IGNORED

Anyone still happy with the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 digital? Moved on to something better?

I purchased mine when if first came out in the UK (I had it shipped to US) and I must say after 5 years (exactly this month), I am still really happy and see no reason to switch to anything new. Although I no longer need MQA (I dropped Tidal in favor of Qobuz), the S2 with a Zen streamer makes an unbeatable combination. I have tons of DSD SACD rips and the unit sounds flawless.

Anyone still quite happy with theirs or have you moved on to something else?

You shouldn't ask such a question😀; it causes Audiophillia Nervosa.

I doubt anything recent will make you happier.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 4 weeks later...

I moved on a few years ago to Chord Qutest and feel it's much sweeter sounding than the Pro-Ject. I especially find the soundstage to be wider and instruments distinctively laid out. Full-disclosure - at the same time I added a SoTM SMS200 Ultra and have linear power supplies on both the SoTM and the Chord. So, it's not a direct comparison to the Pro-Ject. But the over all sound is vastly more satisfying in my system.

Analog: Rega P8 'Table > Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge > Bob's Devices SUT 1:20 > Naim Supernait3 Phono Section

Network Streaming: SoTM SMS200 Ultra w/ SoTM SPS500 power supply > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC
Digital Disc: Shanling ET3 CD Transport > Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC

Audio: Naim Supernait3 Integrated> Harbeth P3ESR Speakers w/ Two Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subwoofers
Power: PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant3

• 1 month later...

I moved from the Project S2 Digital to the Project PreBox RS2 about a year ago.

I think it all depends on what budget you want to spend.

At its price point the S2 is very-very good. A few days ago I suggested it to a friend looking at this price point.

But it is also getting older now....as a design. The only problem I ever had with the S2 was drop-outs during MQA playback in many songs. So I had stopped using MQA. I think for the better also. Then I moved on to DSD upsampling.

The RS2 has opened up a "whole new sound world" but it is also priced at 2k euro, so cannot possibly compare the two.

If you want something "really different" in terms of sound experience I would go for an R2R....Denafrips Aries.

I know everyone suggests this DAC but it is true. Such good sound for the money. Not a preamp though...

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am still quite happy with the S2. However, I am going to look for a DAC with balanced output connections. I will move the S2 to my desktop system. Moving up to the two Pro-ject Dac with Balanced outputs is too expensive. I'm really tempted with Denafrip's offerings. The Ares ii (Now called Enyo) and the Pontus look really nice. I'm curious about R2R dacs due to reviews stating how musical sounding they are (Of course there are so many opinions).