IGNORED

Article: How To Decode and Play Dolby TrueHD Atmos on Windows and macOS

10 hours ago, Me2 said:

For

So i used in earlier a times a tool called tsmuxer which muxed almost everthing together, even subtitles and wand wav64 and so on. There is a opensource (wasn`t before) version available which is maintained on github. You can inform yourself here:

https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176668

These guys are really good there and it is also available for windows.

I think the real issue is nearly all of the players, even the best VLC, support up to 8 audio channels max for playback. So far I could only use QuickTime Player to playback movie in fullscreen mode with 16 audio channels...

1 hour ago, Me2 said:

I think Jriver is able to play until 32 discrete channels depending on the output device

Yes. JRiver could playback movie with 16ch audio to my Merging device directly. But I don't know which part I missed I just couldn't put the "virtual audio interface" like BlackHole or Dolby Audio Bridge in the audio path. Such issue not allows me to route the audio into HQPlayer as DSP. So I didn't put JRiver on my list.

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Yes. JRiver could playback movie with 16ch audio to my Merging device directly. But I don't know which part I missed I just couldn't put the "virtual audio interface" like BlackHole or Dolby Audio Bridge in the audio path. Such issue not allows me to route the audio into HQPlayer as DSP. So I didn't put JRiver on my list.

That's strange.. Any chance u could start a thread in JRiver's forum..?

Find this very interesting.  There is probably a way to get two dacs to run on a Windows 10 Box.  ASR had a thread a while back on this.

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-use-2-dacs-on-1-windows-10-pc-with-separate-peq-profiles.20935/

My interest in this would be along the lines of using my Windows set up to play Atmos movies from the streaming services--Netflix, Vudu, and HBO.  Will the Dolby Reference Player running on Windows 10 accept streaming input from these services (yes, I know they're DD+ and not Dolby True HD) and how do I set that up?

6 minutes ago, phoenixdogfan said:

Find this very interesting.  There is probably a way to get two dacs to run on a Windows 10 Box.  ASR had a thread a while back on this.

https://www.audio “science” review/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-use-2-dacs-on-1-windows-10-pc-with-separate-peq-profiles.20935/

My interest in this would be along the lines of using my Windows set up to play Atmos movies from the streaming services--Netflix, Vudu, and HBO.  Will the Dolby Reference Player running on Windows 10 accept streaming input from these services (yes, I know they're DD+ and not Dolby True HD) and how do I set that up?

A Mac will decode DD+ with Apple Music. I wonder if it will decode streaming TV. 

The Dolby Reference Player is a file player only. No input routing. The Dolby renderer has routing. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wonder if it will decode streaming TV.

In my experience the web streaming services on Mac are 2ch (I have no idea why). Only TV app can playback DD+ ATMOS contents.

On Windows there's some streaming service apps like Netflix or Disney+ can provide 5.1 contents. But if you want to playback streaming ATMOS movies on Windows you need an AVR. Windows doesn't have DD+ built-in.

35 minutes ago, phoenixdogfan said:

There is probably a way to get two dacs to run on a Windows 10 Box.

On a Mac you can locate all of your USB DACs to make an aggregate device and mapping the audio channel for Dolby 5.1, 7.1 or ATMOS in PCM mode thru Audio MIDI Setup.

So there are no renderers able to decode Atmos streaming content (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV+, Vudu, HBO Max) on either a Windows or Mac.  For the record, Netflix does indeed offer Atmos content on its Windows desktop app

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1518160755#:~:text=Besides Xbox One and LG,app%2C the company has confirmed.

So I know Netflix Windows desktop does indeed output Windows content, JRiver can indeed process far in excess of 8 channels, mixing programs like Voicemeter can route to two discrete DACS.  Seems like the only missing piece is a renderer to take the bitstream and output PCM.  No options in either Windows or Apple for Atmos streaming?

3 minutes ago, phoenixdogfan said:

No options in either Windows or Apple for Atmos streaming?

Current version of macOS and 2019 or later hardware can decode DD+ ATMOS streaming content in system level. I always use Music app for ATMOS music and TV app for ATMOS movies. Confirmed 7.1.4 output to my Merging device.

I guess "in system level" means you can hook up headphones or a sound bar directly to the computer, and hear ATMOS that way, but you can't send it via USB to a DAC?

The app on your TV will stream Atmos via HDMI to an ATMOS AV receiver, or control center, but not to a USB DAC like an Octo 8, or a Motu Ultralite 5.  

I'm not at all familiar with Merging Anubis.  Seems like it goes even deeper down this rabbit hole than I'm currently inclined to go.

8 hours ago, phoenixdogfan said:

you can't send it via USB to a DAC?

Certainly you can. After you install virtual interface like BlackHole or connect to physical multichannel DACs.

And you can even aggregate all your USB DACs as physical output channels. Current macOS has the ability to decode DD+ ATMOS to multichannel PCM then send to your DACs. Here's the example: 

So far I have one additional USB DAC in hand (I'm in biz travel). I can aggregate one 2ch headphone amp (connected to MBP's headphone out), one 2ch USB DAC, and an 8ch Anubis to do the full ATMOS 7.1.4, 12 channels physical output. I designated these three physical output devices as: MBP's headphone out was ch1 and 2, USB DAC was ch3 and 4, my Anubis was ch5 to ch12. If you have multiple 2ch DACs you can do the same. macOS will recognize it and decode DD+ ATMOS for you.

791020728_Image2022-4-5at9_39AM.thumb.jpg.137292d4c562f5c03135d002fb7b0213.jpg265723579_Image2022-4-5at9_39AM.thumb.jpg.7cc2e20bd7f72d2cdc8eacf87410e8bf.jpg

The problem of this setup: No volume controls. You have to adjust the volume on your DACs separately. If you use 4 DACs to make 5.1.2 or 6 DACs to make 7.1.4 that'll be very painful, even some premium DACs don't have volume control... I'd suggest you to find a multichannel pre-amp to do this job.

Alternative way is use Loopback app to make a software volume control route. Use BlackHole as default output in System Pref Pane, then route it to the previous aggregate device. Then you can use macOS's volume control.

1802872991_Image2022-4-5at9_11AM.thumb.jpg.42fe6ccb4263d00b2526fc3a495ffa25.jpg 

Since every DAC has its own latency, using aggregate technique please be cautious that might worsen your listening experience. I just want to prove Mac has DD+ ATMOS decoding capabilities when you install virtual interface or connected to multichannel DACs.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Reassemble video and 16 audio tracks in DaVinci Resolve and playback from it? 🤔🤔

Thanks for replying @El Guapo.

I just downloaded the manual for DaVinci Resolve. It has 3981 pages....🤯

Have you used this program and maybe know if it's the right tool for the job..?