IGNORED

Who are the competitors for good class A amplifiers?

4 hours ago, Temporal_Dissident said:

Having a blast with my Luxman L-590AXII.

Read nice reviews about them. Hard to find now as they're being phased out.

Did you try the Lux L-590AXii on your Wilson Yvette (86 dB Sensitivity)? I read elsewhere that the L-590AXii has nice "clean power", notwithstanding its modest 30W.

On 7/4/2022 at 12:51 AM, AudioDoctor said:

Schiit Tyr monoblocks

These are Class AB?

Roon Rock (Intel i5) > HQPlayer (Win11 Intel i9-12900, 32Gb DDR5 6000MHz, 360mm AIO, RTX3080TI 12Gb) >

WiFi > Sonore opticalRendu > USB >Holo Audio May >

Luxman C-900u > Luxman M-900u > Focal Sopra 2💙💛

1 hour ago, ArcticSapien said:

Did you try the Lux L-590AXii on your Wilson Yvette (86 dB Sensitivity)?

I have not. At this point it is powering a pair of OJAS Artbook Shelf speakers with horn modification (sensitivity 96db). They sound great, especially backed by a pair of REL S/510’s. 

The Yvette’s are in a different location. That test will come.  

Roon > dCS Bartok > Parasound JC 2BP > Parasound JC 5 > Wilson Yvette

Technics SL-1200G & Bluesound Node > Luxman L-590axII > OJAS Bookshelf w/ Tweeter Horn Mod

• 3 months later...

Just FWIW, my Pass XA25 runs warm, never hot. "Space heaters" they are not, not even close! But I only listen at 70-75db. I can rest my hand on the heatsink fins just fine. My networking electronics and fancy power supplies are hotter, although I can still rest my hand on the top surface.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

1 hour ago, MarcelNL said:

if it's a class A it'll consume full power regardles of to what volume you crank the music up. 

I built a set of Pass designed ACA's and they ran hot. One could cook an egg on them.

My rebuilt Pioneer M-22 class A also run hot.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

• 7 months later...
On 1/16/2022 at 12:21 PM, davide256 said:

Starting to delve into an area I really haven't paid attention to. While I don't need a ton of power in a 12x12 room,  Magnepans  behave best with

pristine amplification that behaves well with low speaker impedance and that I don't have. I'm familiar with Pass, their smallest amp the

XA25 is class A and sounds like a good fit but before I spend $5K I'm wondering who the competitors are. No interest at this point in class AB or D amps

If you are open to Chinese hifi, there are a few pristine sounding 'very affordable' options. But, you may be out of luck to get it serviced if something broke.

Pass Labs may be a good idea considering the support/ service perks if you are in the US..