IGNORED

Gauging Interest: Live Q&A Show

Hi Guys - I've been thinking about producing a live question and answer show similar to Scott Wilkinson's show that I was on a couple weeks ago [Link]. Instead of normal guests I'm thinking about taking calls from computer audiophile readers. The calls can involve audio only or both audio and video in addition to showing my computer screen to demonstrate configuration options or anything else needed. I'm not sure answering email questions or forum questions will be a good option as there are often many follow-up questions needed.

I have additional ideas to make this really fun and beneficial to all computer audiophiles and hopefully the industry as a whole.

I'm interested in your feedback good, bad, or indifferent. I want honest feedback. Don't worry about offending me I have thick skin :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Instead of normal guests I'm thinking about taking calls from computer audiophile readers.

Actually, that's probably pretty close to the mark!

I've been thinking about doing a very similar thing with an upcoming Quarter Notes.

Chris, if you could share, have you thought about how & where you would host it?

And is there a limitation on connections?

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

I would suggest a couple short segments that are scripted and rehearsed, for each episode. Perhaps a tutorial segment, or something else repeated in every show.

The TWIT stuff is sometimes just a bit too loose and unstructured to come off as really professional, or at least, I think so. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If you are looking for non normal people I think you found the right group! This is a great idea...I heard some of the previous interview you did on the HT show and it was great. I especially liked the part of the show where he was asking you specifics about computer audio and the such. Nothing I haven't seen being exposed to this site, but great info just the same. The only thing I thought when hearing it was that it was definitely geared toward those without much knowledge and it might be interesting to do something a bit more advanced...maybe not clocks...they just make everyone Koo-koo...but you know maybe not so advanced that newb's can't follow along but your average CA reader would be able to take something more away as well. Since some of your interviews are with HT folks it might be interesting to see how one resolves being an audiophile and an HT buff as they tend to be mutually exclusive topics to most readers here. The HT systems are often most folks first trip into the world of the audiophile so certainly that might be a topic in and of itself...getting the best quality sound from an HT setup that an audiophile could be proud of...that sorta stuff...and if you ever get on the topic of surround music of course much of the gear used to produce a multichannel experience sits squarely on the HT side of the biz...One more topic that might be interesting to hit on with readers of the forum is the industry's apparent embrace of high resolution (we hear they are coming in 2012 from a LOT of folks)...and the apparent practices of some of the folks selling the music to use upsampled material...what constitutes high res...is a 40 year old master high res? Just some thoughts/suggestions/random ideas for things in the future...

Macbook Pro 2010->DLNA/UPNP fed by Drobo->Oppo BDP-93->Yamaha RXV2065 ->Panasonic GT25 -> 5.0 system Bowers & Wilkins 683 towers, 685 surrounds, HTM61 center ->Mostly SPDIF, or Analog out. Some HDMI depending on source[br]Selling Art Is Tying Your Ego To A Leash And Walking It Like A DoG[br]

I like the sound of this Idea, I think that you could break it down into catogories, for example computer audio files, hardware and software those subjects alone would cover a lot of ground.

But you could build the program around format of the past present and future of computer Hifi, the past could reflect on how people got into computer based audio in the first place, the present what is the current hardware available and downloadable content.

The future, well what direction would people like to see computer audio go, if you could have an ideal world what would you like to see happpen in five or ten years time, compared to what your best guess how things will unfold five years on another phone in, lets look at who came close.

But what I would love to see is a dicussion on a budget set up so people who want to get into computer audiophile land are incoraged and not intimidated by cost or techinical nohow, show future CA it is achivable at a low reasonable price and without a degree in computer science.