IGNORED

Neil Diamond -Hot August Night - original vs. 24-44.1 ( Song Sung Blue)

At the attached link are screen grabs of the track "Song Sung Blue" using Sound Forge 9.

neildiamondsongsungblue.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Correct me if I am wrong, but the second song is a live recording of Song Sung Blue? I wouldn't judge the quality of the album on this waveform plot alone, I can't imagine the SQ of a 1972 concert would be top notch.

How does it sound?

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the second song is a live recording of Song Sung Blue? I wouldn't judge the quality of the album on this waveform plot alone, I can't imagine the SQ of a 1972 concert would be top notch.

The point is that the pic shows the comparison of both versions of the same song. The 16-bit one is OK, the 24-bit one is compressed and clipped. So the problem is not the 1972 recording technology...

My mistake, I thought the two songs were comparing apples to oranges. The title of one was "song sung blue.wav", the other "song sung blue livegreek th.wav". I assumed they were from the same recording, not two different formats. I was unable to pull the Imageshack full size images here at work to see the soundforge data on the recording bit depth and samples.

Wow, some engineer thought turning this one up to 11 would make it sound better...

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Should anyone be interested, here's a plot of the file ripped from the 1993 MFSL (16/44.1) release.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1521[/ATTACH]

Both the remastered 24/44.1 release and the MFSL release should be from the same master source. I don't have the new HD release so I'm not able to compare the 2 files quality wise.

The Dynamic Range is 6

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

Daren and Mitch

The "original" that I compared the 24/44.1 version with was from a 1985 MCA Records release.

As 1985 was the start of the "Loudness wars," it seems likely that this version had already been painted with the "Loudness Brush."

The attached screen grab, which shows an obvious "clip" would seem to suggest this.

Regards

Alex

songsungblue1985clip.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Daren and Mitch

The "original" that I compared the 24/44.1 version with was from a 1985 MCA Records release.

As 1985 was the start of the "Loudness wars," it seems likely that this version had already been painted with the "Loudness Brush."

The attached screen grab, which shows an obvious "clip" would seem to suggest this.

Regards

Alex

songsungblue1985clip.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thank you Alex. I agree with your point of view.

I compared the 24/44.1 vs my Original Master Recording one. I realised the sound is quite louder and the dynamic range is below 8 too. Despite that the 24 bits one does improve the sound quality, again, I can be wrong and subjective.

Thank you Alex and regards

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

Let the figures speak for themselves. No wonder the HDtracks offering is seriously unlistenable, with one caveat, it should be good in the car, cause that's where I could remember these songs played.

HD Tracks 24/44.1

foobar2000 1.1.11 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2012-08-04 22:54:36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statistics for: 25/29-Song Sung Blue (Live/Greek Theatre/Los Angeles/1972)

Number of samples: 12949533

Duration: 4:54

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Left Right

Peak Value: -0.53 dB --- -0.52 dB

Avg RMS: -10.51 dB --- -8.69 dB

DR channel: 6.74 dB --- 5.74 dB

Official DR Value: DR6

Samplerate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 1652 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================================================

MFSL 16/44.1

foobar2000 1.1.11 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2012-08-04 22:57:24

Statistics for: Song Sung Blue

Number of samples: 12818400

Duration: 4:51

Left Right

Peak Value: -1.43 dB --- -2.07 dB

Avg RMS: -18.94 dB --- -17.90 dB

DR channel: 12.91 dB --- 12.07 dB

Official DR Value: DR12

Samplerate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 16

Bitrate: 833 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================================================

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA