IGNORED

SL-1200M7L Series 50-Year Anniversary Model Turntable

I pre-ordered this unit for use as a higher-end turntable for my system. In no way, will I ever use it as a DJ, so my question is will it suffice to play my record collection until the time that I’ll sell it, probably for a profit considering it’s a numbered unit. I’m actually kind of nervous that it’s characterized as a DJ turntable…

I think it depends on what you're expecting from it and how much worth you place on what a more expensive turntable can provide. The price to return ratio of turntables goes up exponentially for stupidly small gains, in my opinion. Get it, use it, listen to records, be happy, enjoy it. Only you will be able to make the determination.

No electron left behind.

9 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

I think it depends on what you're expecting from it and how much worth you place on what a more expensive turntable can provide. The price to return ratio of turntables goes up exponentially for stupidly small gains, in my opinion. Get it, use it, listen to records, be happy, enjoy it. Only you will be able to make the determination.

I’m mostly worried about vibration from the direct-drive motor although Technics states "High rigidity cabinet and high damping insulator for thorough shut-out of all vibrations, even during harsh operation conditions"

15 minutes ago, trunks_cscs said:

I’m mostly worried about vibration from the direct-drive motor although Technics states "High rigidity cabinet and high damping insulator for thorough shut-out of all vibrations, even during harsh operation conditions"

I wouldn't worry about that unless you're listening to records while flying a plane through huge thunderstorms or during an earthquake.

No electron left behind.

1 hour ago, trunks_cscs said:

Thank you! You’ve put my mind at ease…

I have been to an EDM festival a very long time ago and I could feel the bass from the speakers in my chest at quite a distance. The DJ had the old SL1200s and they didnt seem to mind the bass. I don't think you can do anything to upset them either, unless you do it deliberately.

No electron left behind.

Forty years plus has improved the construction of the motor, where multiple poles produce nil cogging and torque pulsations as the rotor is pulled by the field of the stator.

Bearing technology with regard to materials has proceeded with leaps amd bounds. The argument of direct drive vibration versus belt drive is splitting hairs now. 

In any case the belt stretches due to temperature, affecting the speed as well as the material doesn't last forever either. Rotation of direct drive can be precise as 1 in 1000 variation without really trying too hard to achieve that tolerance. 

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

22 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Forty years plus has improved the construction of the motor, where multiple poles produce nil cogging and torque pulsations as the rotor is pulled by the field of the stator.

Bearing technology with regard to materials has proceeded with leaps amd bounds. The argument of direct drive vibration versus belt drive is splitting hairs now. 

In any case the belt stretches due to temperature, affecting the speed as well as the material doesn't last forever either. Rotation of direct drive can be precise as 1 in 1000 variation without really trying too hard to achieve that tolerance. 

I have had both an SL1200 mk2, and currently own the SL1200G. The difference between the two is so pronounced it's hard to imagine they come from the same family of turntables. The ONLY thing they share is appearance. In my opinion it is worth every penny of the $4000 USD asking price.

edit: Yes I know that the OP was asking about a cheaper model of the SL1200 family. I was only commenting on the improvements made on mine over the previous version that I owned. I am positive those improvements, or versions of them, have transferred to the model the OP has ordered also.

No electron left behind.

7 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have had both an SL1200 mk2, and currently own the SL1200G. The difference between the two is so pronounced it's hard to imagine they come from the same family of turntables. The ONLY thing they share is appearance. In my opinion it is worth every penny of the $4000 USD asking price.

edit: Yes I know that the OP was asking about a cheaper model of the SL1200 family. I was only commenting on the improvements made on mine over the previous version that I owned. I am positive those improvements, or versions of them, have transferred to the model the OP has ordered also.

Thank you for your insight! I looked at the SL-1200G, but it was too much of a machine for my current system. I also looked at VPI turntables, but again, too much machine for what I need. The SL-1200M7L is a numbered limited-edition piece so I'm sure that it has all of the bells and whistles and when it's time to upgrade, I'm sure that I'll be able to sell it for a profit.

8 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I have been to an EDM festival a very long time ago and I could feel the bass from the speakers in my chest at quite a distance. The DJ had the old SL1200s and they didn't seem to mind the bass. I don't think you can do anything to upset them either, unless you do it deliberately.

My Brother, Adrian P, has shared a stage with Tiësto and he owns two SL-1210s. He's very excited about my purchase so I'm thinking that I did good. I listen to all genres, but I gravitate to metal and I'm excited to hear my '77 pressing of Aja and my Bernie Grundman pressings of Joe's Garage, Zappa in New York, and DSOTM. At this point, only time will tell. Thank you all!

13 hours ago, trunks_cscs said:

The original direct drive models were quite bad for audiophile use because they suffered from motor "cogging", the stepped speed correction was too rough. Recent

direct drive turntables have far less intrusive correction, and are not an issue. The cabinet isolation of the SL1200 Technics should be on par with the introductory  Rega turntables.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system