IGNORED

What’s so bad about cpu fans?

TimF

Further note to the above.

I did a simple experiment - To XMP or not my 3200mhz ram ?

Switch on XMP - this was my default HQPlayer/AO3 option. Hmmh! a hint of High freq raspiness on the high notes of some super HF recorded female singer's renditions.

SO I switched off the XMP and default the 3200mhz ram to 2400mhz. Sounds a bit smoother - noticeable to my ears.

SO the search for 8gb Apacer ECC unbuffered DDR4 2600mhz DRAM is the next upgrade. I now believe what others are hearing with Apacer ECC DRAM.

It is just that I need more than 4x4 gb of such ram. And it is now much more available on mouser.com but I am waiting for semiconductor price squeeze to end. It is still Too expensive now. 300 plus USD for this 4x4 DRAM.

Oh to others reading my post, I DIY the entire pc server. Instead of a pre-built which would put the price tag at 3500 USD or much more, I assembled everything myself. The present server build would be at about say 2000USD with the i11900k CPU and Z590 mobo upgrade. (Disregard the Z490 and 10700k costs!) So relatively affordable - something economic but sounding damn good for the money. 

I hv the 11900k as my new HQplayer Server and intend to run my previous 10700k as the NAA ...Presently I use the SOTM SM200 Ultra Neo as the endpoint .. also a quad core Atom minipc that was my previous NAA. I find that the ability of the VRM to deliver big current / big power delivers a very dynamic rich SQ!

Yes it is possible to power fans externally! I hv all my fans on an externally fan controller and separate PSU. Even the AIO Pump can be powered this way but I lose Pump RPM And cooling water flowrate ... so I leave this connected to the Mobo . but the pump is only Voltage regulated so no PWM fluctuations like the 4 pin fans.

Your mobo BIOS must allow bypassing of CPU Fans .. otherwise u need a special fan PCB work around solution . PM Me if u wish to discuss

8 hours ago, Rovo said:

kelvinwsy, 

I would be interested to know how you controlled your (CPU) fans separate from the motherboard. Would you like to share some details (special fan PCB)?

Kind regards, 

Robert

Rovo 

I sent u a Private Mail so as not to clog up this thread