IGNORED

Bryston BDA-1 Removed from CASH list?

Chris, why would you remove something from the list? I mean, if your assessment was sound when initially adding an item to the list, what would have changed that assessment since? If you're considering its performance to current devices, then you've already covered yourself with dating the entry. The device was a CASH worthy unit at that time. I think keeping the list intact is a great asset to see what's been historically highly recommended. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

The list should be an up to date one of the most worthwhile components. If something has been surpassed by several other units, it shouldn't be on the list with superior devices.

May Chris should make a list of "past" CASH devices - it might help those buying equipment in the second hand market.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I agree with firedog in that the list ought to be current and up to date. This is a moving target, what was hot two years ago may no longer compete.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Hi Chris,

My 2 cents. How about keeping things categorized in price points? I see Meitner MA-1 show up and the lower priced stuff disappeared. The Meitner is $7000!!! If BDA-1 was replaced it should be with another DAC of the same price point and worthy to dethrone it.

Leave a few DAC in each categories to help people make their own choices.

-Great DAC under $500

-Great DAC Under 1K

-Great DAC Under $3K

-etc...

Items removed can be located in an archive of past items that made it to the CASH list.

Thanks.

Jay

Raised on TV.

I see it the other way

The list should be an up to date one of the most worthwhile components. If something has been surpassed by several other units, it shouldn't be on the list with superior devices.

May Chris should make a list of "past" CASH devices - it might help those buying equipment in the second hand market. - firedog

If the intent is to keep a current list, then the entry dates shouldn't really matter, but Chris has listed them. I can totally understand firedog's viewpoint, that current and superior devices should comprise the list, but past devices shouldn't be overlooked, they're still excellent products and such a reference maybe useful for the second hand market/AudiogoNer. Maybe an archival list can be maintained as suggested. I'm a big fan of historical views and seeing how things change over time, hence knowing the entry date is a notable piece of information. Anyway, it's up to Chris, no matter what we think :)

Chris,

Welcome to the world of vested interests! LOL.

My recommendation is to keep the list relevant in your opinion....period! Part of what makes your web site meaningful is that while you are obviously a commercial site, you seem to maintain an appropriate separation that adds credibility to your reviews.

You will hear from people who own the Bryston or the Benchmark and bemoan its removal as an immediate monetary depreciation of their DAC from a resale point of view. Your reviews of each piece will remain and any reader will see at the conclusion of your writeup where it was added to the CASH list, at the time of your review.

If you capitulate and add removed components back to your list, or create a new "old" CASH list of "used to be state of the art for the money" components that would be unfortunate.

To make certain you satisfy all of your loyal members, make sure and check everyone's system signature and place all components found on your CASH list....oh yeah and make sure that you list that each of those components will hold their value into perpetuity.

You run a great site, stick to your principles. Nothing stays Stereophile class A forever and the CASH list should be a list that is fresh and meaningful.

GH in SoCal[br]Running Springs Mongoose 20a (Cardas Golden Ref) PC > Running Springs Jaco > Mac Mini > Channel D Pure Music > Locus Polestar > Playback Designs MPD-3 > VAC Sigma 160i > Wilson Audio Duettes > Cardas Clear interconnects & speaker cables > Cardas Clear power cables

Yes and no...interested in Chris's opinion as to what he regards as the superior, yes. What it means to my personal property, no.

My questioning has to do with why something just falls off the list. Even Stereophile provides a reason if a product's been demoted in their dubious ratings. To invest so much into proving the worthiness of something just to drop it seems odd. Sure, if the product isn't up to snuff compared to current contenders, then it should be noted.

The reason why I like the idea of keeping an archive list is because it would provide great reference material...to understand how things have changed, to see what was considered great just a couple of years back, and which manufacturers consistently make top stuff. I've pointed may friends to this site, and they all comment on the CASH list as a great tool, and yes, many of them use it as a reference for the second hand market.

I guess my point is, there should be an effort made to pull something from the list similar to putting something there. Otherwise, the justification for adding a product holds less weight in my opinion.

Jason,

I certainly mean no disrespect and I see in your signature that you own a Bryston BDA-1. It is an excellent DAC, enjoy it.

My point s that this site is not and never will be a democracy. Chris determines what is or isn't relevant. The review of your BDA-1 is still on this site and when you google the review, it clearly states it was added to the cash list.

The fact that you point people to this site is consistent with my experience and that of many others. It is a terrific repository of information. However, this site is equally relevant today as it was the day before your DAC was removed from the list. Alot of us have equipment that isn't on the CASH list.......it is Chris's list, not the final word. Use it for what it is, a list of gear Chris has personally reviewed and deemed currently worthy of addition to his list. In other words, like all reviews, it is arbitrary and subjective......we just all happen to believe Chris is less arbitrary and subjective than most others out there.

Enjoy the music and Chris, keep up the great work.....and remove another piece of equipment from the list just to wake up the populace! ;)

GH in SoCal[br]Running Springs Mongoose 20a (Cardas Golden Ref) PC > Running Springs Jaco > Mac Mini > Channel D Pure Music > Locus Polestar > Playback Designs MPD-3 > VAC Sigma 160i > Wilson Audio Duettes > Cardas Clear interconnects & speaker cables > Cardas Clear power cables

I believe the CASH list should be current like the billboard. The Cash list is not a hall of fame that an equipment should stay there till the end of day. It might be removed and replaced by others through the passage of time.

I further believe that Chris is not obliged to provide answer to every decision he made with the website or every reply he responded.

That's life and we do not have answer to every question we asked and we cannot without authority to query one's decision irrespective whether we agree or not.

MetalNuts

Just wanted to vote against having tiers in the CASH list. Something I like about Chris's reviews and the CASH list is that it doesn't seem to discriminate based on price. I could be reading the list incorrectly, but it seems like each category progresses from most to least endorsed, though still recommended.

Anyway, I agree with the majority on keeping the CASH list updated. Technology advances and old equipment falls out of favor. It would be nice to have an archived (removed but not forgotten) list, but I don't think it's a big deal either way. The list is Chris's opinion, and this is a pretty subjective hobby.

Wavelength WaveLink HS -> Berkeley Alpha DAC -> Audio Space Reference 2 -> Woo GES -> Stax SR007A

I agree this is Chris' site and his CASH list; he can manage it however he wants.

I would suggest that when an item is removed from the list that some explanation be given.

We read in the reviews why an item is added; based on Chris' opinion. It would be valuable to understand why - again in Chris' opinion - an item is removed.

I'd second JFTM's suggestion (and others who had commented before) that if an item is removed from the C.A.S.H. List that a short "explanation" would be useful. Even if it's the fact that a DAC (or whatever) is now outclasses but newer items at similar cost.

On another point raised in this thread: yes CA "is Chris' website ad e can make the decisions he wants" and "it's not a democracy" however if he's trying to build / sustain a community with the forum then he does have to take the views of the contributors into account in any decision (not that he doesn't) - decisions should not have be up for a vote though.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.