IGNORED

Hi-res EMI Classics on HDtracks, but with a caveat....

Hi-res downloads (in 96/24) from EMI Classics have started to appear on HDtracks. These are, I'm sure, from the recent batch of hi-res remasterings of EMI's back catalog (see EMI for details) and newly released on SACD in EMI's "Signature Series". Trouble is, the SACDs are mid-priced while the downloads are full-price. For instance, Karajan's star-studded recording of Beethoven's Triple Concerto (all 37 minutes of it) is at HDtrack's usual $17.98 for the 96/24 download, but you can get this same recording on SACD in an EMI 2-disc set that also has the Szell Brahms Violin & Double Concertos. Amazon sells this set for about a dollar less than the HDtracks' download for the Triple Concerto alone. Similar situation with Carl Schuricht's Bruckner: the 9th symphony is on HDtracks for $17.98, but you can get the SACD for about a buck less and get another SACD with the 8th symphony thrown in for good measure.

So while it's great to have hi-res downloads of classic recordings from EMI, is it worth paying more than the comparable SACD just to have it in hi-res digital form on one's computer or music server?

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Hi-res downloads (in 96/24) from EMI Classics have started to appear on HDtracks. These are, I'm sure, from the recent batch of hi-res remasterings of EMI's back catalog (see EMI for details) and newly released on SACD in EMI's "Signature Series". Trouble is, the SACDs are mid-priced while the downloads are full-price. For instance, Karajan's star-studded recording of Beethoven's Triple Concerto (all 37 minutes of it) is at HDtrack's usual $17.98 for the 96/24 download, but you can get this same recording on SACD in an EMI 2-disc set that also has the Szell Brahms Violin & Double Concertos. Amazon sells this set for about a dollar less than the HDtracks' download for the Triple Concerto alone. Similar situation with Carl Schuricht's Bruckner: the 9th symphony is on HDtracks for $17.98, but you can get the SACD for about a buck less and get another SACD with the 8th symphony thrown in for good measure.

So while it's great to have hi-res downloads of classic recordings from EMI, is it worth paying more than the comparable SACD just to have it in hi-res digital form on one's computer or music server?

Russell

Hi Russell,

I would say it depends entirely on the quality of your DS player compared to your SACD player. Personally speaking I have a good SACD player that always gives good results and also a reasonable DS player but I know there are better on the market. However, on my set-up SACD wins every time! But that´s only me...!

Check out sa-cd.net for further info on the EMI series.

Cheers,

Gussy

It would be interesting, if they have used the 96/24 PCM files from the mastering, or if these are "converted" files from the DSD masters ... (I surely don't hope so, but ... you'll never know until ...)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

HDT may be pulling a bit of a rip off, or they may just be adding their usual markup to what the label charges them. Remember, they're just a retailer, they just buy rights to sell about 99% of the stuff on the site.

So if they are high priced, it may be EMI at fault and not HDT. We don't have any way of knowing.

BTW, HDT claims SACD is always converted to 88 and 176K, and 192 to 192 and 96. No re or up sampling to different integer multiples.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

BTW, HDT claims SACD is always converted to 88 and 176K, and 192 to 192 and 96. No re or up sampling to different integer multiples.

Yeah, these are offered at 96 or 192. That's why I'm hoping these are direct analog-PCM (as per the EMI info) as opposed to analog-PCM-DSD-PCM, which would be unfortunate. It's like when BIS started selling 24/44 downloads of their SACD's. At first one would think not, but yes they sounded better than the DSD rips cuz they were, for those SACD's, more direct (recording was 24/44).

Russell

In a word, no. The SACDs are beautifully packaged (some complain the pouches for disc storage are too tight, none of mine are) with fine contemporary illustrations etc.

In two words, well maybe. If you don't have an SACD player, you may be better off paying through the nose for a download.

In two words, well maybe. If you don't have an SACD player, you may be better off paying through the nose for a download.

Yes, for those of us without SACD players (and I'm not buying one at this point) conversions of SACD to downloadable formats is a great development.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)