IGNORED

2010 Mac Mini PRAM & NVRAM reset-music now sounds 'lean'

I use a 2010 Mac Mini, intel duo chip, 8G ram, with a ss HD (music files on external FW drive) as my music server. Last night for some reason my usual USB port stopped working. On the advice of a more computer savvy friend, I reset it's PRAM and NVRAM by holding down the requisite keys during start up.

The USB ports all now function normally; however, music now sounds more 'lean' or 'thin' and grainy, even using PM, Amarra Mini or Audirvana.

Any computer savvy folks know if I've also changed something else that is causing the deterioration in SQ?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice!

Randy

Briefly, this isn't normal. It does suggest something might be wrong with the USB port. On a 2009 mini that I don't normally use for music, one of the ports is quite flakey, and I could imagine it could cause sound quality issues.

What happens when you use one of the other ones?

If it is still under warranty (I know, unlikely), it might be good to get it repaired. I suspect there is an underlying hardware problem. I don't know why zapping the pram would make a difference...

Randy, try not to play different music players apps. in the same Mac boot.

Sometimes, in order to compare SQ (or sonic differences) between music players you (and I, and every one) switch from one app to the other. I found this causes some 'caches' to interfere with the music. Then the best way is to shutdown, and reboot again, when you want to switch from an app to the other.

Some DACs stores 'ashes' when you switch apps also, then you have to disconnect the USB, and reconnect it again. And, in the worst case, turn off the DAC for 20 seconds.

Also, on the Mac Mini 2010, there are 4 USB ports, the best one (for me) is the third one from the left, if you see the Mac from the rear.

Roch

This is good to know, as you well know, we all like to switch! :- )

Your optimal port on the backside is interesting, however. More than one Mac site suggested the outer ports are optimal for high speed audio not the interior two.

I see an experiment over the holiday weekend (haha). "Happy Thanksgiving" to all of you!

driven | by sound

driven | by sound - \"bats & audiophiles\"[br]

The ports are dynamically allocated, and they are assigned "high speed" only if the operating system determines it is needed. So a keyboard, and my Halide Bridge, don't get assigned a high speed port, regardless of where I plug them in (unless I plug them into a powered USB port).

Screen Shot 2011-11-23 at 4.23.02 PM.png

How do you like the Trip•Lite IS250HG?

I have one. It is now in a box in the back of my car, and I am driving it around until I can manage to get to the post-office, so I can send it away. Did you ever get the remote to work? Did you notice that thing consumes 25W of power in standby?

I like it very much, the first one went for the Mac Mini since I don't want to pay double o 4X for an LSPSU, it removed the harsh on my system. The other one is for the LIO-8 SPSU, the same about LPSU prices for this unit. And even now, my external firewire HD has an LPSU (a KingRex I already had).

Regarding power consumption, LPSU consumes more than the Trip•Lite. And since I live in the Rainforest I don't let my equipment ON all the time, there is a lot of power failure thanks to thunderstorms.

Roch

(Edit) PS/ No, I didn't try the remote, I'm still on bluetooth keyboard & mouse, and HDMI (direct connect) monitor.