IGNORED

Halide Design Bridge question, calling all owners

I had one that wasn't always being recognized by Audio MIDI Setup, they saw my post about it here (asking a question about possible user error, not complaining for a change), contacted me, and arranged a very quick exchange.

In terms of customer service, I never experienced anything quite like that before.

DJ,

I really would not suggest using a 5M cable with any audio device, especially an asynchronous one.

In my experience I would say shorter is better and nothing over 3M should be used for either Full or High Speed Audio devices. Above that we have seen questionable results.

That goes for any USB Cable!

Thanks

Gordon

The halide vs. a $70 glass optical cable into my Nova are very similar. The main advantage of the Halide Bridge is that the Nova had trouble locking onto the 96 kHz signal from any optical cable I tried. But $500 is kind of steep. The Hiface does a similar thing for about $150. I didn't like it, and its external driver.

"What's holding me back is the cost. You can get a DacMagic for the same price and use the Toslink out of Mac Mini. Is the Bridge really that much better?"

Most likely, yes. Even my supposedly jitter-immune DAC sounds a lot better with even a Squeezebox Duet compared to the Toslink output of my MacBookPro, and the Duet is nowhere nearly as good as the Halide.

EDIT: But of course, you must have money left to spend on the actual DAC. If not, I would go for a one-box solution with asynchronous USB input.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

The DacMagic is a sweet DAC. I have one and listen to it every day. The optical input is superior on it to the USB input, at least to my ears.

Why not just try the optical output from the Mac? The optical out sounds good all by itself to most folks.

Of course, I also think replacing the optical out connection with a V-Link or Bridge sounds better.

I also think an Arcam rDAC by itself, at $499, sounds as good as the V-Link or Bridge into a DacMagic, if different. You might consider auditioning one of those if you can.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Well, yes, I guess I am. I personally like the sound from the rDac a little better than from the DacMagic. Both are very good however.

USB input is restricted to 24/96, but the S/PDIF inputs reach 24/192K.

It uses code licensed from DCS with the USB interface, which gives it an Async USB connection.

All good stuff, but nothing beats listening to it.

Have you read the CA review of it?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Arcam-rDAC-Asynchronous-USB-DAC-Review

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks Paul.

All I care about is Redbook 16/44.1 so I am looking for a One-Box solution. It's hard to audition anything here in San Francisco because Hi-Fi shops are far and few.

So the USB input on the rDac sounds superior to the Coax or Toslink? I read that dcs and Wavelength are the best in USB audio.

I'm gonna take a look at the AC review. Thanks for the feedback.

I live in Santa Crud. There is very little in area. I've been using Century Stereo in Saratoga, but their selection is fairly limited.

If I had an existing system without a DAC, that Arcam rDAC looks ideal. I think I will suggest it to my sister.

I have measured several cables, at 15' length. The USB spec allows for 26 nSec, transmission delay. 15' is very close to that limit. Some cables have measured over the limit. So, use with caution. A return policy is one thing I would look for, if I was in a position, to audition one.

• 2 weeks later...