IGNORED

Article: How To Decode and Play Dolby TrueHD Atmos on Windows and macOS

On 3/24/2022 at 10:10 PM, El Guapo said:

...What I did was I use Audacity to record the DRP output...

Guapo

Hi Guapo, I'm playing around with outputting the audio to WAV files, enabling me to use any playback software I want, that accepts 12 channels. 

Question: Do the channels for a 7.1.4 system get mapped correctly when saving the Audacity output as WAV?

I see this screen when exporting the tracks, but I don't know if I need to change anything. There's no way to know which cannel is which.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 12.06.25 PM.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

When capturing with Audacity, which file format are you saving to?

WAV or AIFF or CAF. Only these three format can handle >8 channels.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

WAV has file size limits of 4 GB. I want to save an entire album, then create a cue sheet. An entire album of 12 channel 48k will be quite large.

WAV and AIFF both have 4GB limits.🥲

My workaround:

1. Rip by chapter and in Audacity save to one of these format then make a playlist in HQPlayer. 

2. Record the full album in Audacity then export to Apple Core Audio File (CAF). CAF has virtually no file size limit. QuickTime Player can open the CAF file and playback full channels (I tested 9.1.6 / 16ch with no problems).

8CF451CF-8105-4E5F-9808-89DE42D585DF.thumb.jpeg.a7ebd34b5593a7f79303591215e0068f.jpeg

27 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

WAV or AIFF or CAF. Only these three format can handle >8 channels.

WAV and AIFF both have 4GB limits.🥲

My workaround:

1. Rip by chapter and in Audacity save to one of these format then make a playlist in HQPlayer. 

2. Record the full album in Audacity then export to Apple Core Audio File (CAF). CAF has virtually no file size limit. QuickTime Player can open the CAF file and playback full channels (I tested 9.1.6 / 16ch with no problems).

8CF451CF-8105-4E5F-9808-89DE42D585DF.thumb.jpeg.a7ebd34b5593a7f79303591215e0068f.jpeg

I'm trying W64 and R64 formats. they are both nearly identical to original WAV.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

https://reverb.com/item/51272867-merging-hapi-convertor-with-da8p-premium-8-channel-output-card?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=Criteo-US-Conversions-2021Q4&utm_content=2x2

here's some hardware somebody may be interested in. I have no affiliation

Merging HAPI Convertor with DA8P Premium 8 Channel Output Card

y4j7wcacsu6mgjmdnzsn.jpg

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

Great work Chris!

Yes, as an audio only solution for Atmos, with this latest development, I'd say you nailed it! 

But some (many) of us like video too..in my case, concert blurays especially..🙂 

But which software to use for the merge..mkvtoolnix perhaps..?!?

@El Guapo, hoping you're into video as well..any ideas on merging the audio and video..?

So my discs arrived today. haven't looked at it all but the packaging, book, etc look very nice

however, even though it says it Atmos 24/96, my processor reports 48K. It reports 96K on the stereo and DTS mix. 

Perhaps it is a setting on my Trinnov, but I think I tried them all, so can anyone confirm the disc is actually 24/96 in the Atmos mix?

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

2 minutes ago, bbosler said:

So my discs arrived today. haven't looked at it all but the packaging, book, etc look very nice

however, even though it says it Atmos 24/96, my processor reports 48K. It reports 96K on the stereo and DTS mix. 

Perhaps it is a setting on my Trinnov, but I think I tried them all, so can anyone confirm the disc is actually 24/96 in the Atmos mix?

IMG_3505.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

It’s 24/48

2 minutes ago, bbosler said:

we

well that sucks. I spent $75 thinking I was getting a 96K mix as stated

nice book but not why I bought it, guess I can send it back to Amazon.

it does play about 10 dB louder from the DVD than it does from Apple Music for whatever that's worth

Yeah, the Apple Music presentation is quite different from the TrueHD one. 

I ripped the TrueHD (not Atmos) Guns N’ Roses Appetite for Destruction blu-ray today. Tons of good info in the book about who mixed and mastered the tracks. Even says the source of the high resolution material. 

For

20 hours ago, retro said:

Thx @El Guapo

But what about us poor souls who don't use Mac..?

Maybe should take a stab at building a Hackintosh..😇

So i used in earlier a times a tool called tsmuxer which muxed almost everthing together, even subtitles and wand wav64 and so on. There is a opensource (wasn`t before) version available which is maintained on github. You can inform yourself here:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176668

These guys are really good there and it is also available for windows.

2 hours ago, Me2 said:

For

So i used in earlier a times a tool called tsmuxer which muxed almost everthing together, even subtitles and wand wav64 and so on. There is a opensource (wasn`t before) version available which is maintained on github. You can inform yourself here:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176668

These guys are really good there and it is also available for windows.

Thx Me2!

Checked it out a bit and it seems useful for muxing video and audio together, however I couldn't find anything about delaying video. Maybe you know?

Or if I'm asking everybody, what Win software is capable of delaying the videostream similar to FinalCutPro on Mac...? This is not something I'm familiar with..