IGNORED

Linear Power Supply for Mac Mini Roon Server

topside3

Just be sure that whatever supply you choose is truly capable of delivering at least 4.5A at 12V.

And there must be no droop because a Mac min will turn itself off right at 11.5V; can’t tell you how many people buy our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit and then come back to us complaining that their Mac either won’t boot or turns off under heavy compute loads—and that is always due to the inability of their inexpensive LPS not being able to deliver enough current.

Most of the Chinese LPS units that you see on eBay/Amazon/AliExpress are incapable of delivering on their promised output current ratings (I have benched a whole bunch of them with my programmable load box; results published somewhere here on the forum).

The HDPLEX unit is a very good value and does fully deliver on its current rating—but I think they have been out of stock for a while.

I recognize that our lovely choke-filtered, dual-output JS-2 is not cheap, but it is robust and we have not raised the price on it in the six years of production (though our costs have go up a lot). And it can reliably deliver 7.4A at 12V all day long without even getting more than modestly warm. Finishing up and shipping another 13 this week. Two left from this batch… B|

Thanks for the info @Superdad. The main reason I'm looking for a lower priced unit is I'm hesitant to spend a lot if it's not going to make a difference (the mini is only connected to the network, not directly to my DAC, and is isolated by fiber). There are a lot of arguments out there in the forums on this subject! BUT, perhaps the JS-2 will be my best bet.

Sometimes its best to step back and look at the big picture of a potential problem

Problem statement - I want clean power, because I suspect dirty power is causing A, B & C

I have a budget of X

What could be causing dirty power in a home? Appliances, Computers, things not grounded, things poorly designed turning off and on.

If I get a linear power supply will it rid me of the ill effects of these things? Possibly to some extent, depends on how good the filtration etc. is....

Other considerations:

Balanced power

New dedicated A/C line

IMO, the best 'first place' to start is a dedicated A/C line...it does not cost as much as you think esp compared to fancy Audiophile gear.

Second I would go for a Balanced Line transformer. Doing either of these first will require a lot less from down stream power supplies etc. Also consider that in many cases gear could have switching regulators, which pretty much voids all that linear non-switching going on upstream.

As always YMMV and I'm pretty sure someone here disagrees with all or part of my post in theory or principle. 

FWIW, I got the biggest improvement from a dedicated line, followed very closely to a properly grounded A/C line. These alone did 90% of the work if not more maybe even 99%, from there I used a Balanced line transformer [just because] and I still use LPS again [just because]. I also have been known to go-commando...well my gear that is...no fuse.

Oh and of course I still have the fancy Furutech and Oyaide outlets, covers and an assortment of DIY and Audiophile grade power cords. So basically from the meter to my gear and everywhere in between.

6 hours ago, Superdad said:

Just be sure that whatever supply you choose is truly capable of delivering at least 4.5A at 12V.

And there must be no droop because a Mac min will turn itself off right at 11.5V; can’t tell you how many people buy our Mac mini DC-conversion/Linear Fan Controller Kit and then come back to us complaining that their Mac either won’t boot or turns off under heavy compute loads—and that is always due to the inability of their inexpensive LPS not being able to deliver enough current.

Most of the Chinese LPS units that you see on eBay/Amazon/AliExpress are incapable of delivering on their promised output current ratings (I have benched a whole bunch of them with my programmable load box; results published somewhere here on the forum).

The HDPLEX unit is a very good value and does fully deliver on its current rating—but I think they have been out of stock for a while.

I recognize that our lovely choke-filtered, dual-output JS-2 is not cheap, but it is robust and we have not raised the price on it in the six years of production (though our costs have go up a lot). And it can reliably deliver 7.4A at 12V all day long without even getting more than modestly warm. Finishing up and shipping another 13 this week. Two left from this batch… B|

I totally agreed with Alex, and I did have the experience of inexpensive LPS did not able to boot or turned off, and finally bought a JS-2. My Mac mini 2012 being charged by JS-2 24/7 for almost a month, have not shut off once. To me, either go for a better LPS, otherwise I would stay with the original stock power supply. I tried a few cheap Chinese LPS, hardly heard any improvement .. but just waste of money.

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

• 1 month later...

I replaced my Auralic Aries G2 (with a custom internal PSU) with a late 2014 Mac mini with HQP and Uptone JS-2. 

And to say that I never looked back is a stark understatement. The combo is like bright sunny day vs dark moonless night. For less than half the money. Unreal! Psst, don't tell anybody (unless you want to buy my Auralic which is theoretically for sell)....

Cheers

T

• 2 weeks later...