IGNORED

windows server 2019 or windows server 2022 without audiophile optimiser 3

With WS 2022 I had some trouble with installing drivers, especially network driver. AO at this moment is also not compatible with WS 2022. I did install jriver when running “plain” WS 2022 for a short wile, it didn’t gave me the feeling I was moving forwards in sound quality. Therefore I went back to WS 2019 AO, much better.

Will try it later when there will be driver updates and there’s an AO version that can handle WS 2022, Phil said he’s working on it and is expecting to release it within a few weeks.

That said, I’m running Windows 10 LTSC 2021 right now with AO. Personally I think this is the best way for now if you want to stick with windows. 

I seitch to Win11 pro from Server 2019/AO3 as Hqplayer 4.15- latest version will not run.on the CORE version only the GUI version. NO regrets .. Just junk WinServer and go Win 11 pro.. 

i tested winserver 2019 Gui vs Win11 pro sbd Win 11 pro won hsnds down!!

BTW Latest version of Hqplayer 4.18.1 is brilliant sounding.. makes earlier versions even with Server Core/AO3 Hqplayer 4.14 and earlier versions sound like Fog bound

Take what I said with a pot of salt🤣  I think it is case specific to tge bew versions of HQplayer which seem not to favor WinServer 2019! Anyway I did Win LTSC /win 10 pro vs Server 2019 vs win 11 pro -- all running 4.13 Hqplayer.. Win 11 pro stood its ground. once it was 4.14 .. Server Core eliminated as incompatible .. And win 11 pro pulled ahead even with up to 70 plus processes running vs 50 plus on Win Server 2019 gui.. 

One more qualification.. WinServer always sounds 'quieter/calmer' than  Win 10 pro ! 

Win 11 pro can be said to be 'Not as calm' as Winserver 2019 GUI but there is a vividness to the sound that makes Hqplayer sound really  live and exciting! Anyway Server Gui never sounded that good ! So no real loss switching to Win 11 pro which HQplayer fully supports (Not Winserver🤣)

good morning

I don't know if you're not right that the HQplayer version is a problem with Windows server

indeed I am having a problem with Windows server DATA center 2019 and 2022
I use Roon with Hqplayer

if I take the "Vinshine USB DAC DENAFRIPS endpoint no worries, but when I take HQplayer in PCM 768 with heavy filters it works, but in DSD it palnt the server

isn't it related to Win Server compatibility?

if I have to switch to Windows 11 pro what worries me is the number of active services, the fewer the better it is for the audio quality

cpasmoi

It is no longer a matter of choice... Hqplayer 4.14 onwards is Not compatible with Winserver 2019 CORE.. It is still working with Winserver 2019 Desktop Experience(GUI) . I hv done comparisions and in my systrm Win 11 pro sounds more lively more dynamic! Yes it is not as 'calm' but at more difficult Hqplayer filter settings Winserver 2019 Desktop stutters! It is not supported by the Hqpkayer Developer @Miska ! 

I use taskmgr to manually stop processes Not needed to play Hqplayer ! I can reduce the number of procesed to as low as abt 67! Some restart so 70-80 is a more stable number..

Without AO3 winserver desktop averages 54-75 so no big difference! AO3 is not compatible with Hqplayer 4 onwards anyway!

Hqplayer 4.15 onwards is designed optimally with 12th gen Intel CPUs as is win11 so sonically is sounding better ..Just the optimization of CPU workings, Winserver can no longer compete!!

hello indeed the Windows Server 2022 version poses a problem with the INTEL I350 drivers for the Jcat card

I therefore come back to the Wserver 2019 version with the Office, I would like to use it only with the command lines, but I am not comfortable

moreover, the version of HQplayer 4.18.1 crashes on windows server 2019 and 2022 on DSD-intensive filters
I will try the Windows 11 Pro version, but on that I go down to 70 processes, because I need network access to reach the server

thank you and your return
cpasmoi

Just to refresh my memory about my findings.. i just updated my WinServer 2019 Desktop Experience with Hqplayer 4.18.1. It loaded smoothly and started .. But then stuttering.. I rebooted and left 100 plus processes running the second run.. Hallelujah No stuttering! Yes very smooth very CALM.. 

I A-B compare.. ( i hv 2 SSD's hooked up to my 11900k with Windows Bootup Mgr for me to select!) 

Next up back to Win11Pro.. Yes a bit more hectic .. not as calm as Winserver 2019 GUI 

BUT

Winserver dont seem to react to changes from say 4.17.2 to 4.18.1 

Win11pro -- U csn hear the increase in liveliness fr 4.17.2 to 4.18.1!

I think Win11pro is what @Miska uses to  'TUNE ' Hqplayer.. u can hear what he is trying to do!

Whilevon Winserver it all sounds the same fr version to version of HQplayer. Sort of a Smooth or Homogenized Sound.

I will use Winserver 2019 GUI/ 4.18.1 for mire casual listening.. 

But for serious listening I will select Win11Pro /. 4.18.2

I hope my description abv makes sense.!

Thank you for the feedback

with windows 11 pro is it compatible with Fidelizer Pro?

how many services are you running in the task manager?

I think it would be interesting to follow Berniek's Optimization Guide to apply it to windows 11

it should allow to reduce the number of services

thank you for your comeback

cpasmoi

hello @Miska

I have had problems since version 4.15 on W server 2019 & 2022 as soon as I use heavy filters for usampling to DSD 256 and yet I have a Ryzen 7 5700 G which is at 4.65 GHZ, it cuts the server outright while in PCM no problem

I will try on windows 11 pro
how many services do you run?

cpasmoi

It should run most filters maybe sinc Mx (sinc L - u need at leadt 8 gb of GPU Ram.. WinServer 2019 GUI does stutter more than Win11 Pro.. 
For Win 11 Pro - if u start stopping processes u are likely to hv dropouts

My pesonal practice is that u can safely stop::

1. Bluetooth and Windows Audio

2. Realtech or whatever mobo fitted Sound card

3. Mobo utilities

4. Intel utilities not related to basic internet cards 

5. Windows user sign on, licensing, updates, 

6. Delivery Optimization

7. Program Compatibility, User , Connected program, shell hardware and similiar utilities

8. X box , Search , passport  etc

Leave alone All Network processes as 4.17 onwards allows for streaming apps 

Anyway even w/o altering the Registry u shuld be able to reduce 120 processes on signon down to 64-67..

Since I dont like messing with Registry , I go into Taskmgr after say 10 tracks and stop the number of processes that hv restarted bringing total back to 90.. 

After a few rounds, this number will stabilize at around 80-90!

I really hear any difference btween say 67 and 80 plus processes! So I am happy

On 4/21/2022 at 8:36 PM, cpasmoi said:
hello @Miska

I have had problems since version 4.15 on W server 2019 & 2022 as soon as I use heavy filters for usampling to DSD 256 and yet I have a Ryzen 7 5700 G which is at 4.65 GHZ, it cuts the server outright while in PCM no problem

I will try on windows 11 pro
how many services do you run?

cpasmoi

On Winserver 2019 Desktop About 70

On Win 11 Pro about 74-82.. may climb to 86

A note on the Filters that my 11900k can run on EC7v2/DSD512. WIN11 Pro

.. 1st 2 cores 5.3 Next 2 5.1 ghz then 2 at 4.9 and last 2 ..4.7 ghz 

AVX and AVX-512 enabled 

4400ghz XMP1 16 gb

No GPU

Most confident to run w/o stuttering on 4.18.1

Poly sinc gauss xla

The filters from there on begin to hv more and more stuttering

Sinc S can barely run 

Sinc M used to run undet 4.17.2 now stutters quite often

A further note.. Winserver 2019 Desktop consistently sounds more 'calm' .. less hifreq sound energy?? While Win11 Pro is more vivid more lively! 

As a result on the same track localization of female vocal group 'seems' more defined on Win11 Pro while on WinServer 2019 Desktop they seem to be a more grouped together!

All observations may be in my imagination but  I hv repeated same track over and over.

To sum up yet again .. Winserver .. more calm and homogeneous playbk

Win11 Pro more lively 'hifi-ish ' playbk

Hello

I am on an AMD base with a 5700 G CPU running at 4 GHZ on 8 cores, it has 16 GB of DDR4 RAM clocked at 3600 Low latency 14-14-14

in PCM I use

Polysinc gauss hi res LP with LNS15 filter

in DSD it's another story

I was using Poly-sic Gauss- XLA with ASDM7ECv2 DSD 44*256 filter and whether it's on Windows server 2019 or 2022 and Windows 11 Pro, same concern more stuttering, it crashes the server

so much so that I can't turn it off with the button, I have to unplug it and plug it back in

several of the Hifi forum in France do not understand where this can come from

if HQplayer crashes 3 or 4 times, it does not restart, even by uninstalling and reinstalling it

I am obliged to put the system image and redo the settings

so I'll have to make do with PCM, 

Thank you for your feedback

cpasmoi

• 4 weeks later...

@kelvinwsyDo you run a NAA? On which OS?

My experience is that any NAA even on same machine sounds better than no NAA. A second machine is incoming for me...

Also, "lively" sounds good until I realized that when auditioning great systems improvements often show up as "calmer" "relaxer" even "slower"...

I am pretty sure to end up with 2019 GUI for HQP machine and 2019 core for NAA machine ;-)

All with AO and Fidelizer....;-)

Sound flavor depends on acquired tastes... I had Server 2019 core with AO3 on Clones Audio Shaar usb card vs Uptone audio Etherregen with the 10 mhz Chinese clock to a SMS 200 Ultra Neo as NAA.. 

Hqplayer 4.14 onwards Server Core did not run.. Switched bk to Win 11 pro direct USB.. sold the whole ethernet chain and invested in lots of power filter tweaks ... Staying with USB  /win 11 pro as direct usb with Win server 2019 GUI.. Preferred Win11 pro.. Yr observations about Calmer for NAA vs durect USB are perfectly aligned with mine .. At end of day if u hv very clean power and a good USB card it is a v good alternative to Ethernet/NAA approach

Of course YMMV