IGNORED

T+A DAC 200

15 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Hey @OE333 Ive been trying codes on the PDF you linked to but of all the codes Ive tried so far, only a POWER/TOGGLE command seems to work (for me).

I also tried learning the non-discrete codes from the DAC200's remote but am having difficulty getting both my Logitech Harmony Elite and my new Unfolded Circle Remote Two to learn and recognize the commands. Any ideas? Is the FM200 remote a hybrid of some kind?

Probably the most required codes I need would be discrete POWER ON, discrete POWER OFF, discrete USB input and discrete SPDIF 1 (COAX).

Here a few hints:

As far as I know the Logitech remotes support T+A devices. On the Logitech compatibility site the DAC200 is not yet listed, but you can find some other T+A devices like PA-1200R and DAC 8. The IR commands for all T+A devices are the same - so the Logitech codes for DAC8 and PA-1200R should also work for DAC200.

If that doesn't work, I would recommend to contact Logitech directly. Logitech could then contact T+A for assistance bringing the T+A codes to the Logitech IR code data base.

Learning remotes:

Most IR remotes send one specific IR telegram for a button press and repeat this command at a certain rate (normally every 100ms or so).

The T+A telegrams are a bit more complex. They consist of a START command, a specific button command (which is repeated every 120ms as long as the button is pressed) and after releasing the button an END-command.

Start and end commands are there to make the remote operation quicker and more responsive - for example the motorized volume potentiometers of T+A amps will immediately stop turning when the Volume-button is released. Without the STOP command the pot would keep on turning until the IR receiver detects that no more IR telegrams arrive which lasts 100...200ms and during this time the motor-pot would continue to turn and create a little "overshoot".

Unfortunately many remotes have problems to learn such more complex IR telegrams - they normally can only learn simple IR telegrams consisting of only one single repeated code.

Fortunately the START and STOP commands are not necessarily required. The T+A devices will work even when Start & Stop commands are missing. Learning the T+A codes without Start & Stop codes will normally work with all learning remotes. To capture the T+A IR telegrams without start & stop codes you can proceed as follows:

1.) start the learning process on the learning remote

2.) cover the T+A IR transmitter (at the front of the T+A remote) with one hand

3.) now press the button to be learnt on the T+A remote control (IR transmitter still covered)

4.) after a short time (one second or so) quickly remove your hand from the T+A IR transmitter

5.) the learning remote will now only "see" the repeated button commands (the start code was sent when the IR transmitter was still covered)

6.) release the button on the T+A remote when the learning remote control  signals that the code was correctly captured

Repeat the above process for all buttons that you need.

Note:

Sometimes it can happen, that the hand is removed just in the middle of a IR telegram. In such a case the learning process might not be successful. So when the learned code for a button does not work, just try the process above again - the chance to remove the hand just during a transmission is not very likely, because the length of the IR telegram is 10 times shorter than the pauses in between the telegrams. So the chance of removing the hand at the "wrong" time is just 1:10

T+A Fellow   (Head of R&D @ T+A 1989-2021)

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

2 hours ago, Hydrology said:

Many thanks @OE333 for all your help - I will go through your suggestions and report back!

Completely unrelated question, but about the 200 series as a whole - are the isolation feet on the underside of the units simply unscrewable? I know they twist with a gentle nudge and I have some other isolation footers I would like to try in their place, but I know sometimes with footers on equipment unscrewing them sometimes means a nut or washer comes undone inside the cabinet which I dont want to happen. Just thought I would check before proceeding...cheers!

Mark

The screws for the feet are screwed into threads in the bottom plate from the inside of the case.

If the feet are unscrewed, the screws will protrude from the bottom side as studs.

There is a certain chance that the screws might become loose when unscrewing (or even more when re-fitting) the feet.

If these screws loosen, they might touch the circuit board and cause short circuits.

Especially the screw at the rear left (close to the mains socket) might cause a short between live mains and the case.

So my strong advice: don't touch the feet - or if you really want to, open the case to check on the inside that no shorts exist before connecting the device to mains again.

(*) My postings represent my private and personal opinion and hopefully are helpful to the members of this forum

T+A MP200 | T+A DAC200 | T+A A200 | T+A Talis S300 | DAW: Core i7 8700K - Linux 5.4.0 - Roonserver + HQP | NAA on RockPiE (RK3328)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Woolf,

yes, you will need USB for DSD256 from your streamer.

For the CD player I would recommend BNC or AES/EBU. Which of both sounds better, also depends on the player. So maybe try both and decide which is better.

9 hours ago, russellbobby said:

Sorry I havent read all 29 pages , but will the optional HDMI card pass SACD / DSD from an OPPO player?  I assume the answer is no but it would be a great feature if available.

Thanks

The DAC200 fully supports SACD/DSD via its (optional) HDMI inputs.  

I found this statement from OPPO:

If your A/V receiver or audio processor supports native DSD, your OPPO player can send DSD signal over HDMI to the A/V receiver or audio processor.

According to this there should be no problem.

1 hour ago, davidv100 said:

Hello,
I am a bit puzzled about what exactly is Dolby Atmos and Apple Spatial Audio.
How does this translate in bits and bit rate : Is this 24/192 or is there no link ?
Are these formats supported by DAC200 ?

I understand at least one thing : when listening to Apple Spatial Audio thru my DAC200 and Hifiman HE1000 V3 headphone, the sound will obviously not change direction when I turn my head. But even more obviously, I do not care at all about that.

So, my question is only about the sound quality :
1) what are these formats exactly ?
2) are they supported by DAC200 ?

Thank you very much

David  

Dolby Atmos / Apple Spacial Audio are multichannel formats.

You will need a multichannel Audio Processor to use such formats.

DAC200 is a stereo 2-channel DAC. It does not support multichannel playback.

@DonaldM:

The DAC200 is supported as native DSD sink in all Linux kernels 5.x and higher. I don't know which kernel version ifi is using in their streamers, but if they use an older kernel, then this kernel needs to be patched to work with DAC200.

If you have a contact person at ifi you can send me the contact information via PM. I will then try to contact ifi to check if this problem can be solved.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, camott said:

Great news. Did T+A ever release a ready-to-go USB -> E2Link  programming adaptor to update firmware? Can't find it on the webshop. I can build my own but happy to spend a few more dollars to get a prebuilt one ... 

... it should be on the web-shop :confused:.   --  I will ask my colleagues to check why it is not there.

For the time being you can contact the T+A service dept. [e-service(at)ta-hifi.com] they will be able to give you more details on price and delivery options.

22 hours ago, camott said:

what is the gain of the preamp section? I notice that when I switch to line out and use an external line stage with unity gain I have much less headroom. So just curious - can’t find gain number in any specs …

At volume setting "0" the gain for RCA in --> RCA out is 13.5 dB (= factor 4.73)

Gain for RCA --> XLR is 19.5 dB (factor 9.46)

At VOLume= -13  the RCA/RCA gain is almost zero (+0.5dB to be exact).

@camott:

My plan is to have the volume setting fixed @ -13  In HT Pass-Through mode  - so the overall gain of the DAC200 will be close to zero.

An other option would be to make the HTPT gain adjustable - but maybe this would be too much...

I see the danger that the HTPT volume in the DAC200 might get altered accidentally causing the front channels to be out of balance with the other channels.

For this reason I currently tend to have a fixed HTPT volume setting --- or do you see any reason to have it variable ?

12 hours ago, ericuco said:

If you are looking for a cable to upgrade DAC firmware, I made one a few years ago and was able to successfully do upgrade. PM me if you want to borrow my cable.

I guess your cable was made for a DAC8DSD ?

Please note that the DAC8DSD cable will not fit the DAC200.

The DAC8DSD had a RJ12 connector, the DAC200 programming input is RJ45.

14 hours ago, camott said:

Can't the pass-through mode effectively use the same path as when "line" is selected for pre output? which I assume bypasses the preamp stage entirely? or maybe "line" bypass is not available for RCA/analog input?

To bypass the pre amp for analog input signals is not possible. We need the pre-amo to generate a balanced signal for the XLR output from the unbalanced RCA input. This is why the pre-amp stage is always in the signal path for the RCA input.

15 hours ago, camott said:

I think it should be fixed at 0 gain, ideally passing preamp altogether as per above. All AV receivers have per channel balance/volume offset control. Adding that ability to the DAC200 will just complicate things imo.

Yes, I also think to make it as simple as possible with a fixed 0dB gain for HTPT mode.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, camott said:

Hi,

Any progress/news on this front? I was able to build my own E-Link programming cable, all with parts from Amazon prime, and verify connectivity with the E_Link_UpdateTool so eagerly awaiting your extended firmware update on GitHub!

(Side note - I initially tried running the tool via a windows VM but it only successfully connected on 1 of every 5 or so attempts. Not sure why exactly but not surprising).

Hi @camott,

sorry that the new FW is not on Github yet, but I caught a bronchitis and was not feeling well during the last days - so I was not able to finish and upload the FW.  But it will be available within the coming days - promised.

The reason why the tool will not run reliably on a VM is that communicating with the DAC200 is extremely time-critical.

The tool mimics the T+A E-Link bus communication, which is similar to, but not identical to RS232. Some timings must be precise with a very small tolerance of only a few microseconds. This is not possible with a relatively slow and not just true real-time capable VM. This is by the way the reason why only some specific USB -> RS232 converters will function properly.

... and congrats to your self made programming cable. If it finishes the tool's connection check without errors, everything is good and programming should work without problems.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2024 at 5:06 PM, AlwaysListening said:

I doubt I'm alone in my appreciation for the time you take to post such detailed information to the forum - thank you.

As I edge closer to retirement and plan my final audio system, a source with pre-amp capability connected to active speakers is my firm preference. The DAC 200 would be top of the list if there was volume control via Roon.

While I understand the current T+A firmware situation, I simply don't want a return to juggling a tablet and device remote while listening to music.

Volume control via roon should be possible.

I will have a closer look at this.

I wonder if there are more users out there who would like to see this implemented ???

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 4:36 PM, Woolf said:

Exactly, the filter settings work, afaik, on all files but not on DSD.

#Very well answered by @Woolf

The Filters in DAC200 are only applied to PCM streams.

DSD always goes directly to the converter stages.