IGNORED

Article: Arcam rDAC Asynchronous USB DAC Review

<cite>So isn't it likely that the Jitter is a result of the Coax input source device's clocking, and would be different if you connect a different source to it?</cite><br />

<br />

Measurements are still valid for testing device's capability of rejecting jitter on the input clocking. If there are number of devices tested, all fed from the same S/PDIF source and each measure differently regarding jitter on the converter output, it is quite clear that the devices have different abilities on dealing with the jitter. Usually in these tests, devices are always fed from the same data source.<br />

<br />

And still, there are cases when the jitter seen in the output is not sourced from the data source, but produced within the receiving device due to various leakages between domains.<br />

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Not the ongoing topic, but this struck a bell: <br />

<br />

"... a whole new level with subtle cymbal trails and vocal nuances coming out that were just not there when using Foobar (probably more to do with my driving of Foobar than Foobar itself)..."<br />

<br />

Can't say my implementation of foobar opens up that kind of trails-&-nuances playback quality either. You mention it may be down to how it's driven. Would you expand on that, and what changes might have improved things...? <br />

<br />

(here using wav files via wasapi with foobar into a teradak chameleon usb dac)<br />

<br />

Thanks,

squiffles

Hello, great review, any advice between this and the HRT Music Streamer Pro and/or the cheaper one, HRT Music Streamer II +? or anything better for 500$, better if it's sold in Amazon ( for shipping ).<br />

I live in Argentina and none of those DACs are sold here.<br />

My equipment is composed by a Krell KAV-300iL amp and Sonus faber Concertino Domus speakers.<br />

Thanks in advance<br />

Karina

<cite>Measurements are still valid for testing device's capability of rejecting jitter on the input clocking.</cite><br />

<br />

Sure, I think I can agree with everything you said. However, doesn't the number given then need to be seen relative to the input jitter in order to be meaningful?

<cite>doesn't the number given then need to be seen relative to the input jitter in order to be meaningful?</cite><br />

<br />

For jitter rejection surely, since if the input jitter is very low, there's nothing much to reject in first place.<br />

<br />

Since the jitter in analog outputs is combination of the remaining input jitter after rejection and the locally generated one, it is hard to say which one is dominating without knowing the exact value of the input jitter.<br />

<br />

It is valid test case as long as the input is same for all tested devices. For a good device, the combined result should be low, regardless.<br />

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

http://www.snijders-hifi.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=159:arcam-rdac-vs-hrt-streamer-ii&catid=54:onze-eerste-ervaring-met&Itemid=114<br />

<br />

The article is in Dutch but the main conclusion is there is no clear winner.<br />

The most important difference: the rDac has a wider sound stage. And more inputs available. If you don't want to put more devices into the DAC you can go for the cheaper HRT.<br />

<br />

Snijders is a dealer for both brands.

Hi MPL, I'm more interested on the Music Streamer Pro, and the review compares the Arcam rDAC to the II+ "only", so the Pro wont be any cheaper than the rDAC ;) and hopefully better? but thanks anyway for your reply, I'll take a look at that review.<br />

Greetings,<br />

Karina<br />

Hi KariNeko<br />

If you fancy the Music Streamer Pro you’ll need a powered hub, preferably with galvanic isolation on USB to Dac side or a better power supply for the hub.<br />

You will also need an amp with properly implemented balanced inputs.<br />

Dedicated Mains Cond dis block. Custom Linux Voyage MPD server. HRT Music Streamer Pro, Linear mains powered ADUM Belkin Gold USB cable. TP Buffalo 11, Custom XLR interconnects/Belkin Silver Series RCA. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp.Van de Hull hybrid air lock speaker cables. Custom 3 way Monitors,Volt 250 bass&ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621Mid & D2905/9300Hi. HD595 cans.[br]2)Quantum Elec based active system self built.

Hi Andy,<br />

<br />

You mentioned that you compared the Arcam to the Vdac. What did you think? And did you compare the different inputs?<br />

<br />

I mention this because I have the Vdac and until the other day have used the coax input with a Hiface and was generally but not completely satisfied with it. Then just for a lark I switched to the Usb input, and strangely (to me anyway) it sounds significantly better.<br />

<br />

I say strangely as the Usb input seems to have been almost an after thought. I think it's only 16 - 44 or 48 and probably adaptive , while the coax is 24 - 192 and has fairly low jitter numbers.<br />

<br />

Chris

The Arcam rDAC killed the DACMagic/Hiface combo here. The DACMagic is sold and the HiFace is on Audiogon. Frankly, no comparison of detail, sound staging, dynamics, and tonal balance. <br />

<br />

FYI: The Arcam needs significant break-in. It was kind of nasty out of the box but is coming into its own after days of brown noise and glide sweeps. <br />

<br />

iMac/Wireworld Ultraviolet/Arcam rDAC/Blue Jeans LC-1/Audioengine A5

Hi Chris,<br />

<br />

I only compared on USB input running off my Laptop. The comparison was done on a Mcintosh Amp running a set of Focal 1038 BE's (not my system so I didn't have the benefit of knowing its characteristics).<br />

<br />

To my ears the RDac had a wider soundstage and clearer/cleaner top end. <br />

<br />

As I was purchasing to run off my bare bones asus lappy, putting the sound aside, the asynchronous USB was a big selling point for me.<br />

<br />

Andy

If it sounds good, it is good.

Well, the HiFace is a USB>SPDIF converter only. You still need a DA. For my ears, the fidelity of the rDAC via USB far outshined the HiFace SPDIF into the DACMagic. Then again, as has been noted elsewhere, the DACMagic's Optical SPDIF is preferred to the Coaxial, so this may be a limitation.

iMac/Wireworld Ultraviolet/Arcam rDAC/Blue Jeans LC-1/Audioengine A5

• 2 weeks later...

Just got an rDac and have been listening to the sweet sounds of Marta Gomez since it's been home. Pure heaven!<br />

<br />

Does anyone have any good recommendations for a power supply upgrade? Not that I am complaining about the rdac's sound in any way, shape or form (at least not yet). Does anyone have any experience/opinion of the Teddy rdacPS?<br />

<br />

http://www.audiocominternational.com/product_info.php?products_id=206&osCsid=sqcjavo4og6emfeekoburviph6<br />

<br />

thanks<br />

joe<br />

HP Pavillion> J River Media 15> Arcam RDAC > NAD C162> NAD 2400 > Totem Sttafs

Chris,<br />

<br />

Nice review, thanks. I've had an rDac in my computer system since August and I'm very happy with it. Performance is great and imo it's a bargain at it's price. I had used two other DACs prior to the rDac and the Arcam piece was considerably better than both. I would recommend that anyone reading these comments and is hopping for a new DAC to give the rDac a try.

I have had an rDAC for a couple weeks, with 20 hours listening. I am using it at work with upgraded Woo amp and beyermeyer T1. I have three systems that I have been slowly upgrading. Not sure why I got it, but sounded like a good deal. I agree with the review. It is a solid performer with no major flaws. It is quiet, musical, well balanced, although not very extended in the high frequency or low. I swapped it with my Ultra DAC, ESS Saber implementation. The Ultra is noticeably more detailed, just as musical, has micro dynamics, and significantly greater impact. But it cost three times as much. For the price the best thing is it doesn't fall down on any particular aspect. And in particular it is not noisy. I have a Music Streamer+ that is Completely unlistenable with headphones, and just sounds terrible through any speakers, I just don't understand how it gets any press. My iPod as a source sounded MUCH better. But it would be difficult to fault the rDAC at it's price, very safe purchase.

Which Woo do you own? I should have my WA22 by next week. I finally decided on the Wyred4Sound Dac2.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

• 5 weeks later...