IGNORED

USB Cable Question

I have been reading up on the interesting topic of audiophile usb cables and was wondering what is wrong with getting rid of the cable altogether. Ebay has several USB solid body adapters just under an inch in length which could be used to connect at least a laptop to a small DAC. A little bit of DIY shimming might be required to line everything up. It may not look pretty in the end, but would it not be the ultimate usb cable solution, ie. no cable?

EMI perhaps. I don't actually know what levels of EMI and wire conducted noise is really being put out by computers. Does it get into the rest of the system the way many here worry it does? I know it can, and I know computers are noisy environments electrically. They seem to be getting better in that regard as they use less power.

But if electromagnetic interference is the problem many think it is, having the computer right next to the DAC is not something they would want. It might be worse than having a few feet of cable. While the cable might bring some interference in at least the radiated noise is further away wherever the computer is.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

>to connect at least a laptop to a small DAC

Good DACs (Weiss 202, dcs Debussy and AMR- DP-777, emmlabs/Meitner) aren't usually small, so that you have to use a cable to connect to it.

Of couse if you are talking about "toy" DACs, then it is different ... but with a "toy" DAC, one doesn't need an "ultimate" USB cable :-)

Digital Sources: Optimised HP TouchSmart PC/CEC TL-1X CD Player/AMR DP-777 DAC/Theta Digital DS Pro Basic II (old)

Analogue Sources:Koetsu Jade Platinum MC Cartridge/Tri-Planar arm/Kuzma Stabi Reference turntable/AMR PH-77 Phono Stage

Amplifiers:The Gryphon Elektra Preamplifier/Convergent Audio Technology JL2 Signature Mk 2 Stereo Amplifier

Speakers:Kharma Grand Ceramique Midi[br]Cables:Nordost Valhalla (interconnect and speaker cables)/Shunyata Research power Snakes power cables

Portable: Sony PHA-1/PHA-2; Dragonfly 1.0/1.2; Meridian Explorer, Director; iFi nano iDSD, micro iDAC, micro iDSD; Geek Out; Hdta Serenade DSD

I was using the WW Starlight, then the Starlight Platinum.

Now my MF V-Link is mounted inside my music-server. I have it directly connected to the mainboard. The cables are soldered and twisted and only ~ 5cm in length.

I like this setup very much :-)

In my opinion, 'no' usb-cable would be the best solution.

P.S.: The Starlight Platinum is 'State of the Art' and worth every penny. :-) SQ is much better than the red Starlight.

Hi julf,

The Platinum has better dynamic, more silence, less grain, the highs are sweeter but better extension and resolution, sound is cleaner and more natural.

I hope you can follow my description.

The Starlight is the looser in every described point.

I did not want to buy the much more expensive Platinum. I had both of them at home for testing, I decided, not to test the Platinum - for saving money.

So I bought the Starlight.

Two months later we did an extended comparison of some components (all on my home system). This time I heard the Platinum, I was blown away!

This is why I shortened the USB cable to a length of five cm and did the described modification. And this solution won the race!

For wireing I used PCOCC twisted - no shielding.

Yes I could try different wires for this connection. But the output is satisfying.

Enjoy listening,

Bernhard

Are you having any problems converning EMI and USB?

What is your practical experience? Have you done comparisons?

I am asking and you can tell me, what I have be carefully about.

I think, a big advantage in my solution is, that there is no power wire running in parallel to the USB signals. Power is some inches away. Even the Platinum has to deal with this design limitations.

Enjoy listening,

Bernhard