IGNORED

Lumin L1 for large library

Getting back to evaluating the Lumin L1 file server as a candidate to replace PC or even a NAS for library storage.

Advantages

Low impact on noise emissions

Dedicated software for network sharing only, removing all the NAS bloatware

Simple to setup

Needs NTFS which is no drama

Some downsides

To add new albums requires a USB connection to a PC. To playback, this connection needs to be removed, or the PC switched off? It's a bit of a kludge, but to minimise noise has a plus.

The maximum size 2.5in drive is 5TB SSD or Spinning. My library is 12TB and growing. Do I buy 3 x L1 and how do they consolidate the files for playback? Not going to choose between 3 L1 to play music.

As far as backup is concerned, the L1 will be the primary drive for a Lumin U1. There are two other backup locations for the library.

A NAS has ability for RAID, it's more noise than an L1, but can circumvent with DX filters and is cheaper than 3 x L1. Can also use enterprise drives 10TB up with no problems.

Looking at the Asustor Lockerstor 4 Gen 2 4 Bay.

Some questions

What are the other USB-A connectors for?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

1. I believe there exists 8TB 870 QVO.  This is not a recommendation and I cannot guarantee operation for SSD (although some users used them successfully).  Personally I don't like QLC anyway.

2. No consolidation among different L1.  You need to switch library among different units, so I'd not recommend it.

3. USB-A port was reserved for future use.

4. Many years ago our staff did not have a smooth experience with the brand of NAS you mentioned.  Currently we only recommend Synology and QNAP for MinimServer.  With a large library you need to have sufficient RAM.  You also need to manually configure MinimServer to use a larger heap.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

3 hours ago, wklie said:

1. I believe there exists 8TB 870 QVO.  This is not a recommendation and I cannot guarantee operation for SSD (although some users used them successfully).  Personally I don't like QLC anyway.

2. No consolidation among different L1.  You need to switch library among different units, so I'd not recommend it.

3. USB-A port was reserved for future use.

4. Many years ago our staff did not have a smooth experience with the brand of NAS you mentioned.  Currently we only recommend Synology and QNAP for MinimServer.  With a large library you need to have sufficient RAM.  You also need to manually configure MinimServer to use a larger heap.

Thanks for the information, guides me a lot on the next steps.

L1 is out, the library is just too large, not going to switch between L1, L3, L3.

I would not consider Minimserver on a NAS, there's a PC that stores the library as well as runs Minimserver, bit of a workhorse. There's another PC that connects directly to the Lumin U1 with a JCAT Net card, DX Filters, EtherRegen, and is minimal config, no spinning drives, just an NVME for the OS.

The proposed NAS is only for the library storage as a backup. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA