IGNORED

Problem playing any Qobuz playlist.

I’m new to the forum and posting out of desperation as I’m told that I am the only person in the world that has this Qobuz problem. 

When playing a Qobuz playlist, either one that I have created or a Qobuz playlist, I intermittently will hear a micro-burst of static when transitioning to the next song in the playlist and the music will stop. When this happens, I appear to lose the digital handshake between my Melco N1Zh/2 server and my Lampazator Amber 3 DAC although my Melco Music HD app shows that the next track is playing and my Melco server shows the next track playing on the front screen. Just no music.  I must then power off and then on either the Melco server or the Amber 3 DAC to re-establish the digital handshake, close out the Melco Music HD app on my iPad and reopen it. I can then go to the playlist I was listening to and start playing it again. It may play for several hours or only two or three songs and then quit again. It never quits in the middle of a song, only when going to the next track. This happens anytime of the day or night and on every playlist.

I’ve tried different control apps including Mconnect and Linn Kazoo. Same thing happens. I’ve tried 3 different iPads. It happened on all three. I have switched to a different router. Same thing happens. (MY Melco server is hardwired directly to my router.) I borrowed a friends Schiit Yggy DAC. Same thing happens. 

Does anyone out there have any idea what is happening?

A stab in the dark here but when it stops, has the bit rate or sample rate changed. 

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

It may be worth trying TIDAL anyway, or even your own music files, as it may be a general (hardware?) problem with your Melco's internal player rather than have anything to to do specifically with Qobuz.

Have you tried disabling the gapless playback support on the mconnect Player controller app (by switching off the Gapless to Renderer setting)?

The Melco has to pull in the next track while the current one is still playing in order to cue it for gapless playback, so stresses its hardware more than if gapless playback support wasn't being implemented. The burst of static could be an indication that the fetch & decode the beginning of the next track for gapless process failed for some reason.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thank you for your reply. Playlists that I have on myMelco’s internal memory playback flawlessly. The problem only occurs when streaming. Thanks for your tip on switching off gapless playback on the Mconnect Player app. I typically use Melco Music Hd but I’ll go back to Mconnect and try that. Where on the Mconnect Player app do I go to switch off the gapless playback?

8 hours ago, Terry490 said:

I’m new to the forum and posting out of desperation as I’m told that I am the only person in the world that has this Qobuz problem. 

When playing a Qobuz playlist, either one that I have created or a Qobuz playlist, I intermittently will hear a micro-burst of static when transitioning to the next song in the playlist and the music will stop. When this happens, I appear to lose the digital handshake between my Melco N1Zh/2 server and my Lampazator Amber 3 DAC although my Melco Music HD app shows that the next track is playing and my Melco server shows the next track playing on the front screen. Just no music.  I must then power off and then on either the Melco server or the Amber 3 DAC to re-establish the digital handshake, close out the Melco Music HD app on my iPad and reopen it. I can then go to the playlist I was listening to and start playing it again. It may play for several hours or only two or three songs and then quit again. It never quits in the middle of a song, only when going to the next track. This happens anytime of the day or night and on every playlist.

I’ve tried different control apps including Mconnect and Linn Kazoo. Same thing happens. I’ve tried 3 different iPads. It happened on all three. I have switched to a different router. Same thing happens. (MY Melco server is hardwired directly to my router.) I borrowed a friends Schiit Yggy DAC. Same thing happens. 

Does anyone out there have any idea what is happening?

In the FWIW column I get this exact problem  randomly (lost connection to DAC) when the USB out PC power source is marginal for amperage. Throttling max CPU speed for the USB out computer usually fixed this or using a higher current DC power supply if the USB out device was DC powered.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

21 hours ago, Terry490 said:

Thank you for your reply. Playlists that I have on myMelco’s internal memory playback flawlessly. The problem only occurs when streaming.

Yes, sorry I meant network stream your own files - it's likely that for efficiency the Melco's internal UPnP/DLNA media server (ie, Twonky, or optionally MinimServer) network addresses for the files get redirected to allow the files to be played directly from the Melco's storage drive(s) & so its player actually avoids streaming the files from its own UPnP/DLNA media server (via the Melco's internal network stack).

So it'll mean setting up another UPnP/DLNA media server (eg the free version of MinimServer) on a computer with a copy of some those files, to test streaming them over the network from and seeing if you get the same problem.

4 hours ago, Terry490 said:

Switching to the Mconnect HD app and turning off gapless playback to renderer did the trick. My playlists now play flawlessly without quitting.

Ok, progress - excellent! Remember this is a workaround and you have lost gapless playback support. The next thing to test is to see if it's a gapless playback problem with the Melco's player network streaming in general or if it's just a problem with it streaming from Qobuz.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox