IGNORED

Digital recording made in 1988 now available as 24/96

37 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

This first caught my attention 

https://www.qobuz.com/fi-en/album/bach-advent-cantatas-philippe-herreweghe-la-chapelle-royale-collegium-vocale-gent/x374hzwl1welb

Originally released 1988, no leaflet available. Definitely was originally a DDD cd. 

This one even has the same dropout in track 8 as the older 16/44 version. Volume level is a little higher. 

Say NO to ROON

I don’t understand why any of this is strange.

DDD just means Digitally Recorded, Digitally Mixed and Digital release format on CD

So it’s easily conceivable that this Bach Advent Cantatas “CD” was originally recorded in 24/96, mixed in 24/96 and then down sampled to CD 16/44 and released on CD.

Similarly, or all the DSD/SACD albums, it’s possible the album was recorded on DSD format but it’s also possible that the album was recorded in 24/96 format and then mixed in 24/96 and then converted to DSD/SACD for release.

Reading about history of ADC, it sounds like in the 1980s, the first ADCs can only handle 16-18 bits. And by the 1990s, there are more ADCs with higher bit depth. But either way, if the original recording was 18 bits, or 20 bits, it would nowadays be mixed in 24 bits. So the final format would be in 24 bits, rather than 16 bits.

10 minutes ago, ecwl said:

I don’t understand why any of this is strange.

DDD just means Digitally Recorded, Digitally Mixed and Digital release format on CD

So it’s easily conceivable that this Bach Advent Cantatas “CD” was originally recorded in 24/96, mixed in 24/96 and then down sampled to CD 16/44 and released on CD.

Similarly, or all the DSD/SACD albums, it’s possible the album was recorded on DSD format but it’s also possible that the album was recorded in 24/96 format and then mixed in 24/96 and then converted to DSD/SACD for release.

Reading about history of ADC, it sounds like in the 1980s, the first ADCs can only handle 16-18 bits. And by the 1990s, there are more ADCs with higher bit depth. But either way, if the original recording was 18 bits, or 20 bits, it would nowadays be mixed in 24 bits. So the final format would be in 24 bits, rather than 16 bits.

This is why we need to talk about specific recordings when we discuss this topic. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png