IGNORED

Article: KEF LS60 Wireless HiFi System

1 hour ago, mav52 said:

They are a little thin, I really wonder about stability.

I think they took care of that with the base. And they weigh 69 pounds/31.2 kg apiece, so they won't tip over so easily.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You make some good points about failure and service with a system like this. 

Sure. I have a system with actives and needing to send it back is an issue, although I'm sure it doesn't happen that often.

Two comments:

Work with a dealer and see if the dealer will commit to a loaner in case of failure - either the same model or a different one. 

The other option is to have a secondary setup. Not as expensive or as good, but at least something to hold you over in case of a failure. 

I have a second set of much cheaper....actives. 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

2 hours ago, GrahamJohnMiles said:

Not sure if they felt guilty, but they had the grace to repair and ship back free of charge.

From what I've read with several similar cases online, KEF is very liberal with their interpretation of the warranty for the actives - to the benefit of the consumer.

2 hours ago, ednaz said:

Anyone who doubts that peoples' hearing abilities vary significantly is just flat out belligerently ignorant. Why would hearing be any different than every other of the human senses? There are people who can taste a wine and tell you the grape variety, year, region, and often the vineyard of origin, where most people would be fortunate to get the grape variety right. (And some can tell a red from a white, and that's it.) No surprise - the number of taste buds on tongues, and ratio of different types of buds, varies wildly across the population, and the willingness to practice and learn to attune those taste buds varies even more wildly. There are people whose reaction times are 4-5x faster than the average person. In one part of their body, but not in the others. Some people can smell mercaptan, others can't. Genetics. Some people can smell a perfume and name all the scent components. Most of us just know there's perfume in the room. There are people who can look at a color patch and tell you which Pantone number they're looking at. 

And as to hearing. Some people have perfect pitch. I don't, I only have relative pitch. (You can look those up, Mr. Henning. But you won't.) With a little more ability - I can tell if an orchestra or musician is tuned to A 440 or A 432. My guess is Mr. Henning would not be capable of that. I can also tell you what kind of metal bell is on a trumpet or trombone when I hear it played. A lot of people can do that though, it's why you see whole orchestral brass sections playing identical instruments. It makes me a bit crazy hearing an orchestra that isn't that conscientious, the blend just isn't there. (Although if they're mixing red brass and silver bells, much harder to pick apart.) Many musicians can tell the sound differences between one piece and two piece bell construction, and have strong preferences. And you, Mr. Henning? At my advanced years, I can still hear the goddamn mosquito repellers that some businesses put up.

Some of the differences are genetic, some are epigenetic, some are talents (you're born with), some are skills (you can develop.)

And yet there's Mr. Henning, who holds out his inability to hear distinctions in sound waves as the superior definition of human auditory abilities. One wonders if he thinks his taste buds, eyes, nose, and central nervous system are also the acme of human achievement.

And none of that means that you aren't susceptible to expectation bias when you listen to and compare audio equipment. So even if you have the best hearing, you can fool yourself.

1 hour ago, ednaz said:

Nope. And every person is susceptible to a hundred kinds of bias including bias about other peoples' bias. Which happens to be the most common bias - assuming that everyone else on the planet is no different from you.

If we weren't all significantly different from each other, we'd have been exterminated as a species through the inexorable process of inbreeding.

I've had a blast taking people who believed scientifically unsupported baloney like " peripheral vision perceives color" or "the way to respond fastest to a stimulus is to have it in the center of your vision" into tests of their personal ego-centric biases, and capturing the results on video. 

The whole madness of "anything I don't agree with has got to be manipulation by controlling powers" or "anything I don't agree with can't be true because I define human consciousness" or "anyone other than me is wrong because {fill in the blank reason} is the basis of why millions of people believe in election fraud (it's impossible anybody could disagree with my opinions), with zero tangible evidence, despite nearly $100MM being spent on looking for fraud and finding nothing.

As a species, we're on the decline. Because of ego driven ignorance.

Didn't say anything like that. It's all your projection of your ideas onto me. So the ego driven ignorance is yours.

There have been massive amounts of experiments on human perception, including audio perception. No one's immune from expectaton bias in how their brain interprets data.

Saying everyone has expectation bias is not saying everyone has the same expectation bias or in the same amounts. Is that so hard for you to understand?

It's clear from many scientific experiments that humans are all susceptible to various kinds of expectation bias in various amounts. If you deny that, it's you who has the problem with science. Or perhaps just an inablility to see subtlety and the very variation you claim to be triumphing?