IGNORED

How Can I Stream Tidal (and/or Quobuz) On My Samsung Phone?

I'm trying to put together a means of listening to music of reasonably high quality while doing my four time a week power walking in the pool sessions. Through the help of a kind new member here, I now know what water resistant Bluet5ooth 5.0 earbuds to use. My Samsung phone is Bluetooth 5.0 compatible. Now I just need to know what is necessary to stream Tidal, and hopefully also Quobuz, from the phone to the earbuds. My initial research online is confusing, in some cases, they say you must add a dac to the phone, in others, they don't mention a DAC, but it is still less than clear. 

I thought I would right to where the expertise exists to get this question answered. Thanks for any assistance.

JC

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

So is the app all ones needs to stream Tidal, and/or Qobuz, not an external DAC, or other things? 

You can download Tidal app for phone or Qobuz app for phone. Each of this apps can be used for corresponding services. I am using Qobuz app on my iphone for listening Qobuz through connected earphones. Pretty sure bluetooth connection will work as well. Both Tidal and Qobuz should have apps for both iphone and android phones.

Turns out that despite a vastly different distance that Bluetooth 5.0 is rated for, actual wireless headphones/earbuds only function up to 33 feet. The pool I power walk laps in is 75 feet long. It appears there are no actual options for me. :( 

Really disappointing, because that's over four hours a week of listening I am missing out on, not to mention the boredom of simply walking in silence for an hour with no audio entertainment. Unfortunate. 

Headphone Range Comparison Table - Bluetooth 5.0

here’s a quick comparison table of the most popular headphones on the market currently.

Headphones Wireless Range
Sony WH-1000XM4 10 meters (33 ft)
Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 10 meters (33f)
QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones II 9 meters (30 ft)
Philips PH805 10 meters (33ft)
Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless 10 meters (33 ft)
AKG N60NC Wireless 10 meters (33 ft)
JBL Tune 750BTNC 10 meters (33 ft)

9 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Turns out that despite a vastly different distance that Bluetooth 5.0 is rated for, actual wireless headphones/earbuds only function up to 33 feet. The pool I power walk laps in is 75 feet long. It appears there are no actual options for me. :( 

Really disappointing, because that's over four hours a week of listening I am missing out on, not to mention the boredom of simply walking in silence for an hour with no audio entertainment. Unfortunate. 

Headphone Range Comparison Table - Bluetooth 5.0

here’s a quick comparison table of the most popular headphones on the market currently.

Headphones Wireless Range
Sony WH-1000XM4 10 meters (33 ft)
Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 10 meters (33f)
QuietComfort 35 wireless headphones II 9 meters (30 ft)
Philips PH805 10 meters (33ft)
Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless 10 meters (33 ft)
AKG N60NC Wireless 10 meters (33 ft)
JBL Tune 750BTNC 10 meters (33 ft)

The iPhone can be placed in a waterproof case. Or, strategically placed near the middle of a 75 foot (38+38 foot) distance. Or you could try to boost the signal. Or, go not all the way through the pool, but halfway through and back and do more short cycles.

I appreciate the recommendations. I did think about a waterproof case. But then the issue is that I have nowhere to put the case and phone. I'm only wearing a swim suit and water shoes. 

There are areas at the end of the pool to place a phone, etc. but not on the sides, unfortunately. 

The halfway and back strategy could work, but I am generally pacing myself by competing against swimmers in the other lanes, and that would be problematic. 

Still, I am very grateful for your thoughts on the matter. 

JC

1 hour ago, TubeLover said:

I appreciate the recommendations. I did think about a waterproof case. But then the issue is that I have nowhere to put the case and phone. I'm only wearing a swim suit and water shoes. 

There are areas at the end of the pool to place a phone, etc. but not on the sides, unfortunately. 

The halfway and back strategy could work, but I am generally pacing myself by competing against swimmers in the other lanes, and that would be problematic. 

Still, I am very grateful for your thoughts on the matter. 

JC

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-boost-your-bluetooth-signal-to-cover-your-entire-home-or-office/