IGNORED

Audirvana Origin

On 5/3/2022 at 10:22 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I use Audirvana Studio with Ravenna and can report it's rock solid. 

Hi, I use the Merging Hapi mk2 as a mastering engineer and would like to get Audirvana streaming to it via Ravenna but I cannot find a setup guide anywhere. 

Is there a resource you can point me to or instructions on how to get Audirvana’s AES67 I/O sinks posted on the network for me route from?

Thanks for any help you can give. 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Mark, I’ve been using the Anubis and received my HAPI MkII yesterday. I have both working with Audirvana. I’m sending 7.1.4 12 channel Atmos content from Audirvana to them.

Which operating system are you using and how many channels? 

Im using Mac OS 12.3.1 on an intel and Audirvana Studio 1.12.2.

7.1.4 over AES67 is impressive. All I need is a single stereo feed.  

I have been using the Merging Core Audio driver with Audirvana np, but Id like to bypass CA with Ravenna.

Really grateful for your help.

21 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, using the latest VAD, but maybe im wrong in assuming that Audirvana creates its own AES67 appliance on the network?  

VAD essentially turns Apple's Core Audio into a Ravenna device, allowing any native Mac OS sound app (Audirvana included) to communicate with any Merging hardware device broadcasting to the Ravenna network.

However, Core Audio is the middleman you want to avoid at all costs IMO. My tests have confirmed that Core Audio degrades sound quality and should be bypassed during critical recording or playback whenever possible.

If Audirvana can communicate as a direct AES67 appliance on the network,  then we can avoid going thru VAD's Core Audio driver.  This is what Im looking for.

51 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ah, I see. You’re looking for an ASIO equivalent on macOS. 

That's right. From what I understand, a direct AES67 device (with no core audio involved) uses a pure integer transmission, which means no floating point container.  Core Audio puts everything into FP and thru its AU module layers (SRC, summation, wordlenth, and gain) before handing off to Ravenna. No bueno.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Which non-oversampling DAC do you use?

In mastering we use two DACs, a transfer DAC and a monitor DAC. The transfer DAC gets baked into the sound of the final master (that the consumer hears) and the monitor DAC is used only for the engineer's monitoring path.

My monitor DAC is a Lavry Quintessence, which is a very transparent delta sigma DAC, great at revealing whats actually there, and nothing more.

My transfer DACs are selected on a per project basis according to the sound quality of the incoming mixes (ie: thin, punchy, dark, jumpy, brittle, narrow, congested, etc).  They are the Holo May KTE (R2R NOS), SW1X DAC III Balanced (tube R2R NOS), and Merging DA8P (Delta Sigma OS).