IGNORED

Amarra 2.2 Announced

bugstone

It's just weird that it's only certain albums and I can't figure out what's different about them. I've even transcoded another copy of ALAC and still have the issue. This doesn't happen on any other player with same tracks.

I know I've complained about this problem with 2.1 and find it disappointing that after 2 month delay to really improve cache mode (they claimed), I still have this problem. Someone else on head-fi said they had this issue too, at least with 2.1. So could be a rare problem but needs to be fixed none the less.

Found a fix. If I convert files to WAV and then back to ALAC, it works. When I tried converting to AIFF and back to ALAC, the looping was still there. What's weird is it played fine in the AIFF version. Think I only have this problem on a few albums so, this will work for now.

Sonic Studio contacted me shortly after the issue was reported and I've installed the update to the installer. Am monitoring now to see if re-activation comes up again or not. While reactivating I shot myself in the foot by having earlier mistyped my new pw in and not catching it later before the activation server locked me out for too many attempts. Regardless, SS's quick response got me unlocked and going again so thanks to them.

One suggestion is to have a new pw verification entry so when typing the new pw in one does not do as I did and mistype then not realize it and then lock themselves out. PW email option should take care of this (as long as one actually looks at it character by character like I obviously did not). Of course PW verification is another field to enter which is a downer too.

I'm liking the 192khz in Mini 2.2 and to my ears the sound is at least as good as the prior release maybe better.

Peace...

2.2 is a massive improvement on 2.1. Less buggy - hasn't crashed once since install, sounds better and syncs very well with iTunes.

Great job!

Weyskipper[br]WD2TB->MacMini 2010 HDMI (Amarra Mini)-> FireWire -> Weiss DAC202 -> Nordost Valhalla ->Audio Research Ref 5-> Krell 403 -> Nordost Valhalla -> Wilson Watt Puppy 8. Power: Nordost VH, Quantum QX4, Nordost Thor[br]AV: Oppo BD95 / MacMini -> HMDI -> Krell S1200 -> Audio Research (Processor Bypass).

Apple REMOTE for iPad is an iTunes remote control program, and it works pretty good with Amarra, so far as I can tell.

The "Link Remote" preference item is talking about a physical infra-red Apple Remote. (The slim little sliver thingamajig... )

Have not tried that yet, not sure if I even want to.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Wow - this release is a great improvement I think, not even counting the sane license management they implemented. I have the $$ all cued up to buy, but wanted to ask a few opinions here first.

Amarra sounds superior to Pure Music in our system now, playing ALAC files.

I cannot really tell any sonic difference in the three versions, unless I engage the equalization. I am not sure, exactly, how much of the equalization I want to use, but it does make old records, like Louis Armstrong, sound pretty darn good.

The Jr. version links EQ to iTunes- does that mean iTunes is doing the equalization or is Amarra Jr. doing the eq based on the iTunes settings?

What are yall's preferences - Jr., Mini, or full, and why? :)

Thanks

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Paul.Raulerson wrote:

The Jr. version links EQ to iTunes- does that mean iTunes is doing the equalization or is Amarra Jr. doing the eq based on the iTunes settings?

Hey Paul,

I had asked Jon at Sonic about this just last week…Junior uses Sonic EQ presets that match the response characteristics of iTunes’ EQ presets. So, similar “curves” but implemented in a better EQ.

Regards,

O.A. Masciarotte - http://www.othermunday.com

Thanks Oliver - I wish I knew more, it is getting more and more difficult to choose between these programs, but at least the upgrade pricing is only the difference of the cost between the versions.

I am really liking this version a lot.

Any advise on which version I should buy? Is there something I am really going to want in one version or the other?

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Paul wrote:

Any advise on which version I should buy? Is there something I am really going to want in one version or the other?

Hey Paul,

All a matter of degree really as MINI is perfect for folks that don't have a need for DSD conversion and fully adjustable EQ…I assume you have a broad mix of lossy and lossless files in your library, along w/good ol’ CDs. MINI can handle all of the above, with the exception of very low rate (

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

Am I missing something here? I'm running Amarra mini 2.2 (4287) and want to convert a flac folder of 24/96k files to AIFF. When I use the File -> convert folder command, It defaults to 44.1k bit conversion unless I then open the background manager and manually change it to 96k. Is there a way of automatically converting at the same original bit rate?

regards[br]Michael[br]Mac mini & Amarra 3 | Weiss Minerva | CEC TL-51x | Octave HP500se | ADAM Tensor Delta active speakers. [br]MacBook Pro | V-DAC | Yamamoto HA-02 | ATH-W1000[br]AppleTV | DACMagic2 | Sugden A25 | ADAM HM2

proftournesol wrote:

When I use the File -> convert folder command, It defaults to 44.1k bit conversion unless I then open the background manager and manually change it to 96k. Is there a way of automatically converting at the same original bit rate?

The BG Mgr is a batch processor, it doesn’t assume anything. So, you have to set it and let it do the transcode.

Regards,

the menu command should just open the background manager without executing the command. As it is, it starts converting for instance 24/192 flac into 14/44, not really what I want!

regards[br]Michael[br]Mac mini & Amarra 3 | Weiss Minerva | CEC TL-51x | Octave HP500se | ADAM Tensor Delta active speakers. [br]MacBook Pro | V-DAC | Yamamoto HA-02 | ATH-W1000[br]AppleTV | DACMagic2 | Sugden A25 | ADAM HM2

Put in a dig for gapless playback without playlist manipulation. That's about the only thing we can find with Amarra we do not like.

Just playback gapless music without a gap, painlessly, without user intervention.

We were unable to get gapless playback to work with any version of Amarra (using ALAC files) and so just bought the Junior version, which indeed, sounds good. Just that burp between tracks is all that mars a beautiful product. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Is this possible for Amarra to have in the next version?

Amarra with a full music library, but instead of importing all your music files into it, it uses "alias" of the original files. So when you select the album in Amarra music library, it uses the alias to grab the original file from Finder and plays it inside Amarra, no iTunes at all. Amarra can do a remote app for Amarra library to control it. It's like an easy Playlist mode.

Dj_AmTrax wrote:

Amarra with a full music library, but instead of importing all your music files into it, it uses "alias" of the original files. So when you select the album in Amarra music library, it uses the alias to grab the original file from Finder and plays it inside Amarra, no iTunes at all. Amarra can do a remote app for Amarra library to control it. It's like an easy Playlist mode.

Hey Dj,

Not sure what your asking for since that’s what MINI and Amarra already do. BTW, Junior doesn’t have Playlist Mode so, it does need iTunes.

Playlist Mode builds a playlist, with play pointers (start & end infomation) to your referenced or designated sound files. To be specific, the files don’t move or get copied. In Playlist Mode, there’s no need to have iTunes even running. You can drag & drop songs or add them via the Finder.

Regards,

• 1 month later...

Well, we are listening again to Amarra, and I tried once again on a demo version to get Amarra Mini or Amarra Full to play gapless tracks. I guess I must be doing something wrong, because I still get that dratted burp between tracks.

In iTunes, every track of the album is marked for gapless playback. I've tried loading them into the playlist and using the 'Playlist follows iTunes" option. No joy.

If at all possible, I would like to use the 'Playlist follows iTunes" option, as that allows me to use my iPhone as a remote control, and I don't have to endure the dreaded "look" from my wife when all she wants to do is play an album.

Would this be something worth paying a support call for, or am I just being stupid and missing some simple setting? This is on the latest build of 2.2.3.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Hopefully they fix it in there next update. Its been a while since they have had one. I am surprised that no info on an upcoming update has been released.

If you pay for there support and they cannot fix it, do you get your money back? If you do, then it might be worth taking a shot at it.

Imac > Offramp4 > Ayon Skylla > Eddie Current B.A./Stax 717 > LCD-3/SR007 mk1

KingStyles wrote:

Its been a while since they have had one. I am surprised that no info on an upcoming update has been released…

You may want to visit their Downloads page, the version 2.2.3 installers were posted on 05/31. Licensed Amarra users should grab that so they’re rockin’ with the latest tech.

Regards,

Saw this buried in the Stereophile Blog about the CA Audio Show:

http://www.stereophile.com/content/second-northern-california-audio-show-starts-friday

"Marenco's DSD seminar dovetails with the launch of Channel D's DSD-equipped Pure Music v1.8 computer playback software and the expected California Audio Show preview of Sonic Studio's forthcoming Amarra 2.3 with its own set of DSD features."