IGNORED

SOS Help me modify this vintage crossover

Cryptic

Question

Hey!

New to this forum and figured this might be the place to come. I've recently restored a beautiful set of Goodman 3 way speakers from 1971, these things sound incredible! But when replacing the capacitors, I noticed that the 15" subwoofer bypasses the entire crossover and is hooked up directly to the +- input. 

I'm assuming this isn't normal, and I'd like to piece in a capacitor and or inductor to limit the high end frequencies getting to the sub.

Sizing the components and figuring out how to piece them in is what I need help with. I'd love to know the science behind sizing crossover capacitors and how people generally go about designing/redesigning them. 

I've attached a roughly drawn line diagram as well as not-so clear image of the crossover itself for reference. 

20220604_165454.jpg

Screenshot_20220604-165437_Gallery.jpg

4 answers to this question

I fully restored a pair of 1976 Klipschorns a few years ago.  While tempted, I decided to follow the design of the crossover designed by Paul Klipsch and replaced the caps while keeping the coils and zeners but changing the layout to suit.  

Crossover design is something that goes beyond your basic inductive/capacitive electrical knowledge set and moves into how that relates to how the load will respond to a certain frequency range.

Meaning - the original design may or may not be optimal - but you shouldn't presume that it isn't.  

On 6/4/2022 at 4:06 PM, Cryptic said:

New to this forum and figured this might be the place to come.

Actually the place for this kind of advice is diyaudio.com:

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/forums/multi-way.6/

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps.