IGNORED

Windows 10 Speaker Properties

audiobomber

Question

When I play music from my Dell laptop via USB, the sample rate and bit depth are fixed at whatever default sample and bit rate I've selected. Choices are the common values from 16 bit/44.1kHz to 32 bit/192kHz. My other systems send music to the DAC in its original format. Is there any way to force Windows to do the same? (I don't care about DSD.)

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

12 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I just changed DAC, from the Modius to the iFi iOne, because the Modius does not show sample rate. I have the proprietary iFi driver, but the behaviour has not changed in Windows. Whatever sample rate I've selected in the Windows Sound Panel is what the DAC is seeing, regardless of recorded rate.

There is no solution to this one as the browser will only send audio to the default audio device, routed through the operating system, and out to the DAC at whatever rate is set in the Sound control panel. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

47 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

I use WIn10 only with dedicated DAC USB drivers, like Ifi/Thesycon/Amareno., on which JRIVER or Roon are working flawlessly.
Do you have them installed for your DACs on your DELL?
Best of lucks, DT

I am currently using the Schiit Modius DAC with the Windows laptop. I am not aware of a proprietary driver for this DAC. I have drivers for iFi Audio and Korg loaded, but I don't think they are available without a DAC. from the same manufacturer.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

46 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It’s up to the application playing the music. Which app are you using?

I use QNAP Music Station for my own FLAC files and the YouTubeMusic app from the internet, which is AAC. I may change when Spotify goes to CD quality. 

AFAIK, YouTube only plays at 48kHz, not sure about bit rate. Music Station plays the original format though my main system with exaSound Playpoint and DAC and my secondary SOtM/iFi system, so the app is not the problem.

2 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I use QNAP Music Station for my own FLAC files and the YouTubeMusic app from the internet, which is AAC. I may change when Spotify goes to CD quality. 

AFAIK, YouTube only plays at 48kHz, not sure about bit rate. Music Station plays the original format though my main system with exaSound Playpoint and DAC and my secondary SOtM/iFi system, so the app is not the problem.

Which app are you using in Windows, where you have the issue?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

13 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Which app are you using in Windows, where you have the issue?

I use both apps with a Windows laptop. Regardless of which of these two apps I use, or how the music is recorded, music is sent to the DAC at one set format, currently 24/96.

Edit: If I use the Korg DAC and Korg AudioGate app, music is not converted, remains in its original format. But the issue I think is the driver, not the app. If the DAC uses the Windows driver, sample rate does not change, regardless of the recorded format.

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I was unaware that QNAP had a native Windows app. I’ve used it via web browser. 

How do you select the audio output device with the QNAP app?

Music Station uses a web browser, but surely it is an app? To play from the laptop, I select Streaming Mode. The other streamers all play via DLNA or Cast.

image.thumb.png.412407ce89c0241265ea1f0b9480b35e.png

I just changed DAC, from the Modius to the iFi iOne, because the Modius does not show sample rate. I have the proprietary iFi driver, but the behaviour has not changed in Windows. Whatever sample rate I've selected in the Windows Sound Panel is what the DAC is seeing, regardless of recorded rate.

Question:
Does that happen only with remote files that are streamed from your NAS ?
Or does it happen as well with local files from your LT ? (Guess you wrote playing from my LT & Streaming mode, which made me wonder)
-Thinking about a processor limitation in your NAS as a reason why streaming could be limited to PCM ..
Good night, DT

16 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

Question:
Does that happen only with remote files that are streamed from your NAS ?
Or does it happen as well with local files from your LT ? (Guess you wrote playing from my LT & Streaming mode, which made me wonder)
-Thinking about a processor limitation in your NAS as a reason why streaming could be limited to PCM ..
Good night, DT

I play files from my NAS to several different systems. 

1. Wi-Fi to Windows laptop, USB to DAC
  2. Ethernet to RPi, Schiit Eitr, coax to DAC
  3. Wi-Fi,  bridge, Playpoint Streamer, USB to DAC
  4. Wi-Fi, bridge, SOtM sMS-200, USB to DAC

Using Music Station, systems 2-4 play music in the original format (16/44.1, 24/88.2, etc.). Only system #1 changes the format, to whatever single value is selected in the Sound Panel. This format change only happens with my Windows laptop and tablet.

After  a couple more tests, it seems the app does matter. PowerDVD plays back at the original sample rate. Korg plays at the original rate, but only with a Korg DAC. Windows Media Player, foobar2000 and Music Station only playback at a single sample rate. 

I guess I'll just live with it. It's not a big deal because it's only a desktop system, doesn't affect my main system. Thanks to both of you.