IGNORED

First music server - is my spec rubbish?

TimF

3 hours ago, TimF said:

Reading further the network card choice and power strategy look sub optimal. 

Depends what you're trying to accomplish and how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Personally I've had really good luck with fiber Nics. Some prefer to stick with copper though.

There are various useful threads here which cover the networking portion. Please check my profile for some ideas.

Lots of good questions. I agree it makes sense to start now with the HDPlex 500W and upgrade later 

As far as CPU many here are very happy with the 10900K / 3950X. If I were to start my build today I would probably go with either of these for a single CPU build.

Go with Z590 if you can. 

Yes I happily use an older chip but I suspect the new chips with more cores provide a larger more dynamic sound (all else equal). Would I go with an older chip today? Probably not, unless I got a super good deal on parts.

To power the 5V cards, good power matters here too. You'll want to look at Uptone JS-2, JCAT Optimo or Initio, Farad Super3, Sean Jacobs DC3 / DC4, or Teddy Pardo as some seem to be happy with all of these.

Yes, the Taiko can handle the 5v cards via internal power or from the pins directly. I have not compared it to external power for my usb/nvme.

As for your last suggestion, I believe someone tried powering the Taiko via the Hdplex and it didn't quite work as expected. I can't recall who nor do I know if this occured for multiple user or if it was a one off. I don't think it would hurt to try. Yes the Hdplex can power the cards as well.