If you have a $1k budget, of course. To me it always has to do with perceived value; otherwise cheap is defined by under $10?

Whenever the solution is less than your budget, then it's cheap. ;-)

I don't really have a dollar value in mind for a given component, though certain limits do naturally seem to suggest themselves. Anyway, I tend to call my "metric", if you can call it that, The Julia Rule.

One week update: Cable has "settled" nicely. Highs still nice and extended and sweeter, that is less forward in mix. Middle is fuller with body behind the singer's voice. Bass is clearer, more defined and swings nicely.

Asked Patrick if he made a heavier gauge version for large power amps/conditioners and, as expected, he said he had made a couple including one for himself. He is building one for me to try, though I am pretty happy with the "regular" version...very quick, dynamic and detail enhancing.

Was thinking about upgrading from my 10Ts, thinking that Sashas or new Vandersteens or maybe Rockports would deliver more resolution...but for $175 have what I was looking for with my 15 year old speakers. Not feeling need to change a very good thing. Mr. Kelly got this one right.

Will report on the high current version of Crossover when it arives and settles in.

Tone with Soul

Mr Kelly gets just about everything right. Michael is a genius; his new 7T's are quite amazing, and I keep kidding him about getting me 20T's for the big rig. :)

Patrick is sending me 3 Crossovers (2 high-current for amps, one for Uberbuss) to try, Will report back. Would replace 3 non-ferrite-core Cardas Golden Ref.

• 2 weeks later...

ted-b,

Listening to the high-current version that arrived yesterday. Liking the added control and dynamics the extra wire seems to bring to my amp.

Fred Hersch/Bill Frissell going on now and the Steinway's girth and power feels great, its resonanting sound board seems to growl...like when in the room. The HC version seems to enable amp to deliver more, longer and clearer decay and body from instruments like piano, drums, bass...versus the regular version, which did a fantastic job.

Wonder how you are finding these cool cables?

Tone with Soul

Mine arrived just yesterday, so the two HC's went on my Modwight monos (replacing Cardas Golden Ref) and are breaking in. They are freshly made and sound like it. :) But already the bass seems more musical, and the upper mid/lower treble is more balanced. The third one is breaking in elsewhere while I eval one variable at a time.

Mine has 24 hours hooked to the DNA-500, played music for only 6 hours. Notice additional dynamics, enhanced low end which reaches the low mids...so when the 10Ts reproduce a serious electric bass part (like those on Peter Gabriel, Sting, Robbie Robertson, Mike Stern...recordings), huge physical impact, great pitch definition. It's like I get 15Ts for small $s...have never heard the 20s.

Also like what the HC versions does to voices, more chest and human being behind the voices.

Very cool and very reasonable. Thanks Patrick Cullen.

Tone with Soul

I've been using Patrick's power cable (14 Awg Silver plated Power Cable) with my Burson Audio HD-160D for well over a year and couldn't be happier. Nice craftsmanship and sound that doesn't stand in a way of music reproduction. Highly recommended, especially considering the price of $85 for 6 foot with Schuko plug. I think his cables are one of the best bargains you could find in audio cables nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...

Ted_B,

Have the Cullen HC Crossovers settled in?

I'm liking what they have done for my system, was thinking about upgrading speakers...not now that I have 15Ts for $225 upgrade.

Still haven't swapped fuses...SMC recommends it and he has good ears. Furutech or Synergistic, choices, choices...

Tone with Soul