A superb 2-disc set of all of Hoppstock's Bach recordings, made from 1979-2001. The sound varies, of course, but it's never less than good, and his playing is just stunning.

71WhkIlV8uL._SL500_.jpg

51iXEIoNQOL.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

Only Sorabji could come up with a 75-minute Toccata! Super-human playing and very good sound.

71-SCq20MLL._SL500_.jpg

DALI Epicon 2; SVS SB 13 Ultra; Primaluna Premium Dialogue HP integrated amp; Esoteric K-03; VPI Scout 1.1/Ortofon 2M Black; Audeze LCD-XC phones; JRiver MC22

47 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Just bought it and having a first listen. This one is offered at 24/96, while the 4/5 is at 24/44.1. How do they compare?

First off - it has that gorgeous BIS sound. As for virtuousity - I have no classical training nor am I an expert. I just know what I like. And I like Sudbin!

Overall, I'd have to say the 4/5 was truly magical, a level that this 1/2 approaches but doesn't quite achieve. Perhaps the difference is the ensemble (Minnesota O vs Tapiola Sinfonietta) and/or venue.

All that said, this 1/2 clearly surpasses anything else in my collection. 

So - highly recommended, even if not quite at the very high level of the 4/5.

Hope that helps.

1 and 2 also do not compare in quality of composition to 4 and 5!

Paul Galbraith's new recording of transcriptions of Mozart and Bach wonderfully played on his 8-string guitar. Superb sound.

cropped-cover-allemande-paul-galbraith-5

12 minutes ago, jhwalker said:

This is lovely - thank you for the recommendation.

I will comment I found it available for download only from the Guitar CoOp (apparently located in Brazil).  The price is good (~$12 for 24/96 download), but the tagging is execrable.  You get WAV files - which contain no tagging at all - and MP3 files, which are tagged rather haphazardly with simply the name of each track - no other content.

Only took me a few minutes to clean up, but rather irritating, nonetheless.

I bought the CD from his agent, which nicely avoids those problems! 

While not all are listener-friendly, this recording has some very interesting pieces on it:

811uujZq%2BvL._SL401_.jpg

8141iWai52L._SL401_.jpg

7 hours ago, BacHolz said:

Hello Klavier, I hadn't noticed your avatar till now. An alternate 'nom de net' might be 'Luthier' as you have a most interesting collection of classical guitar music. Impressive indeed and thanks to all for sharing.

I was focusing more on piano when I created my account. I just recently started revisiting my guitar collection and resumed playing guitar. Now piano is on the back burner as far as playing goes.

Listened to the second volume today. These Preludes and Fugues are so imaginative, and played to perfection. Great sound.

51YlIJCY24L.jpg