IGNORED

Pi 2 Design Mercury Streamer

bobfa

Im a bit late to this but am so glad you began reviewing the new Pi2 Mercury.!
I’m almost there about  a purchase, as I’m (so far) seeing it as a significant improvement on the Pi2AES. Or at least for those not wanting to tinker to such a great extent. I’m currently using an allo digione, even managed to copy/paste code though ssh (Volumio) to calm the rpi s bit. Definitely improved s/q overall. But now seeking a decent upgrade, and one that would hopefully best the new ifi zen stream. Plus would really like to try I2s for once. 

Question: have you had a chance to stream via wifi since this post? If so, compared it to the Pi2AES? 

Thanks in advance! 

10 hours ago, zackthedog said:

I'm expecting a Mercury any day now.  I like my Pi2AES a lot.  With Gentooplayer it's a true bargain, IMO, very good sound.  I prefer coax over AES, seems cleaner.  My Dac doesn't have I2S input, but the coax makes excellent music.  I'll post a comparison when I get the Mercury.

That would be really great, thank you. The upgrade bug really bit me hard yesterday, so I went ahead and ordered the Mercury! Considered it would be a notable and worthwhile upgrade to my allo board/rpi. Still very curious about the comparison, so I look forward to your findings. My dac has I2s, so I’ll make sure to report any differences I find between I2s and coax, of course there are SO many variables that can effect outcomes. Very much appreciate everyone’s input and expertise on these amazing game-changing devices! 🙏🏼

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 8:45 PM, Superdad said:

Sure Bob.  I'm enjoying the heck out of mine (well, technically yours Bob--until I send you a check for it this week or next 9_9).

So far I have tried a variety of permutations and comparisons.  When using the Mercury it is always I2S out direct to my Holo Spring L3 via a Pangea HDMI cable, powered by a prototype of an advanced new power supply we are working on.

I normally run a Pareto Audio(@lmitche) built AudioLinuxNUC as my Roon Core Server (and endpoint via optical USB--into a heavily modified by @scan80269Singxer SU-1 to I2S)--prior to using the Mercury as endpoint.

[When NUC is DDC-attached Server/Endpoint then it is on 'B' side of optically-fed/externally-clocked EtherREGEN; When Mercury is endpoint the NUC is moved to an 'A' side port and Mercury gets the 'B' port.  All this is VERY audible--especially when using my DSD64 copy of Nina Simone's very first album as remastered exquisitely to SACD by Ryan Smith. Been listening to this LP for 59 years--since I was 1 year old; crazy the sonic details in there besides just the timeless beauty of her performance.]

For OS I have so far tried Volumio, PiCorePlayer, Ropieee, and GentooPlayer.

I have tried LMS/SqueezeLite (best with LMS not run on Mercury, and better when LMS was run on the AudioLinux NUC than from my desktop controlling M1 MacBook Pro) and Roon.  

Until this morning the best SQ I got was with Ropieee running RoonBridge.  Then for a short time I had GentooPlayer (configured with system and RoonBridge loaded into RAM) running and was in heaven.  But then I started having problems with the Mercury even being seen on the network with GentooPlayer running (literally its IP address vanishes from my IP scanner utility).  

There are other things I plan to try when I get GentooPlayer stable--such as copying a couple of favorite discs to the microSD or RAM. And then later I might buy an M2 flash drive to load a portion of my library there.

Having fun with this high-value box! :D

@SuperdadImpressive implementations and avenues taken here! Gives us considerable insight on ways to squeeze cleaner digits etc. 

a couple of questions and forgive me if I’ve misinterpreted here…

Were you saying that you’ve also tried simply running to your dac straight in without additional ddc conversion/cleanup? My hope is that the Mercury will be impressive enough an upgrade by simply accessing Qobuz via Volumio and sending to my d70s via I2s (hdmi cable). With those impressive clocks etc. I’m imagining it will far outperform my allo digione/rpi - which is already sounding pretty nice after some ssh into Volumio to quiet down the rpi side with some code. 

Next…

Will we be able to purchase - or carefully kit assemble - this wonderful power supply of which you speak? 🙃

sorry to ask such a noob question here...

I'm currently using Volumio and the control app on iPhone for current rig, and have my Mercury preloaded with it (it's still on the way).

Haven't ventured into other software, and have only done a little copy/past of code via ssh. What would be options or would be involved with using something like Gentoo, or anything else that might provide a bumb in sq? Hoping for something that could still be controlled via phone app if possible. was even looking into ways to even go without an OS straight with upnp - or at least I think I saw that as a possibility.

For Gentoo after a flash - heavy install and config or pretty straightforward? Could it be managed with an app?

Other configurations ans setup options to consider?

Thanks in advance and learning as I go!

Great advice,

I've gotten a pack of SD's on hand, wasn't looking to lose that preload! Good reminder to take it slow and not go crazy. Let things settle in and listen. I was just curious for down the road, to maybe learn/tinker. Which may just be flirting with disaster, entering the rabbit hole.

@sch8mid

VitOS looks interesting. I’ve only ever used Volumio but desire trying another OS for comparison - learn a little more about options. Also want to try/learn using Gentoo. 

Reading about VitOS, looks like it has a controller app available. Dumb question…seems to be optimized for sending through usb to dac. But from what I reward in your post, I’m assuming it can it be configured to send digital stream through other outputs and reserve the usb for attaching storage? 

Lastly, does it require Roon or can it operate/render without? 

Thanks, and pardon my noobiness 🙏🏼

That’s great to know, thank you! Was already planning to stream Qobuz, but wanted to also get things going with my current ssd external storage by plugging into one of the USB ports. 

But ultimately I do want to purchase a ssd NVMW drive  and install for better results. New at that side of things, but looking forward to that next level of implementation. Will attempt what you’ve suggested here as well. 

🙏🏼👍🏼

I too am curious about options/optimization for the sake of increased fidelity. Learning all this is also fun - to a point. I seems also quite time resource dependent, considering that even with Volumio some research and involvement on workarounds, improvements and little hacks is required.

• 2 weeks later...

@Egill23

I imagine many who are new at this (myself included) will be very grateful for what you’ve suggested. I appreciate what you’ve explained in your process - and thanks to so many here that have taken the time to describe their systems  with the Mercury. Or -in any case- different manner in which to setup software, storage and a home music network. 

I’ve only either just plugged my allo digione straight into the Xfinity box or used wifi for streaming and using storage plugged into the usb powers of the rpi. Only ever used Volumio. Very curious about the difference an ethergen would make. Also a NAS. But do not have an Ethernet socket in my listening room (we’ve moved). Wondering how that could still involve a combination of wifi and cable. Possibly an extender to the ethergen? Another simpleton question…is that partly the way a merkari switch would work (wifi)? Outside of being a hub for devices. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my Mercury...

Outstanding SQ! Makes my allo digione seem like a toy radio by comparison. Simply using Volumio. Haven't been able to get away from my system all day (nirvana).

Now, have an issue already. Not a big one, but hoping some of you here can help with this. Running coax to my Topping D70s works just fine. But trying I2S connection is not playing anything. I am getting the typical sign (bit rate display) screen change when I hit play to indicate that it's receiving data , just no sound.

D70s has about six different pin-out settings within it's internal settings menu, but requires a combination of two possible choices/selections within three different areas in the menu. Not sure if I've tried every single combination, I'll need to go back and track them with a piece of paper and pencil - which is ridiculous to have to do but I really would like to hear the I2s option. And yes, I'm plugging the hdmi cable into each corresponding I2s socket (both on mercury and dac).

Is there something I need to change in Volumio? Could this have something to do with the DAC selection in the settings menu of Volumio? THe default was hifiberry + dac (I think). Left it there as the instructions for the Mercury explained not changing this during setup.

Or, does someone here have a D70s running i2s and have insight on which combination I need to select for the Mercury?

Perplexing, as I can see it's getting data when starting a track.

Thanks ahead of time!

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

That’s a completely different issue having to do with Topping’s I2S pin assignments versus Mercury. That person was having trouble even getting PCM to work.
No relationship to doing DSD (set to DoP) from I2S of Mercury into a DSD DAC—in my case Holo Spring L3 working perfectly.  I now run GentooPlayer (superior sound—with real-time kernel and everything loaded into RAM) but I think I still have a microSD card with Volumio on it. Maybe if I have time this week I’ll boot that and run DSD (over DoP) and take a picture for you.

@Superdad

Thank you, that would be helpful 🙏🏼

I’ve currently got the setting on DSD direct, also using the default “dac” setting Michael said we should leave alone (Pi2design website). 

I’ll try it on the DSD over PCM, but that seems somewhat counterintuitive? Syntax 🙄. Hope that will help, but am encouraged that you say the issue on that other thread was about receiving PCM altogether. I am actually getting a signal via I2s (hdmi), just no sound. 

E53232F5-8833-43B8-9C2C-B9C293B16076.png

24D1C92D-27B1-4DE9-BD46-830C242851F6.png

@Superdad

@sch8mid

Still trying different pinout option in my D70s. Also tried changing to DoP to no avail. Shouldn’t matter as Volumio converts to PCM? Or no? 

Reading forward on that SBAF chat about D70s, thinking this might have been a problem with the the pinout options not working with the Mercury. The same guy with the problem later had to purchase an hdmi connector with adjustable wiring for pinouts, wiring in a manner that (I think) muted one of the pins. 
Michael then explained about a Mercury v2 he’s working on that will allow adjustability in the pinout config for I2S input, helping it work with a wider variety of dacs. Hoping upon hope I land on the right combination of settings here, and really hope I don’t need to send back the Mercury and wait - or get a different dac. 

I2s was one of the main reasons for my getting the Mercury? But maybe it’s not such a big difference than coax 🙏🏼

In the case of my dac…

Contacted Michael.  My dac (Topping D70s) does not have an option for the pinout for the Mercury. He explained it was non standard. Which is a bit confusing, as I was under the impression that pinout config wasn’t exactly standardized? Maybe not standard for PS Audio pinout. 

I asked if he was planning on a v2 that options silent pinout settings, didn’t answer thot one (yet). 

Not a dealbreaker, sounds amazing via coax as it is, just that I had plans to use I2s for streaming and storage, and coax for a cd transport etc. etc. Eould also be nice to hear the difference. 

So…

If any/all of you wouldn’t mind listing specific dacs you know will work -as is it with limited adjustment- with the I2s out of the Mercury? That would be really great. For future reference 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

PS 

Michael was adamant about making sure to stick with the Hifiberry Digi+ Pro dac setting I Volumio. Might want to stick with it. 

Michael got back again concerning my query about a v2…

He said he’s working on a second version of the Mercury that will allow programmability on the I2s port, including driving the extra pins high or low. Helping it accommodate more dacs. 

They wouldn’t be ready for orders/shipping until Oct/Nov. 

Still deciding on getting one of those, or dropping the $$$$ on a Musician Audio or Denafrips. 

16 hours ago, tjmski said:

My Musician Audio Pegasus worked out of the gate with I2S. So many recordings sound so much better. I am not so compelled to seek out just my favorite audiophile recordings. Instead I have had so much fun exploring with Roon/Qobuz/Tidal/My Library. So much now sounds so good.

That’s wonderful to know…

Im already getting that same result with pretty well everything I call up on Qobuz via Volumio premium. Even with what I’ve stored on a silly usb drive is more engaging that I’d ever imagined. 

Ive eyeballed the Pegasus on many occasions, had settled on the D70s - which sounds REALLY great. But Pegasus seems a total winner for the $. 
Are you using xlr output or rca? Any noticeable differences there? Just asking as I’m trying to decide between preamps with balanced or single ended inputs 🙏🏼

2 hours ago, tjmski said:

My preamp is an oldie but goodie, Ayre K3. I’ve only used balanced xlr for my DAC and turntable. I don’t want to hijack this thread on a preamp discussion though.

Understand,

Got ahead of myself! Apologies for getting off topic…

And thank you 🙏🏼 

Has anyone here tried Archimago’s optimizations for rpi with the Mercury? Quiets things down in the processing (I think). Worked really well with my digione. Code copied into the OS via SSH.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/volumio-streamer-configuration-tips.11017/

I imagine it would still function being that Mercury is rpi4 based. But might not be worth it, considering how MUCH better Mercury sounds already. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I’ve had my Mercury for a good little while. Just astounded  by the overall improvements in sq over my Allo Digione. Now also noticing how much more nuanced, cleaner and detailed the tracks I play on my usb stick are compared to streaming - even though streaming is still way more impressive than before the Mercury. So not totally bothered by it. 

However, wanted to ask if anyone here has compares wifi to using an Ethernet cable? I haven’t a way to connect straight to modem, but do have an extender in my listening room. Would like to connect a cable from it to the Mercury, but something about rpi’s do something weird this way (starts displaying text as “COMMON” and just stops responding altogether. 

I’ve heard others not having issues with using a cheap TP link extender with an Ethernet cable, so I ordered one hoping/assuming that using an extender with an outboard supply will not give me these issues. Fingers crossed.

Regardless, would love to know what solutions and improvements anyone here has found connecting to an extender, equipment, incorporating an EtherGen, if a Melco switch helps, or simply using a cheap extender plus a decent cable, etc. 🙏🏼

15 hours ago, zackthedog said:

In terms of substitute ethernet connections, I've had good results with the Netgear Powerline 2000 adapters.  I didn't try them with the Mercury, but they work very well with my wife's Blu-Ray ethernet player in her "den."  I don't see why they wouldn't work with the Mercury.  The TP-Link AV2000 gets very good reviews as well.

For cleaning up the ethernet, I've had good results with the DXE-ISO-PLUS ethernet filters.  They really do make a difference, for a relative pittance:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-iso-plus-2

I use *only one* at the renderer end, and they are directional--the label should point toward the device.  Using two in the line doesn't sound as good.  These are a great bargain, IMO.

@zackthedog

Thanks for this, great suggestions! I’ll definitely try the dxe-iso device once I can get around the extender causing the rpi to go weird. That power line adapter also seems super cool.