IGNORED

Best musical speakers for around $400 or less

Help! The more I read the more confusing it gets. I do NOT have any way to audition any equipment unfortunately. Have bought an Onkyo A-9555 integrated amp to play music from my Macbook Pro, getting an HRT Music Streamer II also. Have about $400 and change I can put into some speakers.

Almost bought some Polk, now onto Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 450's. They retail around $670 but can buy some at the lower price.

Not as concerned about movie/blu-ray playback as I am my music files. Mostly lossless, some Mp3s, all going through the Mac/Onkyo/HRT gear.

Help!

I would also look at Jamo, since Klipsch bought them they have discontinued a lot of speakers and vanns has a tendency to get them.. I would look at the C600 and C800 series bookshelves. I know they recently had the old C803 on clearance between 4-500 which normally retail for 800.

• 2 months later...

Addenum:

I'm searching out a pair of small speakers to run in the upstairs listening room I am building. The Maggie MMGs are too much speaker for the teeny amp I have up there. Three that I have looked at recently, besides the PSBs (which are lovely speakers) are:

Totem Dreamcatchers - they have a sweet midrange and an extended treble that makes a lot of music sound really really fun, and they are easy to drive.

($575, a tab above your budget, but worth the stretch!)

Wharfdale Diamond 10.1's - clean sound - as good as the PSBs I think, but different. More detailed in the midrange or something along those lines. ($350, but sometimes on sale for $300 or thereabouts.)

Yours,

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I am going through similar thinking process for my bedroom. Have concluded that Totem or NHT would fit the bill. I just saw some Totem Rainmakers (step up from Dreamcatcher) on Audiogon for $650 - very tempting. Couple those with a smallish sub from say Martin Logan down the road and you would have one sweet setup.

Their 600 Series is nice as well.

The Nola/Alon Lil'Rascal is a nice speaker if you can find a pair used. While you're looking for those and some Totems keep an eye out for a nice pair of the old NHT SuperOnes.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

I like the PSB image speakers and the Wharfedale 10.1 as well. You could also look into some of the internet direct speaker companies. Ascend Acoustics is very well regarded; the cmb-170 fit your price, http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

Macmini (as server)-> AE Express/SB Touch-> Dacmagic plus -> Outlaw RR2150 -> PSB Image T6 (dedicated 2 channel audio system)

Macmini (via toslink)-> NAD T747 -> PSB Imagine B/SVS SB2000 subwoofer (home theater)

Macbook Pro-> Peachtree idecco->PSB Imagine Minis, Energy ESW-M8 subwoofer, Beyerdynamic DT880 (home office)

IMac->audioengine D1 dac->airmotiv 4 (work system)