IGNORED

Channel Classics Reduces prices for USA

I just received this e-Mail from Jared at Channel Classics:

Dear Steven,

Since yesterday, our software has made it possible to see the IP addresses of the countries contacting us and because of the difficult dollar exchange, I can even now give american IP addresses 20% discount on our downloads!

Since we are still in the beta stage of developing this system on Channel, we would appreciate any comments and suggestions you might have.

I would also like to know what for speed you were able to achieve and what for DAC converter you are using to listen to your 192/24 downloads.

thanks for helping us make this better.

Jared Sacks

Managing Director

http://www.channelclassics.com/

Steve Plaskin

Thanks, Steve. This is a great move on Channel's part, as their 192/24 downloads were about $33 per album when they first started offering them a couple of months ago. In spite of that, I tried a few anyway (and they were excellent), but the pricing has always given me pause. Now, at about $10 cheaper per album, it's more-or-less the same price as the comparable SACD, which is great for us here in the US. I'm gonna try a few more!

BTW, I should also add that the download speed from Channel is by far the fastest I've experienced from a European site: about 3000 kbps. (I'm in Northern California.) Compare that to around 300 kbps (or even less) from sites like Linn, Chandos, or Qobuz. Only eClassical (Sweden) comes close, but they're still slower than Channel.....

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Jared, that's great news. However, when I visited the Channel Classics web site and started to register, I noticed it didn't provide a secure web page on which to enter my personal information. Perhaps that's an oversight, but with all the identity theft one encounters these days, I'm reluctant to enter personal information on an unsecure page.

_________________[br]Vade Forrester

Channel Classics downloads are too expensive for everybody.

(I live in Barcelona, Spain)

I purchased a couple of albums time ago, they sound great, but I haven't buy other albums because of the price.

I don’t buy albums over 20 euros each anymore. I wait for offers,… or just to prices drop.

Downloads should be cheaper than physical SACD for obvious reasons.

That policy of artificial high prices is stopping a market that would grow much faster with low prices.

Apple does well, I buy apps for my iPhone without thinking twice because they are cheap (and good). If they would very expensive some people would think twice before buying, others would “jailbreak” their iPhone, others just get another smartphone.

iPhone grows fast. HiRes downloads no.

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

I agree that it's sad that companies have followed the SACD business model in pricing HD downloads. Those recordings are often just copies of the original master copy, so all they need to do is copy the files to the drives used to store files for download and make copies of the liner notes and front cover art. The latter items are done for CD-quality downloads, so they don't require extra work for HD downloads. For files converted from SACD, extra work is needed for the conversion, but that's only a one-time thing which could be done by the recording company. It would be nice if more DACs would play DSD files, but that's pretty scarce at the moment.

Vade Forrester

First, their prices are actually lower than others for high res downloads.

Second, I downloaded my first album from them which was a double Vivaldi Concerto which is one of the best recordings I have heard to date.

While many of the high res stuff from HD Tracks is good, there is also much I was very disappointed in and some of the redbook variants are actually better.

This company that is being bashed here, from what I have heard so far, if the rest of their selections are as good, are legitimate. It also appears that much of what they are selling are not remastering but direct digital recordings.

I give them a thumbs up, both for reducing their prices and sound quality. I am going to try another.

Hi Priaptor

I know the Channel Classics HD downloads are cheaper than most others, and I intend to patronize them when I get some glitches sorted out. I tried to download an album from them and after going through the process of registering, the web site told me I had nothing in my basket after accepting my payment. I probably screwed something up, but I don't want to pay twice. Even with their reduced pricing, their HD downloads are considerably more expensive than standard CD-quality downloads, which irks me on a conceptual basis, although I accept it as a fact of life.

I have downloaded Channel Classics recordings from Linn and admire both recording and performance. So I'll swallow my disappointment at the pricing and patronized their site I hope.

Vade Forrester

You should have gotten an email that"your download is now ready" and then you can either download all of the album, track by track or use their Java downloader.

I am assuming that you weren't charged if it shows empty, but they seem to be very accommodating so shoot them an inquiry.

There was one instance where I never got the "download is ready" e-mail. In such cases, you can just go to your account on Channel's site and click the "my entitlements" link on the page, where you will see a list of all the files/albums you've ordered. You can then re-start the downloading process from there (which will generate the "download is ready" e-mail again).

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

I have answered Vade directly but would like to let the rest know my thoughts on pricing:

I am trying to find the balance between prices of downloads and physical cds. Yes, there is no pressing of the cds - no booklets, etc. but the rest of the costs are the same. Taxes, royalties, mechanical rights. Add to that now the cost of the server at the data center, the development of the download software, etc. My other problem is that physical cd distribution is still an important factor for a record label, not only for selling around the world, but these distributors are also promoting the artist when they come to that country for concerts. If I were to bring the cost of downloading much further, then I am upsetting a good number of people who are an important part of the promotional chain. I am now under the cost of the physical cd, actually even more so when the cost of shipping the cd is concerned. Add to that the special discount of 20% I am giving to American customers like yourself because of the dollar exchange rate, I am really doing by best to find solutions.

We are still fine tuning the technical side to the site. All comments and suggestions are welcome. We are looking into the problem that it is not clear to all when the payment process is complete that the link for downloading is via an email.

greetings

Jared

channel classics

Dear Manelus,

There is absolutely no thought of artificial pricing being made. The 20 euros now stated for a 192/24 bit recording is very reasonable for something that you can have years of enjoyment to listen to. (the cost of three beers these days!)

I see you bought a good deal of expensive audio hardware for listening. Now you need software but apparently not willing to pay for quality recordings (that were recorded with very expensive equipment I must say that also needs to be paid for and kept up!)

The costs of making these recordings, the post production time and expense. With the audio files you are getting the booklet in pdf format. So there is the text writer, the translations in three languages.

Why do I need to keep defending our profession and pricing especially when I see the money you have put out for your audio system? Iphone apps are cheap because there could be millions of people who will buy it. As you know that is not the case with classical music, and certianly not the case with hi res audio lovers like yourself.

channel classics

Dear Jared,

Firs I must say my objections are not about Channel Classics recordings, they are about pricing.

You say: "I see you bought a good deal of expensive audio hardware for listening. Now you need software but apparently not willing to pay for quality recordings (that were recorded with very expensive equipment I must say that also needs to be paid for and kept up!)"

I have purchased around 5000 CDs and 1500 Vinyls (most of them in recent years). A quick calculation will conclude I have spent more money on software than on hardware. A handful of guys like me keep recording industry alive :)

I have spent hundreds of euros on HiRes files from companies that tag HiRes prices below physical SACD.

But if you charge 17 euros for a SACD and a higher price (20 euros) for a HiRes file (that is a conversion from the DSD recording), then I say it is artificially pricey and I don’t feel comfortable paying that price. If people like me willing to buy don’t buy, there is something wrong. That is my point, nothing else.

That said, I must state Channel Classics recordings are superb quality, bot performance and sound. I hope I could buy a lot of them in a near future feeling I pay a fair price.

Digital Sources: Linn Klimax DS and Audio Note CDT3 + Audio Note DAC 4.1x balanced.[br] Analog Source: Clearaudio Innovation + SME V tonearm + Benz Micro LP S cartridge.[br]Plinius Tautoro Preamp. - Plinius SA Reference Amp.[br]Dynaudio Sapphire Speakers + Velodyne Ultra Subwoofer.[br]Powercords: Elrod Statement Gold.[br]Interconnects and Speaker cables: Kubala-Sosna Elation.[br]Dedicated Power lines for HiFi Stuff.

Right now Channel Classics is offering the best price for 192/24 titles. The quality of the sound and performances are excellent. This is a bargain as far as I'm concerned. I will be purchasing more titles soon.

Steve

Steve Plaskin

The price of the SACD is 17 euros. The 102/24 price is 20. But with shipping and handling, the SACD is in most cases more expensive.

So nothing artificial there. Again, I do not want to compete with my distributors around the world.

I appreciate your kind comments about the label and the work we do here. I really enjoy working with directly with some fine artists. The positive feedback from listeners like yourself make it worth the efforts.

greetings

channel classics

I did not know about this website until Mercman shared it by starting this thread. I was happy to see they offered a demo download. I went ahead and downloaded it, it is an excerpt from Bach's, Matthews Passion, and I must admit the 24/192 file sounds glorious. I was shocked when I opened it in audacity to see there is information all the way up to 40khz. It is a true high res file. I will certainly be buying more from them.

No electron left behind.