IGNORED

Rockport Technologies

Anyone here on CA have experience with Rockport Technologies speakers?

The new Aviors grabbed my interest and my local dealer has all kinds of good deals on ex-demo Mira II, Ankaa, and Aquila. The cheaper models *might* just be in my reach, I plan to book an audition at some point.

They seem to compete favorably with similarly priced Wilson and Magico and are said to be very engaging and musical opposed to clinical and hifi sounding.

Had any money these days I would be seriously considering a pair of Rockports. I have heard their speakers a few times, and have always preferred their "sound" to similarly (or even more expensive) speakers from Wilson, Magico, etc.

I find Rockports to offer all the detail and dynamics of other high end speakers, but with a warmth and body (like real music) which is often absent from these other high end speakers. If you are in the market for speakers, I would certainly recommend listening to any Rockport model which is in your price range.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Yeah, they're good. :-P

Honestly, that kind of money opens up a lot of possibilities, though, so it pays to shop around. Once you break the $10k mark in speakers (moreso at the $20k mark), Bob's your uncle. You can go any number of directions and find a solution that will fit your particular bill. Under $10k, though, it's about compromises, and trying to find one that turns your crank "just so".

But yes, in answer to your question, Rockport makes nice speakers. Of course, that's a bit like saying Rolls Royce makes nice cars.

I spent quite sometime to search the best speaker for my taste in the price range of the speakers you've mentioned. Here is what I've found out:

- I bought a pair of Dynaudio Sapphire's; spent 6 weeks with them. They were dealer demos and I found them a tad bright for my taste with a lack of low end and depth. Being a big Dynaudio fan I decided to upgrade them to Confidence C4's, but in the mean time I wanted to search for alternatives.

- B&W 802D's came to my mind. Auditoned them extensively, day after day in a nearby dealer. Found them with a clear emphasis on the midrange and with somewhat "in your face" presentation. Did not hear them at my home set-up; but I became worried that it might be fatiguing on the long run. Would rank them lower than Sapphire's.

- I've briefly auditioned Wilson Audio's new Sophia 3. Seems to have a distinct/diferent sonic chracter of its own like no other high end speakers. Impressive but definitely coloured.

- Rockport Technologies: Haven't auditoned any of their speakers. They are quite rare and with their rarity it is nearly impossible to find a dealer and audition them for extended periods. That of course is my personal experience.

- Revel Ultima Salon2's: The speakers I've bought over Dynaudio Confidence C4s. Strengths: Increadible soundstage, clearly superior to all of the above for live recordings, faster deeper low end then above as well.

I value Dynamic range and these speakers are a match for Confidence C4s with that regard. Very accurate and neutral (better than Wilson Audio Sophia 3's on that regard). I've came to conclusion that they are best choice for somebody who values: Soundstage, fast deep low-end and accuracy.

I've also found out most owners (maybe all owners I've contacted with via A'gon) agree on the above.

Cons: Not easy to drive, needs tons of SS power. Very few who auditioned found them to be "analytical", although I do not exactly know what it means.

The reason for my response is that I think our music tastes might be alike. So these might be the speakers you might be looking for. I would give them an audition.

BTW I would like to disclose that I have NO financial OR any other interests with the company, and I have NO affliation with them. I am just a satisfied customer, who really is in love with his speakers (have to confess that my wife had found me hugging them in the middle of the night on a couple of occasions).

In essence, don't be lured by the prices at this end of the spectrum; there are clear sonic and implementation differences at this range and you might regret your purchase if you do not give enough time to audition other potential alternatives (like I did with my Sapphires)

Let us know what your experiences are in the end.

Good Luck

Appreciate your informative reply.

It seems in the 20k region the Salon2's are pretty much universally recommended as the absolute benchmark. I have not been able to find a dealer though so it might be difficult for me to audition.

I have found an incredible deal on a secondhand pair of rockport ankaa's (27k retail) at half off which is less than a pair of salon2's which I will likely only be able to buy new. The ankaa's get glowing reviews in comparison to similarly priced models from wilson and magico. They are also very hard to find and this might be the only chance for years. I will audition them next week and if they blow me away I guess i'll be sold. My main concern is that they play well with my preferred genre's (see sig) but based on reviews they are very dynamic and do this very well...

Thanks all for the feedback

My main concern is that they play well with my preferred genre's (see sig)

A good full range speaker doesn't know what kind of music it's playing, so I don't think you'll have any trouble.

One more thought to throw into the mix, though you may not have the time to do it before having to make a decision on the Rockports (about which I've heard only good things) - the higher-end Vandersteens might be worth a listen.

Music recommendation you may like: Miles Davis' "Amandla" 24/192 download available from HDTracks.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

going to take a risk, and admit that (I think) you will love the Ankaas. All Rockports are very good at producing realistic bass pressure, and playing rock, pop, and electronic music very well (not that they are weak at reproducing a string quartet in your either though).

Please weigh in on what you think of them after the audition

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Joost, correct me if I am wrong: I believe you've just recently traded your DAC2 for Medea (not Medea + as far as I can remember)

Tell me about the improvements you've observed. Does the difference justify an investment. I am dying to know.

I know I am off topic but....

"I would highly recommend giving the YG Acoustics Carmel speakers a try. They are the best I've heard at this price range. Transparency, detail, soundstaging, bass. Very fun."

While I agree that the Carmels are very good at everything you mention above, did you consider the music the OP prefers? His musical preferences are not going to be satisfied with a small speaker with limited dynamics and bass pressure.

SONORE computer audio

If you have a dedicated listening space, I highly recommend you audition a Sanders Sound Systems 10C system. 30 day money back policy with freight covered both ways. . .you've got nothing to lose but time.

Small sweet spot which is why I say dedicated space, but IMHO, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better unless you spend many times more.

BPT 3.5 Ultra/Reference 3A Reflectors/MSB Technology S201 Amplifier/MSB Technology Analog DAC/MSB Technology Network Renderer/Audirvana +

I have auditioned to a pair of Rockport's Mira Monitor (bookself speakers) about 1 year ago.

Rockport's speakers are very heavy and solid built and they sound very good. The most special characteristic of their speakers to me is the density of the music it reproduced which so far I cannot find any other brand that can match.

MetalNuts

• 2 weeks later...

So far.... AWESOME!

We vicariously share your joy. :-)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Joost:

I own the Rockport Aquila. After two years I am still madly in love with them. I had the pleasure of hearing the Ankaa. Its a fine speaker that will give you a nice taste of the Aquila. If you are able to get a great deal on them I suggest you go for it. You will have many years of excitement ahead of you.

Regards,

Ken Golden

www.lasercd.com

I've had the pleasure of hearing all of the Rockports except the Arrakis. I find them to be excellent performers.....very resolving yet musical, dynamic and extremely well made. They render a very compelling sound stage - the size and location of instruments and vocalists is top rate. Andy Payor is a very competent designer with incredible attention to detail. If you feel compelled to spend that kind of money they would be on my short list to audition.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire & USB > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Hypex NCORE 400 > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo & Geddes Band Pass Subs // DH Labs Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B

• 11 months later...
Well the audition last week was great and the speakers have just landed in my listening room. I will spend some time with them and then give my impressions.

So far.... AWESOME!

That's great news...

How much of that awesomeness is really an improvement over the CR1's?

TAD is one of the better things I have listened (especially the Reference)...I tought they do everything well...

I know the reference one can tickle all those points and, to me, are amazing...I never listed to the middle weight "evolution one" but can only guess a CR1 on steroids bass would be something special to listen to...

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations! I have enjoyed the Aviors at my local dealer who used to carry Wilson. The Rockports are much more musically convincing. I love my Tannoy Canterburys but the Rockports would satisfy me if I could not have my Cants.