IGNORED

Basic Infrastructure Questions

I'm a digital newbie and trying to build some infrastructure to feed a streamer.  I have my cable modem (Comcast) in an office about 50-60ft from my equipment rack.  I want to run a couple of ethernet cables in the crawl space from the office to the rack.  I have a generic switch in the office.  On the rack side, my plan would be to install an EtherREGEN (or similar) and then feed an Aurender streamer that would be about 10ft from the EtherREGEN.  My question is should I run a generic CAT6 cable under the house or some kind of optical cable?  I was planning to use pre-terminated cable and was told to stay away from the shielded terminated to metal in the connectors as that can transmit noise from the source equipment.  What would be the ideal setup for this application?  Should I use Cat6 or fiber for the 60 ft run?  Any pre-terminated cable recommendations?  I could probably make 50ft work.

Thanks

@Delkat I have runs of ethernet and fiber across a 35' run/down a level. You will find proponents of each: copper and fiber.

I am in an urban environment with a lot of commercial and residential wifi and rf sources, so I have preferred the fiber.

In fact, I have FTTH and audio on a dedicated fiber line. I have about 2-3 feet of copper in my network.

Either option would work. If you're doing the pull, and it fits the budget...why not pull both? Fiber is pretty cheap. I actually pulled single-mode and double-mode fiber, Cat6 and a high-zoot cryo-ed/unshielded ethernet so I could test. 

Metal connectors should be OK but not if connected to a shielded cable that then ties all your devices together, potentially creating issues. Floating shield or no shield also has it fans.

If you search, there are threads on the fiber support, if you run into issues. Compatibility likely being the main one: Fiber wavelength and SFPs at either end need to be consistent in wavelength/type. Good Luck!

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

Thanks for the feedback!  That's pretty much the conclusion I came to.  While I'm crawling around in the dirt, I might as well run both fiber and Cat 6.  You never know what the future may hold. 

I believe I want to use OM1 LC LC 62.5/125 type fiber which should work with the SFPs compatible with EtherREGEN, OpticalRendu, etc.  I found a 75ft length of basic non-shielded ethernet cable on Amazon that should work.  I'm in a residential neighborhood so not too much RF close to me.

Thanks

@Delkat that will be Multi-Mode fiber, IIRC...which is fine. Many folks have moved to Single Mode fiber, which is typically for very long distances, but some find they prefer for audio.

The caveat is: don't mix single mode stuff with multimode. 

There are some fiber honchos around here, so if you get into a fix or need more tech support, hit one of the networking threads for more response from pros/honchos. 

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

40 minutes ago, MarkusBarkus said:

@Delkat that will be Multi-Mode fiber, IIRC...which is fine. Many folks have moved to Single Mode fiber, which is typically for very long distances, but some find they prefer for audio.

The caveat is: don't mix single mode stuff with multimode. 

There are some fiber honchos around here, so if you get into a fix or need more tech support, hit one of the networking threads for more response from pros/honchos. 

This is good advise.

I started with multi-mode fiber and stuck with it although as @MarkusBarkus mentioned, some people have found single-mode to be "better".

If you decide to go with multi-mode and going to trouble of crawling around under your house, I would suggest using OM3 fiber cable which will work with SFP (1Gbe) and SFP+ (10Gbe) modules. There are several inexpensive 10 Gbe switches being offered these days (e.g. Mikrotik CSS610-8G-2S+IN). Obviously, 10 Gbe is overkill for most home networks but it does offer some advantages for audio networks with regards to preventing jitter from propagating downstream ... there is a large optical network thread here on AS if interested. In any case, using OM3 cable will provide some future proof of your network.

As for Ethernet cable, I would suggest using Blue Jeans Cable Cat6. If you go to Cat6A, it is larger diameter and much less flexible. You can order the exact length and color and is reasonable priced. They also test each cable and provide you with the report.

9 hours ago, ericuco said:

This is good advise.

I started with multi-mode fiber and stuck with it although as @MarkusBarkus mentioned, some people have found single-mode to be "better".

If you decide to go with multi-mode and going to trouble of crawling around under your house, I would suggest using OM3 fiber cable which will work with SFP (1Gbe) and SFP+ (10Gbe) modules. There are several inexpensive 10 Gbe switches being offered these days (e.g. Mikrotik CSS610-8G-2S+IN). Obviously, 10 Gbe is overkill for most home networks but it does offer some advantages for audio networks with regards to preventing jitter from propagating downstream ... there is a large optical network thread here on AS if interested. In any case, using OM3 cable will provide some future proof of your network.

As for Ethernet cable, I would suggest using Blue Jeans Cable Cat6. If you go to Cat6A, it is larger diameter and much less flexible. You can order the exact length and color and is reasonable priced. They also test each cable and provide you with the report.

How hard is it to set up the Mikrotik switch?

If I run the single mode OS2 cable, will it work with SFP transceivers as well as the SFP+ (10G) transceivers?  I'm not sure the EtherREGEN and similar product support the 10G standard.  I assume I can run the 1G SFPs in the Mikrotik and EtherREGEN and use the OS2 for cable, right?

11 minutes ago, Delkat said:

If I run the single mode OS2 cable, will it work with SFP transceivers as well as the SFP+ (10G) transceivers?

Yes, (with correct transceivers). 

I'm not sure the EtherREGEN and similar product support the 10G standard.

No audio device does. (Present)

I assume I can run the 1G SFPs in the Mikrotik and EtherREGEN and use the OS2 for cable, right?

Yes, that’s what many does. Even 10GB modules in single mode at EtherRegen side works well. 

19 minutes ago, Delkat said:

If I run the single mode OS2 cable, will it work with SFP transceivers as well as the SFP+ (10G) transceivers?  I'm not sure the EtherREGEN and similar product support the 10G standard.  I assume I can run the 1G SFPs in the Mikrotik and EtherREGEN and use the OS2 for cable, right?

SFP+ ports like what are used the Mikrotik are backward compatible, by spec, for use with SFP modules.  I use a mix of SFP+ and SFP modules in both of my Mikrotik switches without any problems.

Generally, the issue with fiber is getting modules that will work with your equipment. For instance, Cisco switches are only guaranteed to work with Cisco branded modules. That said, it a gray area because Finisar makes modules for many of the OEM’s like Cisco. If you decide to go with fiber, we can suggest modules that are known to work, generally Finisar modules. eBay is good resource for obtaining modules.

I can't seem to find any physical specs on the size of the OM3/OS2 connectors.  I plan to purchase the cable pre-terminated and I need to know how big of a hole to drill through the wall plates.  I read somewhere 25mm = ~1" will be big enough.  Anyone have a connector they can measure?

Thanks

6 hours ago, Delkat said:

I can't seem to find any physical specs on the size of the OM3/OS2 connectors.  I plan to purchase the cable pre-terminated and I need to know how big of a hole to drill through the wall plates.  I read somewhere 25mm = ~1" will be big enough.  Anyone have a connector they can measure?

Thanks

I gave you exactly measurements in the attached data sheets. 

7 hours ago, Delkat said:

Thanks for this link.  I assume this is the transceiver that is proven to work with the EtherREGEN mentioned above, right?

Thanks

Yes. You ought to find the 1421 cheap on eBay. Search “finisar1421”..

Cables is reasonable on eBay to. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40m-LC-UPC-to-LC-UPC-Duplex-Single-Mode-PVC-3-0mm-Fiber-Optic-Patch-Cord-Cable-/174918377715?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

• 2 weeks later...

Got the cables run and the Mikrotik switch showed up today.  

I’m not finding a source for the Finisar 1421 referenced above. All I can find on eBay are these:

FTLF1421P1BTL-NN

But, if I search for the BTL-NN, nothing comes up. 

Not sure what the difference is with the BTL-NN compared to the P1xTL.