IGNORED

Article: How To Decode and Play Dolby TrueHD Atmos on Windows and macOS

52 minutes ago, phoenixdogfan said:

So how much processing power does all this eat up?

My 2020 Intel i5 13" MacBook Pro is adequate to do the Blu-ray ripping, Atmos decoding + audio recording at the same time and video editing + playback. But I personally prefer HQPlayer Embedded to do the DSP (room correction) and upsampling to multichannel DSD256 so I setup a 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K server for it. The latter one is optional tho.

5 minutes ago, retro said:

@El Guapo, many many thanks for your great tutorial..! 

Question, when you are done in DaVinci, when you have synced the video and audio, can you then mux them together to use with other players? 

My guess is no, but I have to ask..🙂

Can’t you just export into a format that supports all the channels?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

19 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Can’t you just export into a format that supports all the channels?

Yes, JRiver should handle the audio in 16-ch caf or waw, as far as I understand..?

However, it does not support playback of separate audio and videofiles together.

So some sort of muxing it all together, video + audio, is needed. Maybe it's not possible..?

1 hour ago, retro said:

Yes, JRiver should handle the audio in 16-ch caf or waw, as far as I understand..?

However, it does not support playback of separate audio and videofiles together.

So some sort of muxing it all together, video + audio, is needed. Maybe it's not possible..?

I assume the only reason to put audio and video together in the Resolve app, is to be able to export those together. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

21 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I assume the only reason to put audio and video together in the Resolve app, is to be able to export those together. 

Yes. if possible..?!?

Not sure we understand each other 100%, but my end-goal is being able to play-it-all, video + decoded Atmos audio, perfectly synced, with only JRiver and/or Kodi.

15 minutes ago, retro said:

Yes. if possible..?!?

Not sure we understand each other 100%, but my end-goal is being able to play-it-all, video + decoded Atmos audio, perfectly synced, with only JRiver and/or Kodi.

I completely understand the goal. I’m just saying that the Resolve app was built to edit then export. Nobody uses Resolve to watch anything. 

15 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I completely understand the goal. I’m just saying that the Resolve app was built to edit then export. Nobody uses Resolve to watch anything. 

Ok, but that's exactly what El Guapo is doing in his (great) tutorial..?!? Nothing about exporting as I can find..?!?

I've read it several times, but maybe I'm missing something..?

@El Guapo Thanks for explaining all this.

So, there is no current mediaplayer for windows that is capable of playing video and more than 8 discrete audiochannels at the same time?  Playing audio only, then 8+ discrete channels are no problem.

Have I got the above correct??

Ok, apparently QuickTime player will work (have not tried myself), but that's no longer supported on windows..

But if QuickTime in fact does work with 8+ channels, doesn't that mean that the current mediaplayers, JRiver, Kodi etc.  should be able to overcome this limit too..?!?

2 hours ago, retro said:

So, there is no current mediaplayer for windows that is capable of playing video and more than 8 discrete audiochannels at the same time?  Playing audio only, then 8+ discrete channels are no problem.

Have I got the above correct??

Yes. After tried some major players I would make that conclusion.

2 hours ago, retro said:

But if QuickTime in fact does work with 8+ channels, doesn't that mean that the current mediaplayers, JRiver, Kodi etc.  should be able to overcome this limit too..?!?

I thought it's just no such demand before this Atmos journey. No one was crazy enough to make / distribute the digital videos with greater than 8-channel LPCM audio. 😆 Both Dolby and DTS are using computational methods to expand the presentation channels.

But so far this demand is still not strong enough to push developers to enhance their product I thought...

21 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Or use Resolve to export .mov with 16ch, 24/48 LPCM and playback from QuickTime for Windows.

Apology. This is incorrect information. I just verified .mov with 16ch LPCM audio is unable to playback from my QuickTime 7 Pro for Windows. The maximum supported audio channel is still 8... 😥

Just now, phoenixdogfan said:

Based on this thread, I'm looking very carefully at a Mac Mini M1.  In fact my only questions are whether I need 8gb or 16gb of RAM, and 256 or 512gb of memory. And this from a nearly 70yo lifelong Windows guy.

I have an M1 Mini with 8GB RAM and 512GB of storage. Some days I wish I would've got more RAM, especially because I can't add any after the fact. I'd never get less than 512GB for storage, but that's just me. I try all kinds of things that sometime require a lot of local storage. 

1 hour ago, phoenixdogfan said:

Based on this thread, I'm looking very carefully at a Mac Mini M1. 

just FYI, the current M1 will not output anything but 48K through the HDMI port which I found out after buying one... sent it back.

I know not the focus of this thread, and for Atmos looks like the 48K limit is not a  problem, but in case you were thinking about the possibility of interfacing it with a processor like mine that accepts HDMI input and want to use higher rates like I do

Agree with advice to get the 16GB ram version. If you go to the Apple site and scroll to the bottom of the page there is a link to the refurbished site where you might find what you want for a bit of a discount

Capture.JPG

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768