IGNORED

Best Ethernet Cards for Streaming

1 minute ago, TomJ said:

Please read, what I wrote. The PHY for copper is mostly integrated in the ethernet chipset of the nic. So for fiber you need an extra active component on the NIC.

Not necessarily—and not typically. SFP/SFP+ cages are simply two differential pairs (one transmit, one receive) and Ethernet signaling to them is SGMII. Many NIC chips that have built-in PHYs also have an SGMII port—which could be directly connected to the SFP cage.
[Due to my firm’s focus on switches I admit much greater familiarity with the port/topology options of switch chips/transceivers for such than with NIC chipset options.]

23 minutes ago, One and a half said:

You may also have a look at the connector from Halo in the DXE Filter. This is a combo transformer and CM choke in the one package, probably very common.... DX Engineering have two of these back to back, and a pair of (dual) filters is very effective in removing induced noise along a CATx cable. The DXE does not claim HV isolation, only for filtering.

Of course very high frequency AC leakage (say from SMPS somewhere in the system) sails right on through all these devices... 9_9

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/16/2022 at 2:25 AM, Markus8 said:

Many are eagerly awaiting any findings, insights that could be helpful to the overall HiFi community. Could you give as a short update if @TomJhas received/is working with you on that?

I know.  I’m traveling on a 3-week vacation this month and @JohnSwenson is still hard at work on the 3 test boards for EtherREGEN Gen2–and I am loath to distract him from that. Still, we have several times discussed providing at least some of the promised input soon. We really appreciate everyone’s patience in this. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/23/2022 at 1:07 AM, TomJ said:

Hi Markus,
After I had a really open and friendly exchange with @Superdad, it has unfortunately currently become somewhat quiet. I have no idea whether this is due to her current workload or whether they have changed their mind and does not want to give any assistance. If that were the case, I would find it a great pity, because the conversation was very promising not only for me, but also for many silent readers of the threads.
The intension of my investigations is not audiophile snake oil bashing and I would be really happy if manufacturers also engage here to get some light in the dark regarding their products. But if this is not the case, I will continue based on my own findings. However, it would not be pleasant if this then degenerates into a justification discussion as it progresses. Currently would be really a good time to enter the discussion.

Regards,

Eric

Hi Eric:

Sorry for the long delay. I just now sent you a lengthy PM with some explanation of the situation and some ideas for proceeding in a positive direction.

We shall continue privately for a bit--and perhaps you will find from the exchanges some worthwhile paths to share on your forum(s) or on this one.

Thanks,

--Alex C.

• 11 months later...