IGNORED

Article: Reevaluating My Music Storage - Update

4 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Wow, 10GigE in the private environemnt  and you speak of saturating. Let that SINK in !
I remember upgrading our European network of IXPs into 10GE between 2004 (planning) and 2006 (starting the rollout) for IP interconnection. It served hundreds of thousands of eyeballs back then ...
You hint of saturation tells me that 100GE won't be too far away in your timeline ... ;-)

Did you take in condideration to use RAID 10 ? Or would that considered only as a solution for the paranoid?

Hi Tom, I hear you! It's crazy. 

The 100GbE MikroTik CRS504-4XG-IN might be in my future (thanks to @jabbr telling everyone about it).

RAID10 would certainly work well, but cut down on my usabel storage space of course. I'm OK with replacing a failed drive and runnign a sync to restore from the attached USB drives. I think this is a good trade off for the gain in speed in everyday use. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, firedog said:

Started a trial of Backblaze. 

I have 5TB to backup, most is music files.

So far 4 days have gone by and only about 200GB have uploaded. At this pace, the trial will end before my upload is even finished. 

I only have an ADSL line, but this is still incredibly slow.

I uploaded 16TB to iDrive in about 3 days. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

OK, I re-ran the iDrive backup from scratch and have some information about number of files, size of backup and length of time it took to run.

Backup Start Time: Sun Feb 12 22:04:05 2023

Files considered for backup: 336482

Files backed up now: 336482

Backup Set Size: 15.04 TB

Backup End Time: Wed Feb 15 09:36:24 2023

That's roughly 15TB uploaded in 2.5 days if my math is correct.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

What's your max upload speed from your ISP if you know? Did you check during the upload to try to see actual speed?

Here we've got 1.2Gbps download but only 40Mbps upload.

I have 1Gbps up/down, without a cap, for $65 per month. 

The upload was frequently around 80-108Mbps when I checked. The CPU of the QNAP was frequently around 60-90%. 

• 3 weeks later...