IGNORED

Questions On ‘Headless' Operation

I often see references to running ‘headless’ and I hadn’t given it much thought but now I would like to understand what is involved in running headless. I have assumed that essentially this is running your music server (in my case a Mac Mini) without a monitor (in my case my HDTV), keyboard or mouse. If I opt for an iPad is there anything else I need to consider or add for ‘headless’ operation other than the Apple iPad Remote App? Are there other options to the iPad. I am pretty much a Mac guy but would at least like to be aware of alternatives. I would like to eliminate (or virtually eliminate) the use of my HDTV and wireless keyboard and mouse. I believe I would still need it for the occassional downloaded movie and especially as I import CDs into my library

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I don't own an iPad, but I run my Mini headless. And yes, you're thinking is right - you can use the Remote app (I an iPhone) for most purposes, though having a keyboard/monitor/mouse from time-to-time is helpful. (Though I don't need it for importing.) For this, I use my laptop and Mac's screen-sharing utility.

Rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

ever since I got married.

With respect to my mac mini, I have it HDMI connected to our TV, but I seldom use that as a computer monitor (the exception is the kids playing games, and watching movies).

I operate it headless in two ways:

1. via iPad. In addition to Apple's remote, you will want a VNC program. I downloaded about six of these, and settled into using RemoteTap, as it gives a nice Apple-like GUI interface and scales nicely for the iPad (even though it is not explicitly an iPad app).

2. via Apple's Screen Sharing to another apple computer. If I have to do something rather involved and detailed, I find this is more convenient.

Neither requires the TV (monitor) to be on, apart from initial setup.

I first went headless for the mini with Apple Remote on my iPod Touch and later migrated to a used white Macbook and VNC screen sharing. I MUCH prefer the latter. It allows total control for everything the same as if working on the mini with monitor/keyboard/mouse -- including disk backups, and all maintenance. I'd never go back.

The really cool part is I can use the MB for any other task without interfering with the performance of the mini playing music. In particular I enjoy looking up information about composers and their music right while I'm listening to it play. My wife is also taking an interest in listening (studying even) together. This can't be a bad thing, right? Think future equipment purchases. Can't hurt, could help.

I use an iPad app called Desktop Connect and find it awesome. It was the first screen sharing/vnc type app I tried, and I just got lucky because it works well for me. I recommend it.

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

If the mini is powered down, you need to power it up by pressing the power button. If it is sleeping, I'm not sure if there's a way to wake it up remotely. Seems you have to press the power button.

Most people turn sleep mode off & leave the mini on 24/7.

rascal

A: Mac Mini => Peachtree Nova => LFD Integrated Zero Mk.III => Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 | Musical Fidelity X-CAN V-8 => AKG K 701

B: Airport Express = > Benchmark DAC1 => Rega Brio-R => B&W DM 601 S2

C: Airport Express => AudioEngine A2

My experience has been that if the Headless Mini is off-off, then you gotta push the button on the back to get it going. But others may have a work-around for that.

If it's just in Sleep mode, then I've been able to wake it simply by initiating a VNC session, either from my iPhone or my MacBook.

Not sure if launching the remote app will wake a sleeping mini - would have to test that tonight.

-Steve

iPad2 + RemoteApp/VNC Viewer --> Headless Mac Mini --> iTunes * ALAC --> cheap USB cable WireWorld Ultraviolet USB cable --> Musical Fidelity V-LINK --> SonicWave Toslink --> Musical Fidelity V-DAC --> $.97 (RadioShack clearance) Monster THX Digital Coax --> AIWA NSX-3300 --> Polk RTi4\'s --> Cheapskate Listening Enjoyment[br]

If you have the mini attached to a remote-controllable surge protector (or power conditioner) and can switch on the power remotely, you can set the mini to "reboot after power failure" and it might do what you need (but might not if you shut it down normally).

If you sleep it, you can set it to wake up for network activity. This is by far the best option, and even leaving it on, idle, only consumes 10 W.

Laptop control:

End of session: Eject the external disk by sliding it's icon to the trash. The mini will go to sleep.

Start of next session via VNC:

Open Mini's Apple Disk Utility, highlight the music disk and mount it. Close Disk Utility.

Ready for preferred listening software.

What Pure Music settings are you using to control playback with both Screen Sharing and Apple's Remote app for iOS?

I find that when playing a track more than 15 minutes long, the play position slider (time within track) stops advancing after 10 or 20 minutes. This occurs in both iTunes and the Remote app, and it occurs in iTunes even when I am not using the Remote app.

I verified that iTunes has not lost track (so to speak) of which track currently is playing. If I press command-L, the currently playing track is highlighted.

My Pure Music settings are:

Music Server > Advanced:

Update play position in Remote app = ON.

Allow manual playlist navigation = ON.

Music Server > Special:

Update track play position in iTunes = ON.

Manually adjustable = ON.

Use skip button for track sequencing = OFF.

Allow manual play of unchecked tracks = OFF.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7